Koodo Community

Koodo sent me Text Data Notifications for 50% and 90% usage (6GB) within 2 minutes !

• 30 August 2019
  • 5 replies

I connected my phone to my laptop as hotspot to send two emails this evening. At that time my phone had nothing 'on', completely used less than 10 MB Data for sending two scanned documents. Previously had only 16MB usage in whole day. Before that in whole billing cycle I used around 1646MB data when I still had 11 days left until today to complete the rest of the Data of more than 6GB. I have 8GB of Data in total on my monthly plan.
So, once I sent my email from the laptop through the tethering, I found there were two text Data notifications on my phone from Koodo. One is for 50% usage alarm and the second one is for the 90% usage alarm which came 2 minutes after the first one.
I logged in to the Self Service from phone it showed overall 7733MB had been used when I found in details on that last minute there was a 6081.25MB usage.
Normally if I was streaming Youtube it would be shown less 300MB for an hour span. Last year once, I tethered Data continuously for almost 3 hours on my same laptop through the same iPhone and it was still less than 700MB for the whole period !

What I can recall,
  1. On my laptop there were some idle tabs only, there was not a single streaming was turned on in the laptop or in the phone. I normally do not download anything and definitely there was no such activity at that moment.a
  2. The 6081.25MB usage occurred on a single moment on the phone, it was not spread over for few hours, usage shows exact minute with that 6081.25MB usage.
  3. I had phone hotspot or tethering 'on' for around 5 minutes.
  4. The 50% and 90% text notifications came within 2 minutes which seems within these two minutes my phone modem downloaded more than 4GB Data which is literally impossible to do without losing much battery life on my old iPhone 6.
  5. My phone battery usage was decreased only 4% during this 5 minutes tethering period. Normally my phone loses more than 20% battery life while downloading 200MB only through its cellular modem even when streaming Youtube. Surprisingly, that time no other activity was 'on' in my Laptop other than a few normal idle tabs.
So, I was wondering if anyone else has similar experience of losing over 6GB within less than 4 minutes on an old iPhone6 while using Koodo Data?

Can anyone anticipate what exactly could lead to consume this 6081.25MD in less than 4 minutes based on the information I shared above?
[Electrical Engineer here, you can use technical terms to explain]

[After making a few unsuccessful calls, chatting with a terrible bot for more than 10 minutes to schedule a callback, then waiting for 45 minutes to get a callback and talking for another 56 minutes to make them understand the above issues.......after all these hassles Koodo offered me a discounted plan, Thanks 🙂 ]

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Windows 10 > Settings > Network & Internet > Data usage > View usage per app
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Any sort of background update could easily burn through that much data that quickly. Wether it was an app, program, windows update, etc.
It is a MacBook. All types of update/upgrade was disabled.
I had only some document based tabs open, no streaming or downloading except sent out two short emails which are less than 10MB.
I used 5 minutes of tethering to send out these two emails and 6GB Data was gone.

Few months ago one day, I used 3 hours of continuous Youtube streaming on the same laptop using the same phone tethering which costed me less than 700MB data from the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I had only some document based tabs open, no streaming or downloading except sent out two short emails which are less than 10MB.
I used 5 minutes of tethering to send out these two emails and 6GB Data was gone.

Few months ago one day, I used 3 hours of continuous Youtube streaming on the same laptop using the same phone tethering which costed me less than 700MB data from the phone.

There is literally a virtually infinite list of things that possibly could have used that much data. Nobody here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer on what did. You might be able to find out yourself if your computer keeps track of data used, otherwise your guess is as good as ours.

YouTube streaming eats up way less than an update would. Obviously something was missed in your disabling of updates, unless you're going to tell me you wiped your computer of everything but the OS. Every individual app will have the ability to be encoded to override your general settings, and there's no telling which one could be the culprit.

Well, there MAY be a way to tell
"There's a simple way to check your data usage on a Mac, too. Open up the Activity Monitor. While there, click on the Network tab to see current data usage and determine which apps and programs are hogging the most."
Not sure if you'll be able to identify which one used data when you were tethered though, since mac is overpriced garbage and I don't personally own one to confirm what data they show in that Activity Monitor.

Hope that can help you get to the bottom of the issue though, for future prevention.