Feedback
Koodo mobile problems | Koodo Community
Koodo Community

Koodo mobile problems

• 12 September 2021
  • 11 replies

I have been a Koodo mobile customer for about 2 months.  Allow me to share my experience so far.

I signed up for a phone plan and purchased a new phone via the website, in July of 2021.  When the new phone arrived, something was wrong with it as it could not detect the SIM card and the SIM tray was sticking.  I visited the local Koodo kiosk to see if they could help me and they told me that they could.

At the kiosk, they informed me that there was something wrong with the phone.  They exchanged it for a new phone and everything appeared to work.  They told me that they could not process a return for the faulty phone via the kiosk since it was ordered online, so Koodo would send me a box and a mailing label so that I could return the phone.  They also told me that it might take a while for my first bill to process but to check it when it did, to make sure everything was done correctly.  So, I left the kiosk with a seemingly working phone, waiting for a first bill and waiting to receive shipping instructions for the faulty phone.

Fast-forward to the beginning of September and I receive an email (my first email) from Koodo, indicating that I was late in paying my phone bill.  I logged into the website and saw not only that bills had been produced (but no notification received) in both July and August, but for some reason, my account had been set up with 2 phone lines and I was being charged for both.

I arranged a call with Koodo and told the agent that I was looking for 3 things.

1) I needed the second line removed and the associated charges taken off my bill, since I never asked for a second line (reflected in my initial order), have no access to the second line (which Koodo would be aware of since it was their employee who installed my SIM card at the Kiosk), and have never used the second line (which Koodo could verify through their usage logs).

2) I wanted the late charges removed from my bill since I was never notified of any bill being sent and since the bills were all incorrect.  I told the agent on the phone, I would be happy to pay a bill that was correct, but I should not be penalized for not paying a bill that is both wrong and was not sent to me.

3) I wanted the shipping box and mailing label sent to me so that I could return the faulty phone to Koodo, per the direction given to me at the Koodo kiosk.

After spending about 1.5 hours in total on the phone, I was told the following in response:

1) The agent stated there was a note on my file that I wanted a second number.  As a result, Koodo is unwilling to reverse the charges for the second line AND unwilling to remove the second line going forward.

2) Koodo are unwilling to remove the late charges from my bill; and

3) The agent also stated that Koodo has a policy that phones must be returned within a 30-day period.  This policy was not shared with me before and I'm not sure how it even relates to me since the onus was on Koodo to send me a shipping box and label before I could return the phone.  So, Koodo exceeded  their own 30-day policy in this matter, and in spite of the fact I'm not sure how I could have returned a phone without being directed how and where to do so, their position is that I must pay for a faulty phone at full-price through my tab.

As mentioned, I spent about 1.5 hours on the phone.  The agent on the phone stated he felt I was being treated unfairly and that he agreed with everything that I said.  However, I was told that this was Koodo's policy throughout several different departments and that no one at Koodo would give me a different response.

I do hope that Koodo reconsiders this position since today I contacted the CCTS, the Better Business Bureau, the Public Interest Advocacy Centre, CBC Go Public, in addition to tagging Koodo via social media on both Facebook and Twitter.
Does anyone have any thoughts regarding ways forward to come to a better resolution?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There are couple of issues there. I would separate it and it is easier for you to dispute or suport your argument. 

1. The phone return: when did you send an email to ask for repair/return? Was it within 30 days? I believe they used that one as the milestone to calculate the return/exchange. 
  2. The second line: I had no clue on this, did you order 2 lines? Or it was a temporary number for you and later you ported a number from somewhere else into Koodo? 

Hi - thanks for your response.

1.  Yes, definitely within the 30 days.  I believe I placed the order online on July 2nd.  The phone arrived July 6th and that was when I had the issue with the SIM card.  I’ve installed SIM cards before but the tray was also sticking and I was hesitant about how much pressure was too much in getting it to budge.  So, on July 7th I went to the Koodo kiosk and basically said “can you help me with this?”

Technically, I didn’t initiate the exchange, in the sense that I didn’t specifically ask for one, I just asked if they could get my phone working.  It was the Koodo employee at the kiosk who insisted there was something wrong with the phone I was sent, and who said they would replace it.  All of that happened 5 days after the original order was placed.  After that it was just me waiting for them to send shipping instructions, like they said they would. 

In fact, when I finally spoke to them on the phone (which was yesterday, September 10th)  it was me that brought it up.  I mentioned the issue with the two lines and the issue with the late fees, but I also said something along the lines of “while I have you on the phone, don’t forget you are supposed to be sending me shipping details for the faulty phone”.

2. Nope, definitely didn’t order 2 lines.  The only thing I said in my initial order was that I had an existing phone number from another provider, and I wanted to retain that number.  I did that through the online order and I reiterated it when I spoke to the guy at the kiosk, just so it would be 100% clear what I wanted.  I was also at the kiosk for over an hour getting the phone sorted out, the Koodo employee was the one who installed my SIM card and there was no discussion of a second line at that point, so I think my online order was clear and I think the guy at the kiosk was clear what phone number I was using and the fact there was no other number in use.  I honestly have no idea how/where the second line came into play.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1. As you ordered online, the store couldn’t help. They only can tell you to send email to the webstore and ask for return/exchange as per their policy https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/returning-or-exchanging-your-koodo-phone If you didn’t send an email, then the return/exchange wasn’t initiated (and it is more than 30 days now). If you think the store kiosk misled you, you can make a complaint about them and ask their manager to answer. However, the phone should be still under warranty, you can ask them to repair it as per their policy https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/warranty-and-repair-policy .
  2. Koodo always create a temporary number and activated your line on it. Once you received the SIM and phone, you can port your number into Koodo. This is a normal practice from them. For some reasons, the shipping was delay, you can ask for  credit for the days loss due to shipping. I would suggest you check the page 3 and 4 of the PDF bill in your selfserve for more detail.

1.  --- “As you ordered online, the store couldn’t help”
    Ok, but the store DID help.  Perhaps that was their error, but then that would be on the store, not me.

--- “They only can tell you to send email to the webstore and ask for return/exchange as per their policy”

From my perspective as customer, they spoke and acted as a representative of Koodo.  If they did so in violation of their own policy then that should be on them and Koodo should step in and cover any associated costs incurred through their employees violating their own policy.  It is not my role as customer to argue Koodo employees out of breaching Koodo policy.

2.  Once again, all I can say is that through the online order form I stated I had an existing number that I wanted to port.  At no point did I ask for a second line, at no point did I use a second line.  If Koodo has an internal process for managing that, and if they did not implement that process correctly, then again, Koodo should step up and cover the cost of that mis-implementation.  Telling me that they won’t cover the cost because “they have a note that I asked for a second number” is, in my opinion, not a legally defensible position.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Let me flag this to a rep for you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1.  --- “As you ordered online, the store couldn’t help”
    Ok, but the store DID help.  Perhaps that was their error, but then that would be on the store, not me.

--- “They only can tell you to send email to the webstore and ask for return/exchange as per their policy”

From my perspective as customer, they spoke and acted as a representative of Koodo.  If they did so in violation of their own policy then that should be on them and Koodo should step in and cover any associated costs incurred through their employees violating their own policy.  It is not my role as customer to argue Koodo employees out of breaching Koodo policy.

2.  Once again, all I can say is that through the online order form I stated I had an existing number that I wanted to port.  At no point did I ask for a second line, at no point did I use a second line.  If Koodo has an internal process for managing that, and if they did not implement that process correctly, then again, Koodo should step up and cover the cost of that mis-implementation.  Telling me that they won’t cover the cost because “they have a note that I asked for a second number” is, in my opinion, not a legally defensible position.
  1. They are Koodo rep but they cannot help you initiated the return. I am not sure where the misunderstanding/miscommunication was from as I only read a complaint from you. As I mentioned earlier, you can always complain to make Koodo better.
  2. They can’t give you your number at the time of the order as the number was with another carrier. Only the owner (you) of the number could initiate the port. That was why they gave you a temporary number and ask you to transfer yourself later. This also happened to other carriers. You can find a Fido customer here https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Community-Archives/Just-changed-from-Koodo-to-Fido-but-my-old-number-did-not-get/m-p/122961
  1.  The Koodo rep stated that Koodo would be sending me a box and a shipping label in order to perform the return.  Now, perhaps they mis-spoke in saying that - I would have no way of knowing if they did or didn’t.  In any case, from my perspective as customer, a Koodo representative told me that Koodo would do something and they did not.

If we start down the road where I should not/can not believe what Koodo representatives tell me, then that creates a very difficult environment for me to interact productively with
    Koodo in any scenario.

2. I agree that they did not give me the number at the time of the order.  I think I stated that I requested a port of my existing number.  I re-stated this request for clarity when I spoke to the rep at the kiosk.  At no point did I request a second number and at no point did I discuss wanting a second number with anyone at Koodo.  As noted, Koodo may employee another number as a means of fulfilling customer requirements, but once again, I don’t believe the onus should fall on the customer to pay for internal processes, whether executed correctly or incorrectly.  I believe as a customer, I should pay for the goods and services that I asked for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1.  The Koodo rep stated that Koodo would be sending me a box and a shipping label in order to perform the return.  Now, perhaps they mis-spoke in saying that - I would have no way of knowing if they did or didn’t.  In any case, from my perspective as customer, a Koodo representative told me that Koodo would do something and they did not.

If we start down the road where I should not/can not believe what Koodo representatives tell me, then that creates a very difficult environment for me to interact productively with
    Koodo in any scenario.

2. I agree that they did not give me the number at the time of the order.  I think I stated that I requested a port of my existing number.  I re-stated this request for clarity when I spoke to the rep at the kiosk.  At no point did I request a second number and at no point did I discuss wanting a second number with anyone at Koodo.  As noted, Koodo may employee another number as a means of fulfilling customer requirements, but once again, I don’t believe the onus should fall on the customer to pay for internal processes, whether executed correctly or incorrectly.  I believe as a customer, I should pay for the goods and services that I asked for.

I do not know the contents of the conversation between you and the Koodo rep, but it is clear that exchanges and returns for online orders should be done through online channels. You were supposed to contact the Koodo Web Store at koodo.webstore@koodomobile.com and request a return slip to send it back to them. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/returning-or-exchanging-your-koodo-phone

On a related note, did the Koodo rep not give you a Customer Service Agreement to sign for the second line? I doubt they would suggest that you wanted to add a new line without agreeing to this transaction. This makes it even more confusing for me, since they would not open one without your consent. Moreover, you should be able to see this second line on your Self-Serve account.

Considering that two months has passed, you would have found out about this additional line upon logging in to your account and paying for your monthly bill. Why did it take so long to realize there was a problem past the 30-day return period?

--- “You were supposed to contact the Koodo Web Store at koodo.webstore@koodomobile.com and request a return slip to send it back to them”

Well, as I said above, I didn’t approach the kiosk asking for a return.  I asked if they could help me to open up the SIM tray and see if there was something wrong with the SIM card.  It was the rep at the kiosk that stated there was something wrong with the phone and that they would exchange it.  Again, perhaps the rep spoke out of turn and/or out of accordance with Koodo policy, but again, I don’t think it’s my role as customer to police that.  If a Koodo representative misled me, then I was misled.

No, I did not sign any agreement for the second line.  I mentioned this to the support agent over the phone, that if they checked my initial order they would have seen no mention of two lines and no request for two lines, nor would they find any subsequent request or agreement or any documentation of any kind that either originated from me or had my signature on it, regarding a second line.  His position seemed to be “we have a note that says so” but (and I made this point to him), I’m not sure how Koodo feel that having an internal note authorizes them to charge me for something that I didn’t request.

Thirdly, as mentioned in my original post, I did not log in to pay my monthly bill because I was told by the rep at the kiosk that it would take some time to work out my first bill and I would be notified when it was ready.  I received no notifications after that and it wasn’t until a few days ago that I received an email noting that my bill payments were overdue.  Once I logged in, I saw 2 bills had been created but I received no notifications of that.  Once I checked the bills I saw the issues regarding the second line and I contacted Koodo, as I stated.  My theory (although I have no way to substantiate this) is that my account was set to notify of a bill via text message.  The primary number listed on my account is the second line number, which I do not have access to.  So, I suspect bill notifications were texted to a number I do not have, which is why I did not receive them.  Again though, that’s just my working theory and not something that I can prove.  Until I can get my account fixed up, I have changed my notification method to send emails. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

--- “You were supposed to contact the Koodo Web Store at koodo.webstore@koodomobile.com and request a return slip to send it back to them”

Well, as I said above, I didn’t approach the kiosk asking for a return.  I asked if they could help me to open up the SIM tray and see if there was something wrong with the SIM card.  It was the rep at the kiosk that stated there was something wrong with the phone and that they would exchange it.  Again, perhaps the rep spoke out of turn and/or out of accordance with Koodo policy, but again, I don’t think it’s my role as customer to police that.  If a Koodo representative misled me, then I was misled.

No, I did not sign any agreement for the second line.  I mentioned this to the support agent over the phone, that if they checked my initial order they would have seen no mention of two lines and no request for two lines, nor would they find any subsequent request or agreement or any documentation of any kind that either originated from me or had my signature on it, regarding a second line.  His position seemed to be “we have a note that says so” but (and I made this point to him), I’m not sure how Koodo feel that having an internal note authorizes them to charge me for something that I didn’t request.

Thirdly, as mentioned in my original post, I did not log in to pay my monthly bill because I was told by the rep at the kiosk that it would take some time to work out my first bill and I would be notified when it was ready.  I received no notifications after that and it wasn’t until a few days ago that I received an email noting that my bill payments were overdue.  Once I logged in, I saw 2 bills had been created but I received no notifications of that.  Once I checked the bills I saw the issues regarding the second line and I contacted Koodo, as I stated.  My theory (although I have no way to substantiate this) is that my account was set to notify of a bill via text message.  The primary number listed on my account is the second line number, which I do not have access to.  So, I suspect bill notifications were texted to a number I do not have, which is why I did not receive them.  Again though, that’s just my working theory and not something that I can prove.  Until I can get my account fixed up, I have changed my notification method to send emails. 

It’s unfortunate this has led to a series of events leading to the current situation. That said, I believe you have done everything that you could. I would have suggested making a CCTS complaint, but you have already completed that. At this point, you can wait until a Koodo rep gets back to you.

Userlevel 4

@jonC I’d like to look into this for you. Please look for a private message from our @Koodo account.