Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Int'l roaming - are unanswered incoming calls charged?

Hi, I'm going to be roaming internationally (outside U.S). I understand that incoming texts are free, so I was planning to leave my phone on without data so that I'd be able to recieve any incoming texts.

However I don't want to pay the voice rate at all,so if I didn't answer any incoming calls would I still be charged? I know that some companies charge 1 voice minute if a call is forwarded to voicemail while roaming.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Bryce. 

If you don't answer your phone, no minute will be charged!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Bryce. 

Suggestion: temporarily change your ring tone to silent for voice calls and you will avoid the temptation to reflexively pick up.
Robert wrote:

Hello Bryce. 

I was just advised by Koodo customer service that you DO get charged 1 minute for an incoming phone call in the US, even if you don't answer. That doesn't seem right to me! I was charged for a call that I did not answer, and that is the response I received when I inquired about it. The CSR was good enough to remove the charge, but that seems draconian to me.
Userlevel 5
Robert wrote:

Hello Bryce. 

I usually put my phone on airplane mode whenever I am out of the country, in order to avoid accidental calls, texts, etc. When on airplane mode, you can still turn on your Wifi, so you can access the internet when available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Bryce. 

@Kevin
You shouldn't get charged if you didn't answer your phone.
I think the rep gave you a misinformation.
Robert wrote:

Hello Bryce. 

Thanks John for your suggestion...will keep it in mind for future travel to the US, but this was not an accidental pick up. Mayumi...I asked the rep several different ways in an attempt to clarify this, and each time he indicated that calls would be charged even if I didn't answer. I even used an example of a telemarketer calling and me refusing to answer the call...the answer was still that I would be charged. If true, that is truly disturbing. I sincerely hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I am at a loss on how to confirm this...perhaps you would know? Thanks, Kevin.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Bryce. 

Hi Kevin.

I can confirme to you that id you decline calls, you won't be charged. I went myself and tried!
Robert wrote:

Hello Bryce. 

Whoa...... I was charged for unanswered robot calls!   $7/minute for a total of $77 over a 14 day period!   Why was this done?  Plus.... I couldn't get through to Koodo by phone to discuss the bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Bryce. 

Have you downloaded your pdf ebill from self serve to see what the charges were for?
Userlevel 4
Robert wrote:

Hello Bryce. 

Hey to All,

I have almost wished  "a good trip" to someone who posted on this forum 2 years ago. Lol

@Allan please let us know after looking at your e-bill if indeed you were charged for any unanswered calls including robot calls during your trip abroad.
Robert wrote:

Hello Bryce. 

Thanks, Jan.   Just for your info, I have you, Allan and Dennis as current correspondents on this.   I'm new at this forum so I don't know how to manage all the messages.   May I leave it to you folks to sort out the assistance?   I do appreciate everyone's interest.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Bryce. 

Hi Allan,

Lets keep your question to your posted question here: =19145633#reply_19145633]https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/robot-calls-on-roaming?utm_source=notification&ut...
Userlevel 4
Hi Kevin!

I can confirm, as Mayumi and Robert said, that you will not be charged if you do not take the call. You are only charged if you answer the call.

Thanks and have a great day 🙂
Thanks all...appreciate your comments. Perhaps I can suggest that this should be shared with your call centre staff again, as I apparently found someone that does not believe this to be the case. Thanks again...cheers, Kevin.