Koodo Community

Community

Lower cost per MB over allotment & Allow us to purchase extra data addon

Userlevel 7
So I'm over my Allotment of data for this month. and while 2 cents per megabyte over seems low it's actually 20$ more per gigabyte. I know it's been mentioned before but I would really like to be able to: a) Purchase Extra gigabytes at 10$ each in ADDON form. b) Share a data bucket with my account (since my wife barely uses her allotment) c) See Koodo lower the overage cost from 2 cpm to 1 cpm My 2 cents (wish it were one)

21 replies

Userlevel 7
I agree with all of these ideas! I think they add a lot more value and flexibility to Koodo. Adding onto point B is I would like to see airtime sharing as well. Lots of my clients ask about sharing minutes and it's a real shame Koodo doesn't offer it. Yeah, at $50 you get unlimited talk anyway, but the problem is not everyone wants to spend $50 per month and there would be a rule that you cannot share the unlimited talk plan. It would still work out, though.
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

I agree with all of these ideas! I think they add a lot more value and flexibility to Koodo. A...

Agree. They sound like good ideas.
Userlevel 5
A data add-on for those heavy data users sounds like a great idea. It's always a plus if they lower the overage charges too 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I completely agree and think data is highly overpriced.
Price of data in canada for all cell phone companies should be labeled as criminal, since the prices are highway robbery! Try being on pay and talk on telus, $2/meg or can get an addon plan with lowest being $10 for a whopping 100MB!
Bob Smith wrote:

Price of data in canada for all cell phone companies should be labeled as criminal, since the pri...

heh, or 35/GB on koodo pre paid. The price of pre paid data is the only reason I'm on a pro rated monthly contract. The day that there's a decent pre paid package out there I'll switch immediately back to pre paid.
Agree with everything. Of course, in my mind it's still compromising. I want an unlimited data package. But I'll settle for the baby step.
Userlevel 4
Data is the money maker for all telecommunication companies. An idea like this is amazing Lower priced data + more potential data users = more $$$ overall....no?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Canadian companies aren't interested in competition. The status quo suits them. When more people switch to newcomers, then you'll see improvement. In this holiday season we actually saw some "decent" (at best) plans from Koodo, Virgin, and Fido that were not too bad. Still not competitive even against Wind's non-promo plans, but it's a step in the right direction.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
And to get back on topic, I believe that data overage should be billed per GB (or even per 500 MB, if possible), not per MB.
is it worth getting the s4 without a data plan? or is it better to stick with a cheaper phone if you wont get data? i have wifi at home
Userlevel 7
Andrew Smon wrote:

is it worth getting the s4 without a data plan? or is it better to stick with a cheaper phone if ...

It depends on your usage... Wi-Fi is great at home or in certain areas but having a data plan gives you full functionality of your device as smartphones are designed around it. It's definitely useful to have, especially on a high-end Android smartphone like the S4.
Andrew Smon wrote:

is it worth getting the s4 without a data plan? or is it better to stick with a cheaper phone if ...

thankyou, im thinking about getting the s4 on the$25 plan, am i better off buying the nokia lumia 520 or nexus or will the s4 still give me a much greater expierience even lacking that extra data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andrew Smon wrote:

I wouldn't recommend any particular phone based on your plan. All of those phones are equally crippled without a data plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andrew Smon wrote:

If you are at home when you basically use your phone for data uses like browsing the Web or using Facebook ect like myself than go with the best phone you can. If you aren't home much or where there's wifi available and like to check your Facebook or surf the Web while your out and about then go with the cheaper phone and a plan with data, it really depends how you use use your phone. I use my phone like a phone while I'm out and about & like a smartphone when I'm at home personally, If I do use my phone like a smartphone when I'm out its usually just playing a game or something like that while waiting at an appointment or something and things that use data can wait till I'm home usually. The only thing I use a fair bit while out that uses data is the navigation or Google Maps apps to find places I'm going if I haven't been there before.
Userlevel 7
Imo you should get the most phone you can afford and if you get the S4 you will not be sorry should you decide later on to get data or when you do use wifi. Remember you can play games on these phones too so the more processing power you have the better. Also the android app lineup is far superior to windows phone.
Chad Burr wrote:

Imo you should get the most phone you can afford and if you get the S4 you will not be sorry shou...

so if i later decide to go with a data plan can i just switch my plan the next month?
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Imo you should get the most phone you can afford and if you get the S4 you will not be sorry shou...

Yup, u can change once per billing cycle free through selfserve
Chad Burr wrote:

thankyou so much, ill be sure to pick up an s4 very sooon! if they still have them in stock 😕
I have different prices for additional data on all my 3 phones. It is a pain to keep track of.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
By way of comparison, 1200 minutes = $30/mo, 2.5 GB data + 15000 texts = $30/mo + $10/mo for second line = $70 a month for a 2-phone family plan if you bring your own phone to a certain US carrier with Koodo-compatible hardware. Calls to Canada are a whopping 4 cents per minute extra. And customer service is US based, very understandable and friendly. AND if you are anything above brain-dead, there are NEVER overages or wastage because you can change your plan RETROACTIVELY up to the last day before billing --- move up a tier or drop down according to your current circumstances.