Koodo Community
Solved

Is it possible to disable apps from charging to my phone bill directly?

Apps like Rdio, Google Music, etc have an option called "Mobile Payment" which instead of charging your credit card through the Google Play Store or through the app, will actually add a pre-authorized charge to your phone bill. I want to COMPLETELY disable the ability to do this. Can Koodo put a flag on my account to stop the authorization from happening? I've been caught once with Rdio and now with Google Music just saw that there is a mobile billing option when you activate your account with them. I just want this to be declined by Koodo whenever an app requests billing authorization.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
hmm, At this time I don't think Koodo supports this feature anyway. You can't tack on app purchases to your phone bill. as far as I'm aware, Unless something has changed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jason Glushyk wrote:

Sorry, I meant the monthly recurring subscription charges, not the app purchase itself.

How did it work with the other two? Did they send you a Premium Text to pay for the service?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jason Glushyk wrote:

Sorry, I meant the monthly recurring subscription charges, not the app purchase itself.

Wow, I wasn't aware that Koodo even participated in that type of billing. Okay good to know. I don't think it's possible to block it. You may want to call into Koodo (*611) and ask if it is. I know they can't block premium messages so this might be the same situation.
Userlevel 6
I don't think they can flag your account for this. That said you wanted these apps so does it make a difference where it gets charged to?
I suppose not, but my phone bill is my phone bill and I'm not a fan of piling other charges onto it not related to Koodo. I prefer to keep things seperate on my credit card if there's ever a discrepancy I need to chargeback with them. Thanks for the help.
Jason Glushyk wrote:

Nope with Rdio you just chose to start your free 30 day trial, and since you were doing it from a mobile device it signed you up for the premium service with mobile billing automatically. No text even to say I was signed up. Granted, I should've went to Rdio's site within 30 days to see my account status, but even in the app in never distinctly said you were now subscribed to a service. It just said your trial is now active. So the next month I had a $10 charge out of nowhere. No biggie, it was just too effortless for my liking, that could get dangerous. With Google Music now, at least it gives you the option for Mobile Payment instead of your credit card on file. I clicked on it and it started to authorize to Koodo, so I backed out and chose my credit card instead. I'm just hoping that charge doesn't show up on my bill now too.
Jason Glushyk wrote:

I'm not sure they're aware of how to block such a thing, as I just called and they told me to delete the app from my phone. 🙂 Thanks for the help Chad, much appreciated. Just a tip for everyone to be real careful when signing up for trial subscriptions within apps, if it ever mentions Mobile Payment or anything like that you know where the charge will show up.
Userlevel 2
I have a feeling the 10$ charge was for over usage on ur data, since streaming mucis uses a lot of Internet it wouldn't be surprising