Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I changed my plan for unlimited text and talk but getting charged for extra talk?

Hi, I changed my plan last week when I noticed that for a couple of months now I've been going over my 100 minutes + free evening and weekend package. So I changed plans for the new 45$ unlimited plan. I thought that if you changed your package within the same billing time you automatically got the extra minutes you used for free since now I'm with the unlimited plan but I just got my next bill and it is not the case. I am %@&$ because now I have a 100$ bill to pay next month. I tried calling but since it is a holiday, they are closed. Should I have waited until the first day of the new monthly billing period to change my plan so that they wouldn't bill me the difference? Please help. I'd appreciate it.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Actually yeah, you should have waited until your new billing cycle started. When you change your plan halfway through the month, all features including minutes are prorated. If you changed your plan half way through your billing cycle, your available minutes for the first 15 days would be 50minutes and if you used more than that, you are charged per minute. This is exactly what happened here. Give Koodo a call and explain you didn't know this would happen and they may be willing to change things back or credit you some of the amount
Userlevel 6
You got it Bri! Changing plans in the middle of your billing period will cause proration. The plan you changed from had a certain minutes for a month. If you changed in the middle of it you would only get half the minutes and the rest would be considered going over and you'll pay extra. Always change plans close to your billing date. It does say it on the website where you change plans.
Thanks for the quick reply. That is really too bad....but I will certainly call them on Tuesday and explain. Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
"I thought that if you changed your package within the same billing time you automatically got the extra minutes you used for free since now I'm with the unlimited plan but I just got my next bill and it is not the case." This is the thing you got wrong. Don't tell them that when you call because you'll most likely not get credited. If you went 100 km/h in a 50 zone but then the same route (50km/h limit) became a highway, this doesn't mean you won't get a ticket for speeding in the 50 zone. So just tell them you didn't know what pro-ration was and be polite and not angry. Most likely, if you're angry they'll tell you that it is entirely your fault if you went over your 100 monthly minutes.