I have been a Koodo mobile customer for about 2 months. Allow me to share my experience so far.
I signed up for a phone plan and purchased a new phone via the website, in July of 2021. When the new phone arrived, something was wrong with it as it could not detect the SIM card and the SIM tray was sticking. I visited the local Koodo kiosk to see if they could help me and they told me that they could.
At the kiosk, they informed me that there was something wrong with the phone. They exchanged it for a new phone and everything appeared to work. They told me that they could not process a return for the faulty phone via the kiosk since it was ordered online, so Koodo would send me a box and a mailing label so that I could return the phone. They also told me that it might take a while for my first bill to process but to check it when it did, to make sure everything was done correctly. So, I left the kiosk with a seemingly working phone, waiting for a first bill and waiting to receive shipping instructions for the faulty phone.
Fast-forward to the beginning of September and I receive an email (my first email) from Koodo, indicating that I was late in paying my phone bill. I logged into the website and saw not only that bills had been produced (but no notification received) in both July and August, but for some reason, my account had been set up with 2 phone lines and I was being charged for both.
I arranged a call with Koodo and told the agent that I was looking for 3 things.
1) I needed the second line removed and the associated charges taken off my bill, since I never asked for a second line (reflected in my initial order), have no access to the second line (which Koodo would be aware of since it was their employee who installed my SIM card at the Kiosk), and have never used the second line (which Koodo could verify through their usage logs).
2) I wanted the late charges removed from my bill since I was never notified of any bill being sent and since the bills were all incorrect. I told the agent on the phone, I would be happy to pay a bill that was correct, but I should not be penalized for not paying a bill that is both wrong and was not sent to me.
3) I wanted the shipping box and mailing label sent to me so that I could return the faulty phone to Koodo, per the direction given to me at the Koodo kiosk.
After spending about 1.5 hours in total on the phone, I was told the following in response:
1) The agent stated there was a note on my file that I wanted a second number. As a result, Koodo is unwilling to reverse the charges for the second line AND unwilling to remove the second line going forward.
2) Koodo are unwilling to remove the late charges from my bill; and
3) The agent also stated that Koodo has a policy that phones must be returned within a 30-day period. This policy was not shared with me before and I'm not sure how it even relates to me since the onus was on Koodo to send me a shipping box and label before I could return the phone. So, Koodo exceeded their own 30-day policy in this matter, and in spite of the fact I'm not sure how I could have returned a phone without being directed how and where to do so, their position is that I must pay for a faulty phone at full-price through my tab.
As mentioned, I spent about 1.5 hours on the phone. The agent on the phone stated he felt I was being treated unfairly and that he agreed with everything that I said. However, I was told that this was Koodo's policy throughout several different departments and that no one at Koodo would give me a different response.
I do hope that Koodo reconsiders this position since today I contacted the CCTS, the Better Business Bureau, the Public Interest Advocacy Centre, CBC Go Public, in addition to tagging Koodo via social media on both Facebook and Twitter.
Does anyone have any thoughts regarding ways forward to come to a better resolution?