Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Moving out of province, keeping same number. Will I need to choose a new plan as I currently have a province-specific promo plan?

Basically I just moved and I need to show a proof of residency pretty quickly here! I was thinking of changing my address here on koodo in order to show it. The problem is, I have a Quebec promo plan that is much better than what is offered here in Ontario at the moment so I'd rather not be forced to switch, for the time being. I read that if I kept my number the same (which I plan on doing, for now) then I shouldn't have any trouble keeping the plan. Is this true? Thanks!

9 replies

Userlevel 2
False
Userlevel 6
You are right, if your number remains the same then you can keep your plan. Plans go by the area code of your phone number. So if you wish to keep your Quebec number then you will keep your Quebec promo plan. You have a canada wide plan so you will no get any roaming or long distance charges.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu Carrier wrote:

You are right, if your number remains the same then you can keep your plan. Plans go by the area ...

OP might not get long distance charges. But people in Ontario(his new home) might get long distance charge when they called him if they don't have a plan with Canada wide.
Userlevel 3
Hello Chris, 

The eligibility conditions for a Quebec promo plan are the following:
- a phone number with a Quebec area code, 
- a Quebec address (you need to be located in Quebec and to be using the local network towers).

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 3
Veronica wrote:

Hello Chris, 

- a pho...

If he updates his address through Self-Serve, you won't do anything, because you won't even know that he changed his address. 🙂
Veronica wrote:

Hello Chris, 

- a pho...

This is exactly why I feel confused. O_o
Userlevel 3
Here is how Koodo&TELUS' system works: If you have a QC number, then you can choose a QC plan. If you have an ON number, then you can choose an ON number. Their system does not care about your address. So update your address through Self-Serve, and no one will know anything. 😉 And even if they do, that "you must have an address that matches with your plan" policy is not really enforced by Koodo reps. It is your phone number that really matters.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not sure that using an address from a utility that:
a) is mobile in nature, and
b) allows you to update your address to anything you wish
will be acceptable as proof of residency.
More often a hydro bill, gas bill, tenancy agreement, landline bill or tax bill or other document associating your name with a fixed address offers proof of residency 

David wrote:

Not sure that using an address from a utility that:
a) is mobile in nature, and
b) allows you to ...

This is where it gets annoying - I've been nomadic and tend to stay in places on a sublease basis. My tax statement is from another province and I don't have my name on any of the other things you mentioned. I figure a cell phone bill would be a decent start, but totally agree that it being mobile in nature is problematic!