Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How do I resolve being charged for data twice?

Hello, Regarding Nexus 5 and recent Android Gmail update (period ending Dec 13): I setup a yahoo.ca account on the general purpose email appln on my phone. In the most recent Gmail update, it accessed my yahoo.ca account login coordinates in the Nexus 5 general purpose email appln. The Gmail appln now also imports the yahoo.ca email. My conclusion is I am being charged twice for email data: * Once for the general purpose email application * Once for the Gmail email application I always receive notifications for both email applications. I met with my Koodo rep two times, and tried many options but it was not possible to stop the Gmail appln from accessing my yahoo.ca mail without stopping the mail completely for both accounts. Regards, iRobert

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Why don't you use the actual yahoo email client app and force close and delete data for the Gmail and email apps within the app manager settings in the settings of the phone and even disable both if an option. Or if you want to use the email one on the phone then disable the Gmail one. Also your just receiving the notification for both of those apps not actually opening those messages in both so your only losing less than a single MB each month which isn't a big deal at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gmail app: Tap on the 3 horizontal bars located on the top left corner of the screen. Brings up a long menu. [b]Settings is near the bottom. Select and then tap on your gmail account and [b]deselect notifications. Now you should get notified [b]only from the main email app. I was also being driven nuts getting gmail and then email notifications a few minutes apart for the same stuff I had already dealt with. Paul Deschamps is right: your only data charges are minuscule for the notifications, which can be forced to happen on wifi only, by turning off mobile data --- no charge for unopened emails. Might be of interest: Data and how to make the most of it. http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/data-and-how-to-make-the-most-of-it _______________ If you see an answer you like, please give it a star
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just to clarify, you're not being charged twice for data, you are downloading similar information twice. I, too, would be frustrated if the app on my phone grabbed my other email accounts without permission, and downloaded emails to my phone. Hopefully the responses here will sort that out for you. The mail app on my phone keeps my accounts separate, but displays them all on the one screen if I choose. Each can be accessed individually and turned on or off individually as well.
The simplest path to stop GMail from importing yahoo.ca email is to turn off GMail sync: “If you turn off Gmail sync, new messages will stop syncing automatically. Open the Gmail app. Touch the menu. Select Settings. Choose an account. Uncheck the box next to Sync Gmail.” From this page: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2991620?hl=en