Koodo Community

How do I get old debt removed from my credit report

• 17 June 2017
  • 7 replies

I had an old account maybe 3 years ago. I was never contacted about it being in arrears (my brother was supposed to be paying the bill). A collection agency called me saying I owed money which I paid in full right then. I then called Koodo to find out why I was not notified they said I had been which is incorrect. I even double checked they had my correct number, mailing address and email . Which was all correct but I had no idea about arrears I hadn't received a letter or call from Koodo. The collection agency never reported to the credit bureau but I have 2 separate Koodo accounts showing in collections which there's only one account I had. I would like this information corrected or removed. I want to know who I speak with to get this fixed.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Errors on your Credit Report are usually addressed to the Credit Bureaus. You can contact TransUnion and Equifax to learn how to address this issue. If, as you have stated, it was not reported to the Credit Bureaus, than you only have to deal with the collection agency. Once you have the necessary info, you may need to contact Koodo billing department to obtain confirmation that you only ever had one account. Then you can proceed from there.

The very same thing happened to me Bailie! Just found out today from the bank and I might be denied for a mortgage and I have had 3 and never missed a payment on any of them. Koodo destroyed my credit that I have built over many years over $37. They did not do their due diligence in notifying me, no emails or calls, not even a message. I was not aware I owed a small balance when I discontinued the service and moved to fido. They forwarded the account to collections and ruined my credit score. Collection company CBV didn't even notify me either and said the same 2 accounts were active and one was a mistake! I want Koodo to contact me at XXX-XXX-XXX or email me at XXXXXX@XXXXXX.com immediately. I will take this to consumer matters. You CANNOT destroy a young hard working financially resposible mans credit over something like thit and now can't even get a loan. It is wrong!
Errors on your Credit Report are usually addressed to the Credit Bureaus. You can contact TransUnion and Equifax to learn how to address this issue. If, as you have stated, it was not reported to the Credit Bureaus, than you only have to deal with the collection agency. Once you have the necessary info, you may need to contact Koodo billing department to obtain confirmation that you only ever had one account. Then you can proceed from there.

The very same thing happened to me Bailie! Just found out today from the bank and I might be denied for a mortgage and I have had 3 and never missed a payment on any of them. Koodo destroyed my credit that I have built over many years over $37. They did not do their due diligence in notifying me, no emails or calls, not even a message. I was not aware I owed a small balance when I discontinued the service and moved to fido. They forwarded the account to collections and ruined my credit score. Collection company CBV didn't even notify me either and said the same. 2 accounts were active. I want Koodo to contact me at XXX-XXX-XXX immediately before I take this to consumer matters. You CANNOT destroy a young hard working financially resposible mans credit over something like thit. It is wrong!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The very same thing happened to me Bailie! Just found out today from the bank and I might be denied for a mortgage and I have had 3 and never missed a payment on any of them. Koodo destroyed my credit that I have built over many years over $37. They did not do their due diligence in notifying me, no emails or calls, not even a message. I was not aware I owed a small balance when I discontinued the service and moved to fido. They forwarded the account to collections and ruined my credit score. Collection company CBV didn't even notify me either and said the same. 2 accounts were active. I want Koodo to contact me at XXX-XXX-XXX immediately before I take this to consumer matters. You CANNOT destroy a young hard working financially resposible mans credit over something like thit. It is wrong!
@Jayhanos : I would suggest you pay the amount first and then do whatever you would like to do. You could follow David suggestions on Koodo billing department to get a confirmation of bill paid also.

Koodo won't likely call you on that number. They normally sent mail to the address on file before cancellation and final bill to your Koodo self-serve.
Badge +4
The user has to take some responsibility that an account is paid up when cancelled. Did you do your due diligence? Pretty sure they would rather just collect their money than send it to collections and I know they do try and contact a previous customer to get their funds when an account is cancelled.

They will not contact you so I would remove your number from a public forum. Use Davids advice above on how to proceed.
I had a similar thing happen to me. Apparently, this is how Koodo operates: they don’t care if a miscommunication ruins their customer’s credit rating for years! In my case, I moved (was traveling) and my auto payment instructions expired... so instead of emailing me or giving me a call... they supposedly sent a letter to my old address and while I thought my monthly auto-pay was still going. By the time I saw a large bill and contacted them about it, it was too late. Now the only delinquency on my credit report from 2 years ago is messing with my mortgage application. I’m going to try to get it removed, but if that doesn’t work I’m issuing a formal complaint to the Ministry of Government & Consumer Services. Anyone reading this who is in the same situation should file a formal complaint as well, otherwise these corporations are under no pressure to change their draconian policies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I had a similar thing happen to me. Apparently, this is how Koodo operates: they don’t care if a miscommunication ruins their customer’s credit rating for years! In my case, I moved (was traveling) and my auto payment instructions expired... so instead of emailing me or giving me a call... they supposedly sent a letter to my old address and while I thought my monthly auto-pay was still going. By the time I saw a large bill and contacted them about it, it was too late. Now the only delinquency on my credit report from 2 years ago is messing with my mortgage application. I’m going to try to get it removed, but if that doesn’t work I’m issuing a formal complaint to the Ministry of Government & Consumer Services. Anyone reading this who is in the same situation should file a formal complaint as well, otherwise these corporations are under no pressure to change their draconian policies.

Did you change your address on your account after you moved? If not, how does Koodo know your new address? That's why they send bills to your old address.
And you didn't know your auto pay expired for how long? I still check my payment every month to avoid any miss payment even if it's under auto pay.
You can claim complain and blame Koodo about this to any agencies and public forum.
But is it 100% Koodo's fault?
Is it better to contact them and figure out how to fix this issue together if it's still possible