Koodo Community
Question

How long does it take for an outstanding bill to be reported to TransUnion?

Just wondering the time frame of an outstanding bill to hit your credit? I was told 65 days. I guess I had an outstanding $49 bill from March but cancelled my Koodo account in April, didn't get my final bill until May 10 as they were getting the bill ready. So I can't see that being 65 days, yet still I get 25 points off my credit score and an x saying I missed a may payment?

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Don't know those kind of information, but I would say pretty much instantely?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There are a number of levels of reporting, colloquially described as 30/60/90 days. Since your invoice is due and payable the day it is released (the last day of your billing period) the 30 day clock starts ticking. Although there is a grace period of 15 or 21 days, it is the novice date, not the pay by date where the clock starts. Your 30 day late payment will be reported as soon as the 30 days passes, and you are officially in arrears by 90 days, and subject to suspension of account, and non-payment report to the credit reporting agency.
I closed my account on April 13. Called and asked what my bill was and they said nothing is ready until May 10. I said on self serve its saying I owe $100. The lady said don't worry about it we'll have your final bill ready may 10 then pay by June 5.

Then I get an email from credit Karma saying missed payment from Koodo. #277 for Koodo billing department and they say yeah it's outstanding from March. And I should of talk to them not customer service, I called whatever # to talk about my billing. Anyway now I'm the one with the credit hit and Koodo says sorry about that. I could have paid the $100 when I asked about my bill the first time but was told not to worry. Again great service from Koodo. Wish there was something that can be done about this
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Duplicate post
https://community.koodomobile.com/billing-66726/late-payment-from-march-effects-my-credit-but-when-i-called-to-ask-they-say-i-didn-t-owe-anything-7794182#post19834235
Userlevel 5
Just wondering the time frame of an outstanding bill to hit your credit? I was told 65 days. I guess I had an outstanding $49 bill from March but cancelled my Koodo account in April, didn't get my final bill until May 10 as they were getting the bill ready. So I can't see that being 65 days, yet still I get 25 points off my credit score and an x saying I missed a may payment?

Payment history is reported to credit bureaus, regardless if account balance is up to date or past due. Please check this out that gives more info on past due bill and credit score
Its great that you can make smaller payment arrangements, that's what I was doing and always checking the self serve to see what my bill was, it said $100 owing and my account was cancelled because I switched providers. Again some payment from March wasn't paid. Was told it was 65 days past due but I'm self serve it said nothing. Regardless it's not gonna get fixed here. I just want it off my credit history as I could of paid the $49 supposedly 65 days late. Even though self serve says nothing about it. Actual customer service says I don't have anything outstanding, and if the phone calls are recorded, why can't I use that to prove to TransUnion and get my credit score fixed
Userlevel 5
@jayclone The only way to avoid potential impacts to your credit score is to avoid late or partial payments. Please log into Self Serve to view the total amount due June 5/19 for your May bill that's $XXX.45 and includes the $100.08 you're referring to that was carried forward from your April bill because the April bill was not paid in full. You'll also notice that your May bill is higher because of the Tab Debits applied to the account when you cancelled.
I called last night to clarify some things. Initial phone call the girl said don't pay anything until my final bill is available. Then I get the credit hit so I called back. This girl said it was a late payment ($49) from March. I checked my credit Karma and it said $100 missed from April, which is when I cancelled Koodo. So I call and now the girl is saying yes $100 was not payed by April 16, but I cancelled April 13. So which is true? Can you see where I'm confused. That $100 that wasn't paid in April hit my credit and that is the $100 that I initially called about and was told not to pay until my final payout was ready. And that was may 10, so a while month goes by and it automatically was sent to the credit bureau because it was late, again was told from Koodo not to pay it. It has to be recorded, I am calling back today to speak to a manager.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think there is some miscommunication here @jayclone

Any late or missed payments will hit your credit report.

It sounds like the rep you spoke to was referring to your final closing out bill that you will need to pay. Based on when you canceled and when your next expected monthly bill was to be generated, it may have overlapped which caused additional confusion (especially if you canceled at the end of your billing cycle since it takes a few days to generate that bill).

The way the rep should have worded was that you need to pay your regular monthly bills, but there will also be a final bill based on your cancellation date and your remaining tab.

So, to fix everything, you will just need to pay all remaining owning amounts and then there will be an update to your credit report that the amount has been paid in full
Exactly why I called. Before I cancelled, April 12 I got a text saying my bill is due. It was $288, I cancelled the next day as my bill was never as expected, anyway then I check my bill and it says $100 owing, again confused, what happened to the $288. Again that's why I called and wax told there is nothing outstanding, wait for your final bill. Just so confusing, and when I call the 3 times every answer was different. Poor service for sure. Having Koodo for almost 7 months I paid just a little over $2000. $550 was the buy out for each phone but still ridiculous. It was never a $60 a month phone bill. And yes I'll pay my final bill by June 5 band sure the account will be closed but I want my credit history or the red x fixed. This is not my fault that at all. There should be history and there is of phone calls made prior to my bill going to credit bureau. Just so angry that I'm the one paying for it
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Exactly why I called. Before I cancelled, April 12 I got a text saying my bill is due. It was $288, I cancelled the next day as my bill was never as expected, anyway then I check my bill and it says $100 owing, again confused, what happened to the $288. Again that's why I called and wax told there is nothing outstanding, wait for your final bill. Just so confusing, and when I call the 3 times every answer was different. Poor service for sure.

Did the text say it was $288 and then when you logged into self serve the screen says $100?

My guess is that your payment for the month previous to that was late, so when the text was generated, it was $288, but was updated to $100 after the payment was fully processed.
Viewing your detailed pdf ebill would provide some insight on April 12 bill.
This bill would have been a bill while you were still a customer and a part of your regular bill.

Once you canceled there would be a final bill. I believe there is where the miscommunication occurred. These are 2 separate bills and 2 different topics. I think combining the topics led to the confusion.

Having Koodo for almost 7 months I paid just a little over $2000. $550 was the buy out for each phone but still ridiculous. It was never a $60 a month phone bill. And yes I'll pay my final bill by June 5 band sure the account will be closed but I want my credit history or the red x fixed. This is not my fault that at all. There should be history and there is of phone calls made prior to my bill going to credit bureau. Just so angry that I'm the one paying for it

The buy out for the costs of the phones may seem ridiculous, but the phone isnt free. If you are leaving koodo you need to pay for the phones you purchased. This would occur at any of the wireless companies.

Aside from your first bill (where there is proration), your other months bills should be close to your plan price unless there was a late payment or overage. You can view that on your detailed pdf ebill regarding what those extra charges above your $60 monthly plan might be. Again this would be the same as any other wireless company. Maybe you were not on the appropriate plan for your usage needs? You would need to review your detailed pdf ebill (not just the amount owing summary or text notification) to see.

Once your bills are all paid in full, the outstanding payment red X should be removed.
Just to be safe, I would login to your self serve on June 15 just to check and make sure that there are no additional charges that were not processed in time.

NOTE: You mentioned you will pay your final bill by June 5. If june 5 is your due data, you will need to submit your payment at least 5 business days before the due date as online/telephone payments do take 3-5 business days to process. Again this is the same as other wireless carriers. And this may be why your bill always seems higher if you are paying right on the due date.
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/how-pay-your-bill
The buy out on the phones is actually 250 each and $100 dollars that wasn't paid in April, that's the $100 that's was late and that's the $100 I was told to hold off on paying until my final bill. So the buy out of the phones wasn't bad at all. Just the service from the very first bill to the which was about $600 because of daytime minutes being used by my wife, doing extensive phone interviews for jobs. So I was constantly trying to catch up on the phone bill from there. Rogers called and offered a better deal so I went back. Now I've gotten 3 calls today, well a text saying your call back is coming soon. First call I explained my situation and after 10 mins on hold I was told to call billing, I said I actually didn't arrange a call back , I'll call billing when I get a chance, then at 3 I get the same message, I didn't answer the phone this time. Then at 6 I get a phone call again and answer it, the guy says well let me try and help you. I explain it again and says yes you need a manager, I'll transfer you. Exactly 26 mins on hold and I just hung up. I get what your saying about the billing and how to pay, and buy outs etc. Just getting the run around and wrong information, getting call backs then I didn't set up. Maybe it's just me but the service is horrible and frustrating. I'm back with Rogers and been with them for 18 years. Never ever had an issue like this. From. The first bill using daytime minutes racked up to almost $600 and not one message saying " yeah your bill is getting out of hand" but if I use my data they can let me know it's almost up. If I have time tomorrow I'll call "billing" ask for a manager and see what happens. And yes may 24 I'm paying my final bill, so it'll be good by June 5.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ok so these are legitimate overage charges. Currently no wireless carrier gives any notifications for talk minutes going out of hand (even with Rogers). That only happens with data and only because of the wireless code of conduct.
I remember reading that the CRTC said that Talk overage didnt need a cap or warning since customers are more easily able to track their talk usage compared to data. I would send your comments for a notification for talk overage to the CRTC. It's the only way they will know this is what customers want.

Best of luck to you at Rogers
It was totally our fault not looking at the actual plan we had for daytime minutes, and not familiar with self serve as we just opened our Koodo account, didn't see it until our first bill and then saw all the charges for daytime usage. Called and they said sorry about that, it's only $5 a month for unlimited. I said no that's ok. We are gonna cancel our plan. Now with my original complaint. I was thinking if my account was cancelled on April 13, shouldn't my plan be stopped until my final bill is ready? Because I was told not to pay until it is ready but I get the credit hit for not paying my April bill. May 10 was officially when my bill was ready

Here it says April was late and may I got the x.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Here it says April was late and may I got the x.
Just pay your bill now and any non-payment flags will be corrected, but any late payment flags may remain. And after 6 months everything should be back to normal again
My point is I don't want to wait 6 months for my credit to go back to normal for a mistake that Koodo made. Almost 30 points off my credit score. Because I was told not to make that $100 payment until my final bill was ready.

Im the one paying for a mistake Koodo made. Again horrible service, and when friends ask about my experience with Koodo , I'll let them know
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My point is I don't want to wait 6 months for my credit to go back to normal for a mistake that Koodo made. Almost 30 points off my credit score. Because I was told not to make that $100 payment until my final bill was ready.

Im the one paying for a mistake Koodo made. Again horrible service, and when friends ask about my experience with Koodo , I'll let them know

The status of all your accounts with any company you do business with is reported to Transunion every month. It is an offence to knowingly provide incorrect information to Transunion. The bill was past due, it was reported as past due. It. Was. Not. A. Mistake. Most companies will allow you to make payment arrangements for a large bill so you can protect your account from suspension. This does not mean that they will not report to Transunion that the bill was not paid in full by the due date.
A thirty point hit to an otherwise clean credit score is unlikely to have any effect whatsoever on your life. Pay the bill, take a deep breath and move on.
I would of fucking paid it. But was told not to. That's my point. If I paid the $100 that was owing this wouldn't of happened. The lady said don't worry about the 100. That's what I'm getting at. Why would I pay $100 when was told not too. Extra money in my pocket until Koodo had the final bill. Sure why not. The billing department said that customer service shouldn't have said that to me. But again its my fault. 30 points is a hit and when your looking at houses and getting an approval and they see a missed payment, it does hurt. Anyway this is going nowhere as your Koodo advocates. Horrible service and will definitely let anybody know about it.
Userlevel 5
would have*
Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
File a complaint with the ccts
https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/
Perfect thank you.