Koodo Community
Solved

My Data Cycle Ended On 9th Yet I Incurred Data On New Cycle?

• 11 October 2020
  • 7 replies

So as I stated in my title I guess my question is when does Koodo start the new data period usage? My question more in detail is that I was with Rogers for 15 years and the data was precisely measure up till 11:59pm midnight on the last day of the cycle. 

Knowing this I always used my remaining Gigs enjoying movies on Netflix that evening as I live in the country with little internet. There was never any data usage incurred the next day after the reset of billing period. 

So I recently joined Koodo (1 month now) and of course thinking the same applies as my billing cycle was ending on the 9th and thinking it would be 11:59pm on the 9th that I’d stop streaming I was enjoying a movie just after midnight that still didn’t end. I have the Netflix quality set to Good which usually takes 500 to 700 megabtyes to stream a movie. Regardless I was ¾ the way through and midnight struck so I finished the movie and my thinking was I’d use about 200 megs into the cycle. 

I finished, the movie shut off all electronics (tethering etc) and woke this morning to see I had used 800 megs? 

LOL 800 megs really? 

Does Koodo’s  Data billing cycle on month to month End @ Midnight? 

icon

Best answer by Bernard Koodo 11 October 2020, 19:42

@RockinRog Midnight is indeed the billing cycle end. In your case there is still data usage that occurred well past midnight.  Not sure what would have been left on to consume data. You do have an excellent deal though and tons of data even if you have to use most or all given you mentioned you live “in the country with little internet”.

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I always thought it was midnight. At what point did it seem to be?

Hi, well it seemed just before midnight guessing from the 800 Meg tally this morning! I’m usually pretty good at watching data in the 20 years I’ve lived here on my farm carrying a yard stick around every minute of the day regulating data on my “everything” metered internet life. 

Data caps have been the norm for me since dial-up ceased to exist. In one mere essence I yearn for dial up in that I never felt the grip of being metered back then. Now it’s been a steady cancer to even type a character in a keyboard as every stroke accounts for a bit it seems. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From Netflix's website they say:

• Low - 0.3 GB per hour per device

• Medium - SD: 0.7 GB per hour per device

• High - Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour per device for HD, and 7 GB per hour per device for Ultra HD

(If this helps any to figure things out)

I've also noticed that sometimes it can take a little bit for data to reset. Ive seen it be 5, 10, 15min after midnight before.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@RockinRog Midnight is indeed the billing cycle end. In your case there is still data usage that occurred well past midnight.  Not sure what would have been left on to consume data. You do have an excellent deal though and tons of data even if you have to use most or all given you mentioned you live “in the country with little internet”.

Thanks and yes for the clarification to Netflix streaming rates. I meant to say low but I stated good... Good Better Best was my analogy.

Regardless yes I didn't stop the movie at midnight as I was over half through it so keeping it streaming I didn't think I'd eat up much, certainly not 800 Meg's lol since I stream at the lowest rate. 

Regardless I do have 10 gigs left for 29 days so I'll be fine as I'm used to using 10 to 11 Gigs while on Rogers where I had a 15 Gig plan and always seemed to be in that zone hence why I went for Koodo with this lower priced plan.

Going forward I'm going to still walk on pins and needles on the last day of data cycle and may shift my Netflix binge night to the 2nd last night of the billing cycle until I'm 100 percent comfortable with the last day midnight cycle being accurate.

On another note since migrating to Koodo my Glasswire app I have setup to start logging data usage at midnight every 10th of each month and stop logging every 9th of each month at 2359 or 11:59pm isn't accurate.

My usage on Glasswire is always behind what Koodo reports and not just a little but 100s of Meg's.

I had Watchdog 3g data tracking which was bit for bit correct but doesn't work with Android 10. 

I've since killed the Glasswire app all together and use the Koodo login to check but wish to see a shiny new app that's near one click access to see data usage. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What is your billing cycle?

Are you sure your billing cycle is from 10th of the month to 9th of the next month?

From the included snap it’s correct, 10th to the 9th and from my past 3 days this is getting dangerous! I’ve never used this much data in 15 years in 3 days hola! I know much about settings (know how to sideload, install 3rd party ROMS on android, ADB etc) so it’s not like I don’t know this phone I’m using lol. In fact I downgraded to a sparten lowly Samsung A10e with the minimalist of specs cause I got tired of chasing the latest greatest for awhile and just want something that simply runs and dropping it doesn’t have me feeling like I have to attend a funeral for a lost friend! LOL. 

Data Smorgasborg! ;)