Koodo Community

Community

Solved

New Phone, How to pay off old tab!

How do I pay off my bill AND entire TAB so I can purchase a new phone?

23 replies

If you go get a new phone, the new phone will be added to your tab up to the max tab amount. Say you owe $30 left on your tab. The phone you want costs $350 and you have a medium tab. Your tab would go to the $300 to owe and you would have to pay $80 up front.(the $50 over the tab amount and the $30 difference that is still owed on the tab). Just an example but hope that helps you out unless you mean you wish to pay off tab and bill to leave koodo in which case cancel service and pay it all off in one bill.
I just got back from the store and they said I had to pay my bill for this month (which is now done) and completely pay the tab BEFORE even thinking about a new phone. So now that the bill is paid, can I just go in and pay the TAB and get my new phone or...?
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

I just got back from the store and they said I had to pay my bill for this month (which is now do...

Yes you should be able to go in and get the phone with a difference going on your tab. Depending on your current plan though with the new tab systems you may be required to change your plan to continue running the tab. If your plan is currently under $30 a month you will be required to switch or if you go to a large tab like tab large for a $500 tab you will be required to take one of the rip off tab large plans they have. An employee at the kiosk should be able to explain all that to you. Edit: I don't understand why they required you to go pay your bill unless it was past due in order to upgrade your device.
Alright, I'm currently looking at getting the Galaxy S4 on a Large Tab, my existing tab is only like $90 anyways.
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

Alright, I'm currently looking at getting the Galaxy S4 on a Large Tab, my existing tab is only l...

$410 of the new phone would be able to be added to the new tab. You will have to switch your plan to a tab large plan if you are not on one. If you can afford to pay off a larger part of the galaxy s4 and go onto a tab medium plan you will save yourself a lot of money in the long run as the tab large plans really suck. You can check them out on the koodo website. The cheapest plan is $65 and you have to pay an additional $10 a month to help pay off your tab. Edit: according to koodo phone page the s4 is $675 so on a tab large you would have to pay $265 up front because of your current $90 you owe on your tab.
So you're saying, pay off as much of the TAB Large as I can right now? I can afford the monthly costs that's no big deal I'm just worried about any surprises.
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

So you're saying, pay off as much of the TAB Large as I can right now? I can afford the monthly c...

I'm saying your going to have a lot better plan if you go onto a tab medium plan and in the long run will save quite a bit of money. Tab medium is $300 which would require you paying $475 up front. It's up to you, just trying to help you get better plans for less money. Either way there shouldn't be any surprises as far as I know whether it be a tab large plan or a different plan. Just making sure you are aware your plan will most likely be affected as I don't know your current plan but I assume its not still being offered and isn't tab large with only $90 left on it.
Let me see if this is right. So for me to pay off my TAB and this months bill (Total of $142.68) Then buy the new Galaxy SIII on a Medium Tab, costing me $500 (-$300 so $200) I'd have to go in and pay them $342.68 And then I'd be better off? can someone explain?
Userlevel 6
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

Let me see if this is right. So for me to pay off my TAB and this months bill (Total of $142.6...

With the medium tab you plan selection is better. You get better value for your money. Otherwise you are right.
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

Let me see if this is right. So for me to pay off my TAB and this months bill (Total of $142.6...

Can you give me an example, if we're looking at medium tab plans I'm probably going for the $50 or $60 plans (Which is actually $55 & $65 because of tab or..?), how do these two compare to the LARGE tab?
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

I will compare for you using the $60 canada wide data plan and the $75 tab large plan as they will give you the exam same thing except for the cost of extra data which costs more on the $75 plan. On a tab medium you will have the $60 plan and have to pay an additional $5 a month for being on tab medium. Your monthly costs are $65 a month before taxes. 15% of 60 is 9 so each month $9+the additional $5 goes to pay off your tab. Your tab would be at $300. Divide that by your $14 a month to pay it off and it will take 21.4 months to pay off your tab. So in 22 months your tab is paid off. Over that 22 months you will have paid Koodo $65x22= $1430 before taxes for your plan and the extra $475 up front to pay off your current tab and go on tab medium instead of large. Bringing you to a grand total of $1905. On a tab large plan you have the same minutes and data and are paying $75 a month plus an additional $10 a month bringing your bill to $85 a month before taxes. 15% of 75 is 11.25 so each month $11.25= the additional $10 goes to pay off your tab bringing that to $21.25 a month. Your tab would be $500. Divide that by your $21.25 a month to pay it off and it will take 23.5 months so 24 months to pay off your tab. Over that 24 months you will have paid Koodo $85x24=$2040 before taxes for your plan plus the extra $275 up front to pay off your current tab and to get the phone on a tab large plan. Bringing your grand total to $2315. In the comparison the tab medium is paid off 2 months earlier so I am just going to add 2 more months of service at the same cost ($65x2) which will put your tab in the positive. so add $130 to $1905 giving you $2035 for the 24 months. In summary, for the exact same plan not counting overages, you will pay a total of $2035 on a tab medium which includes the extra up front you have to pay or else $2315 on a tab large. In the long run you would save $280 over that 24 months. I hope that helps you out. Here is a link to the plans: https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

You're amazing, thank's a lot!
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

I don't know what you need for data or minutes so just used those plans so I wouldn't have to calculate the difference in one plan offering less data or minutes than the other
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

I only call for extreme emergencies and I currently have 500mb, so I want 1GB. Recommended plan?
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

On a tab large plan your cheapest for 1GB of data would be the $75 plan which would give you unlimited minutes and the 1GB of data. Extra data would be $10 per 500MB. Extra $10/month on top for being on tab large Tab medium you could go with the $40 plan giving you 200 minutes and 200MB of data with additional data at $5/250MB. This would put you at $55 a month at 950MB of data or $60 a month at 1.2 GB of data. Each plan up from there will equal $60 by the time you get to the 1GB of data but gives more minutes. The overages become cheaper however if you go over 1GB in your data. Extra fee of $5 a month for tab medium to be added. Choice there is yours, if you need the whole 1GB of data your best bet would be on the tab medium side of things to take the $60 plan and have the unlimited minutes even though you don't need them. Take a look at the plans yourself and see what you need. Just recommending to avoid the tab large if you can afford it at first to save money.
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

I'll just go with the $60, only $20/mo more than before for about a million new features 😛
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

Quick question, can you change your tab plan at any time? (once a month..?)
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

If you really don't care about minutes and won't go over 1GB of data go for the $40 plan. If you go under for a month on data your bill will be cheaper, if you stay under 1.2GB and under 200 minutes your bill won't exceed $60 + $5 tab medium charge + taxes. Edit as I saw your question late: Best of my knowledge you can change it anytime but must stay above a certain priced plan for different tabs. So for tab medium I believe you must stay above a $30 plan. You also can't go back to a plan you previously had if you change if the plan is no longer offered. That being said, if koodo offers a promotion like the double minutes and double data they offered earlier this year you can easily go take advantage of the promotion and give up your current plan for it.
Userlevel 6
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

I don't think you can arbitrarily change the tab. If you are on medium tab and you want another phone and need to get the large tab you will have to change to those plans. But you can't then go from large tab down to medium, unless of course you pay the tab off.
Tyler Sayshal wrote:

Alright, I think medium might be out of the question money wise, hope not!
im no longer with koodo but i still have an old bill to pay, i cannot reach anyone to pay that bill. help!
Userlevel 7
Danah Kh wrote:

im no longer with koodo but i still have an old bill to pay, i cannot reach anyone to pay that bi...

Hi Danah, You can contact Koodo customer service at 1-866-995-6636, press 0 to bypass the automated system to speak with a rep and go from there. Hope that helps 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can pay it through online banking. Or call Koodo and make payment with your credit card ( keep pressing 0 to choose your options)