Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is Koodo not set up for recurring charges off our Visa Card

I have my Koodo account paid off every month via My Scotia Bank Visa card.
Scotia bank says that Koodo is not set up with this program so I do not get 2% cash back.
I swithched from Telus to Koodo recently and Telus bills I was getting cash back but not with Koodo. Can it be set up?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hmmmm......Scotia themselves doesn't specify at the merchant level who is in or who is out. This is what I see on their site:

"You will earn 2% Cash Back on the first $25,000 in purchases that are charged annually on your Scotiabank Momentum Visa Card Account (the “Account”) on gas station, grocery store and drug store purchases and on recurring payments. 2% Cash Back applies at merchants which are classified in the Visa Inc. (Visa) network as Grocery Stores & Supermarkets, Drug Stores & Pharmacies, Service Stations (with or without ancillary services), Automated Fuel Dispensers and Recurring Payments (Merchant Codes: 5411, 5541, 5542 & 5912). Some merchants may sell these products/services or are separate merchants who are located on the premises of these merchants, but are classified by Visa in another manner, in which case this added benefit would not apply. Recurring payments are payments made on a monthly or regular basis automatically billed by the merchant to your Account. Recurring payments are typically for purchases of subscriptions, telecommunication, insurance, gym memberships, etc. Not all merchants offer recurring payments. (Please check with the merchant to see if they offer recurring payments on Visa Accounts) You will earn 1% Cash Back on purchases made on the Account after the 2% $25,000 annual spend max has been reached. Cash Advances, balance transfers, Scotia Credit Card Cheques, returns, refunds or other similar credits, payments, fees, interest or service/transaction charges do not qualify for Scotia Momentum Cash Back."

Have they provided you with a link of all participating merchants? 
No
It just seems strange that I gave Koodo the okay to charge to my Visa card every month.
If this isn't a recurring charge I don't know what is?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
mark rawkins wrote:

No
It just seems strange that I gave Koodo the okay to charge to my Visa card every month.
If thi...

I'd be surprised to hear we are the ones actively saying no to this given that the above description from Scotia virtually included all telecommunication companies in Canada. 
mark rawkins wrote:

No
If thi...

Yeah same here, I have a tangerine  MasterCard that gives me 2% money-back on recurring bills and unfortunately Koodo doesn't appear to be considered recurring despite me pre-authorizing payments through it. Tangerine is also part of the Scotia Network.

I was really hoping for it to count as recurring!
Userlevel 6
mark rawkins wrote:

No
If thi...

If you're OK with a credit card with an annual fee, the MBNA World Elite card offers 2% cashback on every purchase (regardless of transaction type or merchant code). Interest rates are the standard high rates but if you don't carry a balance, might be able to negotiate having the annual fee waived each year. I don't have this card myself, but if I were in the market for a cashback credit card, I'd give it high consideration.@OP: as long as you're paying at least 1% less per month with Koodo than you were with Telus, you're coming out ahead! Congrats on coming over to Koodo.@Bernard: thank you for the detailed information!
Userlevel 2
mark rawkins wrote:

No
If thi...

Do you know if this is still the same?
The way I understand it is the merchant has to set a "recurring flag" and the Koodo billing software does not/didn't do this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
mark rawkins wrote:

No
If thi...

Are you asking about the 2% cashback rewards program via Scotia? 
Userlevel 2
mark rawkins wrote:

No
If thi...

I'm asking if Koodo works with any cash back rewards program for "recurring payments".
Userlevel 6
mark rawkins wrote:

No
If thi...

Works fine on my Tangerine MasterCard. My Koodo bills show up as reoccurring, and I get cash back accordingly.
Userlevel 6
mark rawkins wrote:

No
If thi...

Works fine on my Tangerine MasterCard. My Koodo bills show up as reoccurring, and I get cash back accordingly.