Koodo Community

Koodo is not competitive with other providers

• 2 September 2020
  • 22 replies

I just want share my view about other provider giving 5gb to  10gb without any charge to existing customers with existing plans without even customers’ requests (apply to all ) . But Koodo in not to try compete with them so the loyal koodo customers like me feel we are not getting current market plans as the other provider giving much more data than we are getting from Koodo current time with same plan cost. I just want to request koodo management to level up there plans to other providers plan else many customers going to switch boats.

Other provider gives many perks like,

• 5 hr continuous data per month
  • Additional 5 to 10 gb data on existing plan (people of $30 plan got 12gb data per month) from national provider
  • Perks like each week free stuff( coffee, burger etc.)

So these are the small things but promote me to take connection from them rather then koodo

This topic has been closed for comments

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

https://community.koodomobile.com/plans-add-ons-66722/koodo-is-not-competitive-with-other-providers-7799654?postid=19863257#post19863257

Keep it in one post.

I completely agree, it’s sad. I called in last night to see what could be done, waited 20 minutes while the rep checked with “support” and they simply said no, sorry about that.

It’s a wonder after being a customer for 8 years with multiple lines, and referring many others to Koodo, that Koodo would rather reward new customers with more value. Good offers are great, but make them accessible to everyone, especially loyal customers! You’re forcing loyal customers out, when the ones who come for promos will be gone as soon as the next provider can offer something better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am actually interested in the free burger. Which carrier is it? Is that Fido? I might sign up for a temporary line, get the burger then return the SIM.

@Dinh Is this sarcasm? If you have nothing of value to add, why say anything at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Dinh Is this sarcasm? If you have nothing of value to add, why say anything at all?

It was my personal view on the offer of the carrier.

So what was your view on their perk? Do you like them?

Userlevel 7

Do whatever is best for you. Koodo does have good promotions from time to time (that’s why I moved from Rogers last month). Perks come and go, you will still need a solid, reliable provider with good coverage at an attractive price. At the end of the day it is up to you to make decisions and vote with your wallet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I just want share my view about other provider giving 5gb to  10gb without any charge to existing customers with existing plans without even customers’ requests (apply to all ) .

Im curious.  Which provider is giving 5 to 10gb to exisiting customer with no extra charge?  I would like to move to that provider.  Please me move over.

I just want share my view about other provider giving 5gb to  10gb without any charge to existing customers with existing plans without even customers’ requests (apply to all ) .

Im curious.  Which provider is giving 5 to 10gb to exisiting customer with no extra charge?  I would like to move to that provider.  Please me move over.

LOL I swear you guys are paid to be condescending and supportive of Koodo because your comments are useless otherwise. These are legitimate customers voicing their concern and opinion. Please move me over...lol good one. The OP is saying that other providers give promotions to existing customer without them having to beg, which is only common sense. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Then what's stopping you guys from moving over to those awesome providers?

Two things are possible here. Either Koodo sees the error of their ways and tomorrow we'll all see this 5gb add-on appear in our accounts. In that case we'll all be happy.

Or they won't change the way they operate. In that case vote with your feet, go with the other guys. At least you'll be happy that you have found such a generous company.

No need to hang around here being miserable, is there?

It’s not a matter of being miserable. I’m voicing concern over the choice of a company that I have supported and referred to over the years by being both and customer and sales rep. You’re right, we’ll see what happens…but it’d be nice if the same support was extended to loyal customers instead of having to move providers to receive the latest promos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s not a matter of being miserable. I’m voicing concern over the choice of a company that I have supported and referred to over the years by being both and customer and sales rep. You’re right, we’ll see what happens…but it’d be nice if the same support was extended to loyal customers instead of having to move providers to receive the latest promos. 

Koodo doesnt have a promo program for free coffee and burgers.  it’s kind of tough to extend this to loyal customers if it doesnt exist

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Jordan L I hear you... But Koodo is just a company out for profit, and they changed a lot over the years. They used to allow all customers to upgrade at any time, now it's promos for new activations only. Second, they have moved away from "Fair to all" and now the ones that call in and demand a better plan seem to get it, depending on how loud they shout.

There is a lot of talk about "I'm such a loyal customer, I was with Koodo for a whole month/five years/all my life and I referred 3 people/all my friends/half my province" But the better question is how loyal do you need to be to a company? What loyalty has been shown to you?

Koodo doesnt have a promo program for free coffee and burgers.  it’s kind of tough to extend this to loyal customers if it doesnt exist

Lol you guys are really stuck on this free burger thing. If you can’t understand the conversation, once again, why are you posting useless comments? We’re talking about the additional 5gb promotion that all flanker brands are offering at the present moment in time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The OP was the one who posted about the perk of burger. I thought it was a great idea. Are you actually the OP? So now you are saying it isn’t important and we should focus on 5GB/10GB bonus?

Where did you see the promotion actually? I would want to see if that was for everyone so people can call Koodo and ask them to match.

I saw one thread on redflagdeals https://forums.redflagdeals.com/free-10gb-bonus-data-ymmv-2398507/ People said it was it wasn’t for all FIDO customer. One mentioned it was a “winback” plan in that post. One said he/she received as a text offer. Look like it was a targeted offer. Is that the promotion that you mentioned above?

Userlevel 5

I just want share my view about other provider giving 5gb to  10gb without any charge to existing customers with existing plans without even customers’ requests (apply to all ) . But Koodo in not to try compete with them so the loyal koodo customers like me feel we are not getting current market plans as the other provider giving much more data than we are getting from Koodo current time with same plan cost. I just want to request koodo management to level up there plans to other providers plan else many customers going to switch boats.

Other provider gives many perks like,

• 5 hr continuous data per month
  • Additional 5 to 10 gb data on existing plan (people of $30 plan got 12gb data per month) from national provider
  • Perks like each week free stuff( coffee, burger etc.)

So these are the small things but promote me to take connection from them rather then koodo

While I agree that Koodo is not as competitive as other carriers, there is nothing stopping you from switching to Fido, which offers all of the things you’ve mentioned. Fido has a bigger customer base than Koodo, generating more revenue. With that, they can allocate a higher budget to provide these offers and freebies through partnerships with their sponsors. 

Based on your post, you haven’t weighed the pros and cons of each carrier and considered the benefits that Koodo offers. Depending on your location, the trade-off is that you get a poorer signal and potentially unexpected price hikes with Fido. Koodo’s coverage is better, voicemail has more space available, and it offers a decent refer-a-friend service which gives some discounts.

You can say the same thing about Virgin Mobile, providing similar benefits to their members. The trade-off is that you end off with a worse voicemail package, as well as unexpected price hikes. Picture messaging on Virgin is only restricted to Canada and the U.S., while Koodo offers international picture messaging.

At the end of the day, it depends on what you value more for your own needs. Each carrier has their good and bad points. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Lol you guys are really stuck on this free burger thing. If you can’t understand the conversation, once again, why are you posting useless comments? We’re talking about the additional 5gb promotion that all flanker brands are offering at the present moment in time. 

There is nothing stopping existing customers from getting the plan.  It is not just for new customers.

Koodo isn't even competing with itself. Why a 1gb unlimited talk and text available on prepaid but not postpaid ? I like to come back and look every once in a while. I switched from koodo to public after my data add-on dropped and they refused to reinstate it. Given the right plan at the right affordable price for a light data user (currently getting 2gb for $30 with public) I'd come back to post paid. I love the idea of easy roam in a world where travel is safe, in case of emergency you don't have to worry about shopping for a local Sim abroad or making sure to be within WiFi reception should something arise at home

But lately all deals at all post paid carriers are for those seeking large amounts of data. The smaller plans even add extra data as promotion, instead of decreasing price for the same data. 

I was never even offered any sort of win back, after 8 years

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo isn't even competing with itself. Why a 1gb unlimited talk and text available on prepaid but not postpaid ? I like to come back and look every once in a while. I switched from koodo to public after my data add-on dropped and they refused to reinstate it. Given the right plan at the right affordable price for a light data user (currently getting 2gb for $30 with public) I'd come back to post paid. I love the idea of easy roam in a world where travel is safe, in case of emergency you don't have to worry about shopping for a local Sim abroad or making sure to be within WiFi reception should something arise at home

But lately all deals at all post paid carriers are for those seeking large amounts of data. The smaller plans even add extra data as promotion, instead of decreasing price for the same data. 

What you mentioned is exactly why they do what they do. You love the idea of easy roam, postpaid has better customer service than public, you get LTE with koodo vs throttled down speeds with public, you get things like wifi calling, the ability to finance a phone, easy roam, etc.

Prepaid doesn't offer as many services and thats why they give it to you for a cheaper price.

Userlevel 2

I'm in the process of switching over from Public Mobile to Koodo. I have a great 4g/lte plan with Pm, but it just hasn't been enough data for my needs lately… I had held out for a few years, because my plan was a great deal, 4gb for $40

Truth is, all the providers cater to new customer turnover. That's the way the business works works here unfortunately. The loyalty doesn't matter when you have one of the cheapest plans. I used to give Telus $90/month for 1gb...when I left, I talked to an actual person csr and they said "we're sad to see you go after 9 years, but understand" as I explained I was going to be getting the same service (telus/bell towers, just lacking some customer service and new phone- tab offerings), but more of it - data - all for under half the price…

Read the fine print is my recommendation... You have to fight with every company you want to stay with these days to get a deal over what you have. 

What you mentioned is exactly why they do what they do. You love the idea of easy roam, postpaid has better customer service than public, you get LTE with koodo vs throttled down speeds with public, you get things like wifi calling, the ability to finance a phone, easy roam, etc.

Prepaid doesn't offer as many services and thats why they give it to you for a cheaper price.

Here's the thing though, I don't mind the throttle. I'm not watching movies on data, I'm checking social media or email. WiFi calling can be done for free via many apps but namely Facebook messenger or TextNow. Data, talk, and text costs pennies to actually provide. Prepaid and post paid are just different types of billing and there's no way it costs 15 bucks per costumer for a computer to do a calculation and determine you went over your monthly data by X amount this month or whatever the case may be. The easy roam while possible you do pay extra on the spot so there's no reason for the monthly plan to be higher for that reason. On that note long distance charges you more too so the ability for worldwide calling you pay for on the spot even if you're in Canada at the time. The only thing that does actually cost more to provide is human customer service. But then you could also argue that lucky and chatr have human customer service with plans at the same low prepaid rates as public

Given all of that, besides pure profit, why so much extra cost between prepaid and post paid? Why so much extra between 3rd tier and second ? And like the last person said why does loyalty not matter for anything anymore? It used to... Not just with cellular but any business, they used to want to keep current customers happy. Now it's all about new customer perks leaving people jumping ship left and right

Userlevel 2

Loyalty doesn't matter when you're on the cheap deal plans... Unless they notice you're over on data, or spending elsewhere, adding to your monthly bill, then the company is making a bit more $ from you.

Public mobile is perfect if you don't mind the 3g speed service. You're still on the strongest network with the best coverage areas. When you go with chattr, Shaw or freedom, and you leave the major city centers, you are considered roaming, and also may be missing that strong signal strength. My gal is with freedom, and she is very happy with their service... In town. When we're at the cottage though, pages barely load... So her Instagram addiction gets the best of her, while my service (still currently) with Public Mobile has decent service signal, I can watch videos, browse all I want. She's making the switch maybe around Christmas time, depending what plan deals are offered.

Each of the service providers have vast differences in their monthly and prepaid offerings and prices to reflect. Koodo isn't any different than virgin or any other in that department. It's a business, they are there to make money while aiming not to anger the customer to the point of leaving, but the potential is always there with the incentive offerings from competitors. 

Userlevel 5

Here's the thing though, I don't mind the throttle. I'm not watching movies on data, I'm checking social media or email. WiFi calling can be done for free via many apps but namely Facebook messenger or TextNow. Data, talk, and text costs pennies to actually provide. Prepaid and post paid are just different types of billing and there's no way it costs 15 bucks per costumer for a computer to do a calculation and determine you went over your monthly data by X amount this month or whatever the case may be. The easy roam while possible you do pay extra on the spot so there's no reason for the monthly plan to be higher for that reason. On that note long distance charges you more too so the ability for worldwide calling you pay for on the spot even if you're in Canada at the time. The only thing that does actually cost more to provide is human customer service. But then you could also argue that lucky and chatr have human customer service with plans at the same low prepaid rates as public

Given all of that, besides pure profit, why so much extra cost between prepaid and post paid? Why so much extra between 3rd tier and second ? And like the last person said why does loyalty not matter for anything anymore? It used to... Not just with cellular but any business, they used to want to keep current customers happy. Now it's all about new customer perks leaving people jumping ship left and right

Allan M already answered your first question. Postpaid plans offer more features and flexibility, whereas prepaid plans restrict you to what you have. Once you use up your limit, that’s it. Simple as that.

As for your second question, it’s obvious. You get what you pay for. If you are on a no-frills budget and you don’t mind using data at throttled speeds with minimal customer service, going with a 3rd tier carrier wouldn’t hurt. For casual customers that want something better, they prefer the 2nd tier. Business customers that need the flexibility and a quick dial to customer service to solve their problems would go for the top tier. Simple as that. 

The landscape of the mobile industry has built up the system we see today. Rogers acquired Fido, Bell acquired Virgin Mobile, and Telus created Koodo to counter the brands we see today. Mobilicity, Public Mobile, and Wind Mobile showed up, so Rogers created chatr and acquired Mobilicity, Bell created Lucky Mobile, Telus acquired Public Mobile, and Shaw acquired Wind Mobile. Competition between these businesses created brands which fit every different consumer at different price points.