Feedback
I got roaming charges even though I have "easyroam" | Koodo Community
Koodo Community
Question

I got roaming charges even though I have "easyroam"

• 14 September 2021
  • 12 replies

I landed to Turkey a week ago and got an automatic text saying I have “easyroam” included in my package and if I use it I’ll be charged $13/day. Today I turned on my roaming for a few hours and got charged $65! How is this possible?

I scheduled a callback for tomorrow but now I’m also worried that I’ll be charged if I answer the call as well.

I downloaded the pdf bill and it shows that I used roaming for 5 days even though I used it only for one.

Any suggestions or ideas? 

Thanks,

12 replies

Userlevel 3

I’m not sure about the roaming charges, but if you have Wi-Fi access where you are at currently, you can potentially use Koodo wi-fi calling to receive the call. Otherwise, you can guarantee you don’t get charged for an incoming call by using a free Canadian Wi-Fi calling app like Fongo Mobile, or TextNow. Each of you will give you a separate Canadian number that Koodo, and others can call locally from Canada.

I only have a Canadian number, scheduled the callback for that number, will I be charged if I answer?

Userlevel 3

I only have a Canadian number, scheduled the callback for that number, will I be charged if I answer?

Disregard my previous suggestions about Koodo Wi-Fi calling... according to this article it only works in Canada:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling#:~:text=In%20order%20to%20enable%20and%20use%20Wi-Fi%20calling%2C,connection%20that%20allows%20Voice%20over%20IP%20calling%20%28VoIP%29.

In that light, YES, you will most likely be charged roaming if you answer a call, even from Koodo, to your Canadian Koodo number while in Turkey.

If you use the free Fongo mobile or TextNow apps, you'll get a new second Canadian number that Koodo can call you at while you're on Wi-Fi outside of Canada, with zero risk of extra charges. You will unfortunately need to either update which number they call you at, or book a new callback.

You might be able to try call forwarding your mobile number to that Fongo mobile or textnow number, but I suspect changing the forwarding only works while you're in Canada...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How did you turn on roaming for a few hours? What does turn on roaming mean? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I landed to Turkey a week ago and got an automatic text saying I have “easyroam” included in my package and if I use it I’ll be charged $13/day. Today I turned on my roaming for a few hours and got charged $65! How is this possible?

I scheduled a callback for tomorrow but now I’m also worried that I’ll be charged if I answer the call as well.

I downloaded the pdf bill and it shows that I used roaming for 5 days even though I used it only for one.

Any suggestions or ideas? 

Thanks,

It is indeed strange that you are being charged 5 days for using a few hours of service. Since you are abroad, you can contact a Koodo rep by sending a message on Facebook Messenger or Twitter and wait for a response. https://m.me/Koodo 

Given the circumstances of your request, I have also flagged a rep to assist you. In the interests of time, you can also provide a screenshot of your charges here. Make sure to remove any personal details, as this is a public forum. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@iremh I think you are referring to his last invoice which indeed has $65 worth of roaming charges. On 5 separate days you used easy roam which at $13 a day adds up to $65. I hope this helps.  

@Bernard Koodo  Who’s last invoice are you referring to by saying “his last invoice”?

I got a text message on September 13th from Koodo telling me that my bill is ready to view and it is $118.65, I downloaded my invoice and saw that I got charged for 5 separate days.

I did NOT use easy roam on 5 separate days. I only turned on roaming on September 13th and got charged for 5 days even though I did NOT use it.  This is a scam and you have to fix your mistake.

Your reply doesn’t help unfortunately. I hope you can rectify this if not I will definitely be changing service providers.

How did you turn on roaming for a few hours? What does turn on roaming mean? 

I went to Cellular Data Options on IPhone then turned on Data Roaming.

@Bernard Koodo @MilkyWay Here are the charges from days that I didn’t use any roaming.

I only used it on September 13th and I got an automatic text message about my bill.

It is very strange. It is showing as I have used roaming on Sept 4, 6, 8, 9 and 10. If that was the case how come I haven’t received any automatic text message like the one I received on September 13th?

This makes me feel like probably Koodo will keep charging my on my next billing cycle even if I will not be overseas. 

It is very concerning that something like this can happen. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there @iremh, I will reach out to you over private message to explain your charges and the resolution. :)

Userlevel 3

@Attila Koodo & @iremh - Keep us posted on the results of the findings, so others here can learn from this curiosity as well.

Since text messages are not reported in the usage in the screenshot, I’m suspecting possibly text messages were sent to trigger it. But that still doesn’t explain why there was no text until the 13th regarding easyroam being triggered/engaged...

@Nezgar @Attila Koodo kindly credited me and explained the issue. Somehow the roaming may have been triggered so they suggested that I turn on the Airplane mode and then the wifi on, this way the phone won’t jump on a local network. This is the first time I experienced something like this abroad, it is a curious case.