Koodo Community

Community

Solved

If I have unlimited text messaging and picture messaging, why am I getting a data charge if my 4g is only on to receive pictures ?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You use data when recieving picture messages on some phones so this is probably the case for you. You can view a full data usage report on Self Serve, (click view usage on the data section), to see what exactly the data charges were for. Although it is true you have unlimited picture messages, you will still get charged for the data used, just not for the text itself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hmm, not so sure about the Allan. Someone without data could theoretically send MMS without being charged if they set up the APN correctly. So I wouldn't say that MMS counts towards data.

THIS is true unless it's an iPhone and the texts are sent via iMessage. Then that would use data since it goes though a different server/port/something.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hmm, not so sure about the Allan. Someone without data could theoretically send MMS without being...

Fair enough, i just read actually that Koodo doesnt charge for data used on mms at all unlike some other carriers. The data charge can still be viewed by checking your usage via self serve though. Let us know what the charge is labeled for and we can provide some clarity!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It is most likely leakage by other apps while the data window is open the send or receive picture messages. You can apply a data block which allows only picture message data through, and blocks all other data. If I recall, the fee is $2/ month for that block. You could also buy a small data package, and use some data in addition to the picture messages.
Thank you David, or if you've got a Phone recent enough with the latest Android 7.0 update you can restrict internet access to other apps. Like David said, the most common thing that happens is, you don't use Data for MMS, but do use data if let's say Facebook updates or whatever app access the internet without you knowing of course. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Admir Karalic wrote:

Thank you David, or if you've got a Phone recent enough with the latest Android 7.0 update you ca...

You don't need Nougat to restrict background usage on apps. This also only restricts it, it doesn't completely eliminate all app usage so this is a dangerous way to go if you're looking to stop data completely.
Admir Karalic wrote:

Thank you David, or if you've got a Phone recent enough with the latest Android 7.0 update you ca...

I don't agree, you may limit internet flow on certain apps and not restrict the app itself.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Admir Karalic wrote:

We are saying the same thing. All i was saying is that you don't need Nougat to do such a thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Megan,

How do you know your data is only on to receive pictures?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Megan,

How do you know your data is only on to receive pictures?

Can you view the app usage on your phone? If so it should tell you what was used for pictures and what (if any) was used on something else. 
Simply set the APN type on your phone to MMS only then you will not be charged for data.