Koodo Community

Community

Solved

international calling

Userlevel 1
Hi ,
I have unlimited Canada wide calling and text and my bill was was fixed 56-57 CAD including taxes in NS  .I never opted for international dialing ,today I received one month invoice of 556 CAD including taxes .I called customer care they say I used airtime to call to India .Initially I was using global calling app which I was using through Koodo in that local charges were unlimited so there was no extra charge .During last 30 days there was some problem in my app for global calling and I was under impression that I am calling from Reliance Global app but in actual it was dialing through KOODO .but two month back if app was not working there was announcement through KOODO call cannot be connected as I was not allowed for international dialing . Today when I called call centre they say I signed an agreement for international dialing but in actual I never requested or signed any agreement for international dialing.What should I do now.

26 replies

Userlevel 4
Really sucks to be in your position.  I wouldn't want a surprise bill like that.

That said, if your app wasn't functioning the way you expected and was calling on on your phone network instead of through a calling card, Koodo's just going to say that it's nothing to do with them.  that you used the service and if your app was malfunctioning or misconfigured, it's not really their fault.  All you can do is put an international call block and maybe consider the $20 monthly add-on which gives you 1000 mins to India included.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for your reply I understand due to fault in my app was getting connected through Koodo .But Koodo is saying I opted for international calling and signed for that how I should clarify this issue .I understand they have a scheme for 20 CAD for 1000 min but is there any way out for these charges of more than 500 Cad  ?
Userlevel 4
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

Thanks for your reply I understand due to fault in my app was getting connected through Koodo .Bu...

They probably mean "you didn't disallow international calling on your self serve"
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

Thanks for your reply I understand due to fault in my app was getting connected through Koodo .Bu...

yes 
Userlevel 4
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

If I were you, I'd call in and ask to speak with a supervisor.  I would explain the situation, stressing that you understand that it's not exactly Koodo's fault, but maybe say also that you were confused and didn't know that international dialling was open by default.  Then, ask if there's anything they can do for you to reduce that charge.  Doesn't hurt to try.  
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

Best part is my balance in app is same and in Koodo it crossed 500 cad and  in app I was paying 15-16 cad per month using approx 1200-1400 min this month If I calculate I will pay for 20-24 months  
As per your suggestions I will speak to supervisor, to reach the supervisor is there any other no. or I call call centre and they will forward my call ?
Userlevel 4
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

Just call in normally and politely ask if you can speak to a supervisor about your overages this month.

For long-distance, you might want to consider a solution I sometimes use.  I have a kind of do-it-yourself calling card with voip.ms  (sorry to be such a booster for them.  I do like them).  You can get an access number that you configure to work like a calling card, where you type your password, then your number.  If there are numbers you call frequently, you can set up some kind of menu system where you press 1,2,3,4,whatever, to call the numbers you normally call.  Personally, I wouldn't trust an app that's supposed to use data but might call with my phone.
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

OK  Thanks, so far I called them twice and taking the matter politely .Tomorrow i will try to speak to supervisor as suggested.If nothing happens should I ask them when did I signed the document or requested for international dialing . I never requested for this service should I make a stand on this issue?
Userlevel 4
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

you didn't block international calls either
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

it means if i don't block this point is not valid ?
Userlevel 4
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

well....  you made the calls, right?  If you wanted an international calling block on your phone, you should have asked for it.
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

i am not denying that I made calls ,anyways thanks for your suggestions I will pursue with supervisor tomorrow and will update you if you wish, thanks for your time  
Userlevel 4
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

I hope you get a few hundred bucks at least knocked off your bill.  Realistically, those calls probably cost Koodo just a few dollars at most.
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

I wish your good wishes will work 
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

Download "VIPER " long distance calls, texting, and video chats! Not one extra charge. Using it for a year. Not perfect but it works great
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

I believe W.E. De Bono got caught in an Auto-correct Trap, and means the application 'VIBER'.
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

Thanks for suggestions for using different calling options  and  I am aware of Viber but through Viber I cannot call [b]landlines and at whatsapp call gets disconnected if either side gets regular call .

Secondly I need suggestions how to get bill reduced from KOODO  as Danny suggested me in earlier posts  ,if you have suggestions other than that please suggest
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

Hi Danny Koodo waived off all extra charges for airtime I used last month ,only put condition to opt for 20 CAD per month for India calling for future I accepted that so tension came and gone with your suggestions and Koodo  .Thanks for your suggestions it worked same way .
Userlevel 4
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

That's fantastic!  So they waived your charges in exchange for you adding the add-on?  or they didn't make you add the add-on, but kind of gave you a "you've been told" warning?
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

i have to go for add on from today onwards this was deal But big relief 
Userlevel 4
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

That great  :)

Well, you can try the add-on for a month or two to see how it works out for you.  Seems like quite a convenient option.  If you prefer a slightly more economical option in a month or two, you can try it out.
Userlevel 4
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

Score 1 for the "be polite and ask nicely" strategy vs. "be angry and threaten to quit"

🙂
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

I will stick to this I tried so many I will use this when without wifi and with wifi I can use Whatsapp or VIBER,but in case want to call landline as VIBER OR WHATSAPP does not allow I will use Koodo
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

a smile ,soft speak and polite nature can win 
Userlevel 1
Rajneesh Grover wrote:

Can you clarify what is the benefit of collecting KOODO community points ?