Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Info about unlocked phones

I am already a Koodo customer.  I own a LG-A341 phone.  If I buy an unlocked Moto G (1st gen, XT1032), will my present simcard will do in the Moto G?  If not, how can I buy one?  How much will it cost?  Is there any other cost for bringing an unlocked phone I buy elsewhere?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I can't find what size SIM Card you have in your present phone but the Moto X 1st Gen takes a Micro SIM so if your present phone doesn't take a Micro SIM then you will need to buy a new one which is $5 if your on postpaid or $20 if your on prepaid.
If you have a Micro SIM in your present phone then take it out and pop it into the new ok hone and away you go, no extra costs.
My old phone has a standard sim, not a micro.  Can I buy a sim card online, I can't find it

Userlevel 5
Jérôme Leclerc wrote:

My old phone has a standard sim, not a micro.  Can I buy a sim card online, I can't find it

Hey Jérôme! SIM cards are not available for purchase on our website. You can find them at any of the Koodo locations and most retailers http://koo.do/1YM8LhV :)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can also cut the sim down yourself .If your somewhat handy with a exact-o blade, you will be fine. If your not comfortable you could get a micro sim.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

You can also cut the sim down yourself .If your somewhat handy with a exact-o blade, you will be ...

With an exacto yikes I wouldn't be using one of those to cut them, use a sharp pair of scissors if your going to do it, one slip with a blade and you could damage the contents of the card or worse cut your hand quite easily. You can find the pattern online to cut it if you choose to but I strongly recommend against cutting Sims because any sharp Edge can get caught in the SIM tray and break the pin connectors damaging the phone. I've seen it first hand more than once of this happening to ppl so it's definitely worth the couple bucks for a new one. Also the new ones are NFC enabled so if one of your phones in the future has the ability to make mobile payments your set.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

You can also cut the sim down yourself .If your somewhat handy with a exact-o blade, you will be ...

Like I said. If your handy or comfortable with a knife you will be fine. Lol I've done more than 50 with a blade when I worked for one of the big 3. I found the scissors to cause bending and cracking where u don't want it. But if your using good scissors u should be fine. Most kiosks will have a SIM cutting tool so if your at a mall u could always ask
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

I can second the sharp edges ruining phones internals if u have jagged points. Seen it happen to a few people who use dull scissors.
Chadwick wrote:

I had no problems cutting the sim card.  I searched on google for a good template (search: mini sim to micro sim template pdf), printed it at 100% for accurate measurements, then cut it with a x-acto(new blade).  You have to work carefully, but it can be done!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Awesome! glad you got it done and still have your fingers and a working SIM lol
Thank you for the good answers!