Koodo Community
Solved

Incorrect roaming charges

• 2 February 2021
  • 6 replies

It’s very simple. I live in Mexico, but I’d like to keep my line active. However, I’m about to cancel Koodo because there’s just no way of getting help without paying the $12 Easy Roam fee. 

What do I want help with? Well I’m being charged $12 even though I’ve never used my phone. Roaming is off and I haven’t texted or called. Will I get charged this fee every month? Can I at least talk to someone about it? Short answer is no, unless you want to pay more fees.

The chat bot can be very useful, but it’s infuriating that there are no other alternatives. Give me me a phone number to call, I don’t want to receive one. OK, no number to call, then give me an email address, at the very least. It’s either chat bot or scheduled call. Well when you live abroad, incoming calls are expensive, so give me more options, chat bot!

icon

Best answer by MilkyWay 2 February 2021, 22:46

It’s very simple. I live in Mexico, but I’d like to keep my line active. However, I’m about to cancel Koodo because there’s just no way of getting help without paying the $12 Easy Roam fee. 

What do I want help with? Well I’m being charged $12 even though I’ve never used my phone. Roaming is off and I haven’t texted or called. Will I get charged this fee every month? Can I at least talk to someone about it? Short answer is no, unless you want to pay more fees.

The chat bot can be very useful, but it’s infuriating that there are no other alternatives. Give me me a phone number to call, I don’t want to receive one. OK, no number to call, then give me an email address, at the very least. It’s either chat bot or scheduled call. Well when you live abroad, incoming calls are expensive, so give me more options, chat bot!

Yes, you will be charged every time you make or receive calls, send texts, or use your data while abroad. This fee is capped at $150 per billing cycle. 

Note that charges for Easy Roam are based on the number of days you use your monthly plan’s minutes, data, or text messages. 

It’s possible there may be data leakage from your phone, which may trigger the Easy Roam feature. You will see those charges on your bill. 

In order to avoid this from happening again, I would highly suggest you to remove your SIM card from your phone. When you need to use it, you may insert the SIM card back. 

If you need to speak with a Koodo rep, you can download an app that can make or receive calls with a Canadian number, such as Fongo, and schedule a callback on Koodo Assist to that number. You can also send a message on Facebook Messenger or Twitter. 

For more information, you can visit this link here. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/easy-roam

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, you will be charged every time you make or receive calls, send texts, or use your data while abroad. This fee is capped at $150 per billing cycle. 

Note that charges for Easy Roam are based on the number of days you use your monthly plan’s minutes, data, or text messages. 

It’s possible there may be data leakage from your phone, which may trigger the Easy Roam feature. You will see those charges on your bill. 

In order to avoid this from happening again, I would highly suggest you to remove your SIM card from your phone. When you need to use it, you may insert the SIM card back. 

If you need to speak with a Koodo rep, you can download an app that can make or receive calls with a Canadian number, such as Fongo, and schedule a callback on Koodo Assist to that number. You can also send a message on Facebook Messenger or Twitter. 

For more information, you can visit this link here. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/easy-roam

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you are overseas, you could contact a rep via Facebook/Twitter messaging (Links at the bottom of this forum page)

When you mentioned you disabled roaming and “never used the phone”, did you remove the roaming add-on and the phone was off all the time? What was the event that triggered $12/day? 

Thank you Milky way and Dinh, I’ll look into removing my SIM card and only inserting it to use it.  “Data leakage”? Even when roaming is turned off on iPhone?

Actually, my Koodo bill says I got charged $12 for text messaging, not roaming. I’d be very aware if I had texted international, which I haven’t! My detailed bill only shows incoming text as a matter of fact.

What was the event that triggered the fee? Great question. It’s all I want to know.

But as you can tell, the frustration mostly comes from poor customer service. Thanks again, I’ll use Fongo as a last resort to try to clear up this bill because it’s Koodo’s responsibility after all, not other users like yourselves...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you Milky way and Dinh, I’ll look into removing my SIM card and only inserting it to use it.  “Data leakage”? Even when roaming is turned off on iPhone?

Actually, my Koodo bill says I got charged $12 for text messaging, not roaming. I’d be very aware if I had texted international, which I haven’t! My detailed bill only shows incoming text as a matter of fact.

What was the event that triggered the fee? Great question. It’s all I want to know.

But as you can tell, the frustration mostly comes from poor customer service. Thanks again, I’ll use Fongo as a last resort to try to clear up this bill because it’s Koodo’s responsibility after all, not other users like yourselves...

If your bill shows that you only received an incoming text, the Easy Roam feature should not have been triggered. From what I know, all incoming texts should be free while roaming. I would suggest you to speak to a Koodo rep about it. 

There is a multiple interesting points and I cannot figure out how it happened. Do you know how I can reverse this extra charges?

1. I haven’t been to US
  2. I live 2 kilometres to US border
  3. My android is restricted to use roaming data
  4. My network is chosen as Koodo (however it says in brackets that preferred)

but I was still charged $10 for using 0.0029 MB data usage after midnight. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There is a multiple interesting points and I cannot figure out how it happened. Do you know how I can reverse this extra charges?

1. I haven’t been to US
  2. I live 2 kilometres to US border
  3. My android is restricted to use roaming data
  4. My network is chosen as Koodo (however it says in brackets that preferred)

but I was still charged $10 for using 0.0029 MB data usage after midnight. 

You need to manually change from automatic to Koodo..  Since it says preferred, it is still on automatic.