Koodo Community
Question

koodo ripe me over 100 dollars! without any text?

• 30 September 2020
  • 11 replies

I opened my bill this month and found that it was as high as 178 dollars! The bill said that my international call time exceeded, so they charged 116 dollars extra ! What makes me feel strange is that when I used international long-distance calls, they never have a phone alert, saying that they maybe will charge more, but when I call Canadian long-distance even is unlimited plan, they will say that they maybe will charge more! And why the extra charge of more than 50 dollars, they don't have any text, is it that Canada companies are now scams like this? What kind of magical  place is there? Doesn’t even call customer service exist?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You are expected to account for the international minutes you have with your plan unfortunately. As for warnings, I'm not sure at what pojnt it's supposed to kick in. 

Koodo has transitioned to pushing self-serve as much as possible. You can still speak to a Rep by sending a private message to Koodo via Facebook messenger or dm via Twitter to get it sorted out or schedule a callback on koodo.com/chat since billing disputes require a rep

Userlevel 7

If you buy a limited international call time, you should track the remaining time and you should be responsible to pay for exceeding the limit.  Did you check your email and text messages for a koodo exceedance warning?

I am not sure about koodo’s procedure to notify a customer when approaching the time limit but, as a customer I think that such notification should be mandatory.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you buy a limited international call time, you should track the remaining time and you should be responsible to pay for exceeding the limit.  Did you check your email and text messages for a koodo exceedance warning?

I am not sure about koodo’s procedure to notify a customer when approaching the time limit but, as a customer I think that such notification should be mandatory.

Sadly the CRTC ruled since you can readily keep track of minutes ou use while data is much more difficult to account for, minutes do not have to have a “shock free”type etup that Koodo has for data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@nim4165 ,

There is no notification of consumption of long distance minutes. A customer can watch their usage in self-serve, and tally it themselves. It was expected that customers could account for their calling, but not sensibly their data use, thus data notification was required by the CRTC, but not minutes.

Userlevel 5

I didn't think Koodo gave warnings for phone minutes? I thought just for data usage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I didn't think Koodo gave warnings for phone minutes? I thought just for data usage?

I need to dig but the overall warning would be racking up 50/100 dollars worth of overages in general.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I need to dig but the overall warning would be racking up 50/100 dollars worth of overages in general.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm?linktype=ge-footer

Section E2 and E3.  Applicable to data overage only

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm?linktype=ge-footer

Section E2 and E3.  Applicable to data overage only

For some reason I thought It might include all charges.

does koodo want us make log every minute by minutes! 

There is no way to find out how many minutes you have left, unless you write it on paper/log details!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can check self serve, but yes if you had multiple calls, you'd still need to add it up manually. I think we all agree it's a terrible system, but that's the way it is, sadly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

does koodo want us make log every minute by minutes! 

There is no way to find out how many minutes you have left, unless you write it on paper/log details!

Unfortunately no carrier gives a talk or long distance warning, nor has it been mandated by the CRTC.  The same is also true with traditional landlines.  Throughout the history of telephones in Canada (including landlines), you have always needed to track your own talk and long distance minutes.