Koodo Community

Fraudulent Premium Text Messages

• 31 January 2021
  • 33 replies

I've encountered an odd situation and hopefully someone on here can shed some light.

Got the bill for our account today (2 phone numbers on one account, I'm the only authorized account holder) and it shows 2 events as "In-App" purchases for $4.99 each on my wife's number. 

After a frustrating call in to Koodo customer service to figure out what exactly that means, I'm told that those charges are from Premium Text messages. Apparently, they came from a third party payments company called Infomedia (www.infomedia.co.uk) and I'm supposed to go dispute the charge with them. 

My wife has never heard of them or replied to any premium texts agreeing to payment terms. I asked the customer service representative what Koodo does to protect customers from fraudulent Premium Text charges and didn't get an answer. 

After hanging up and taking a closer look at the bill, I was able to determine that both charges occurred on consecutive Saturdays at exactly 8:18 pm. With that information in hand, we left my wife's phone off for 2 hours arounds 8:18pm the following Saturday. Sure enough, we got a message from number 5415 that said her subscription to Beyond VR was renewed for another week after turning the phone back on.

My wife's number is not authorized to make purchases or un-pause data and according to my Service Agreement I'm supposed to be able to decide whether she's allowed to accept additional charges.

The text we received is clearly fraudulent, as the email addresses are wrong and play off a real company that is listed on the Google Play app store. What I want to know is how Koodo is getting away with allowing fraudulent charges against our accounts? I didn't agree to accept these charges and took every reasonable precaution to keep my information private. 

33 replies

I’ve had a similar situation recently where a long distance charge for a call to Los Angeles on Jan 7th that I never made showed up on my bill. The call duration was 28 minutes in length for $14.

Does Koodo have a fraud department we can speak with to address these concerns?

Thank You

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve had a similar situation recently where a long distance charge for a call to Los Angeles on Jan 7th that I never made showed up on my bill. The call duration was 28 minutes in length for $14.

Does Koodo have a fraud department we can speak with to address these concerns?

Thank You

@Bruno64 This is different from the OP. I would suggest you check your phone and see if there was a call to that number.

Also did you attend any voice conference recently? Some conference app dialed long distance number to connect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Srietze: from the screenshot, the charge was a subscription from beyond VR, which is an app? Did you recall you used or had an app with that name in your phone? It might be the cause for the charge.

What I suggest you do is to contact them (the 3rd party billing company) and wait for their answer on the charge. If they cannot explain it, you could dispute further with them or Koodo.

I have the simillar situation i was charge 4.99 multiple time in  total about $14 , i contacted koodo and they are saying this is third party and refuse to refund the money , How come so much fraud happening and Koodo is not helping or mitigating the issue , i am worried that this will happen in next bill as well ? I received a text message and it says 4.99 charge . there were about 3 such charge . Please let me know if koodo can reimburse ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo already told you they won't. Where are these texts coming from? It's some sort of service that you're being overcharged for and maybe didn't even realize you signed up for.

I never signed up for any thing and looks like text message came from some company in UK , that’s all what I can tell from the text message that we send to my email , this is so unfortunate that client is losing money because Koodo can’t mitigate such risk . Very disappointed looks like I will have to cancel my number 

Text was send my them to my phone not the email*

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Text was send my them to my phone not the email*

Can you post a screen shot of the text you received from there in your original post here...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks, i’ll continue the discussion in your thread here…

I've encountered an odd situation and hopefully someone on here can shed some light.

Got the bill for our account today (2 phone numbers on one account, I'm the only authorized account holder) and it shows 2 events as "In-App" purchases for $4.99 each on my wife's number. 

After a frustrating call in to Koodo customer service to figure out what exactly that means, I'm told that those charges are from Premium Text messages. Apparently, they came from a third party payments company called Infomedia (www.infomedia.co.uk) and I'm supposed to go dispute the charge with them. 

My wife has never heard of them or replied to any premium texts agreeing to payment terms. I asked the customer service representative what Koodo does to protect customers from fraudulent Premium Text charges and didn't get an answer. 

After hanging up and taking a closer look at the bill, I was able to determine that both charges occurred on consecutive Saturdays at exactly 8:18 pm. With that information in hand, we left my wife's phone off for 2 hours arounds 8:18pm the following Saturday. Sure enough, we got a message from number 5415 that said her subscription to Beyond VR was renewed for another week after turning the phone back on.

My wife's number is not authorized to make purchases or un-pause data and according to my Service Agreement I'm supposed to be able to decide whether she's allowed to accept additional charges.

The text we received is clearly fraudulent, as the email addresses are wrong and play off a real company that is listed on the Google Play app store. What I want to know is how Koodo is getting away with allowing fraudulent charges against our accounts? I didn't agree to accept these charges and took every reasonable precaution to keep my information private. 

Hi!

I'm having the exact same issue. Don't listen to everyone here saying you must've clicked on something or people INSINUATING you've done this yourself. There are only two people in my household and I'm the only person who touches my phone. I found 4 charges originally on my account and was told it's a company called Boku that charges your account to get you to call in about their services. Was given their email to unsubscribe and "get a refund". Emailed them and they said I don't have an account...strange. I called Koodo back today and had a firey conversation with a really rude rep who repeated the same information and then treated me as if I sent the wrong information. After treating me like an idiot he finally said "Oh now after looking more into it, I see it's from a site called infomedia". Gave me the same spiel about emailing them to unsubscribe and ask for my money back because "it's not Koodo's charge". I sent infomedia an email and received a reply that they've unsubscribed my number but I need to email ca@beyond-vr.com for billing inquiries or refunds. However, he casually mentioned "Please be aware the account cannot be started without a pin", which leads me to assume they're going to somehow pin this on me, pun intended. Funny thing is I checked my spam and every message about this from "BeyondVR" has gone to my spam. If this is ALLLL legitimate, why would it go straight to slam. I'll be getting to the bottom of this one way or another because I now have $40 worth of charges and I will not be paying it. I'll try to keep you updated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The fact that messages end up in your spam box is indicative of nothing except the fact that they've ended up in your spam box. 100% legitimate emails get mistakenly filtered as spam all the time.

The fact that messages end up in your spam box is indicative of nothing except the fact that they've ended up in your spam box. 100% legitimate emails get mistakenly filtered as spam all the time.

On my email sure. Not my phone. So...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

On my email sure. Not my phone. So...

You realize, that email spam filters and text message spam filters work exactly the same way, right? The only reason more emails than texts get filtered is that globally there are a lot more companies communicating by email than by text.

Listen dude...have fun explaining spam messages all you want but if you want some simple evidence that this is a scam, here you go:

We got text messages (mine sent to spam) that we were subscribed to this. Look at the screenshot above posted of the messages.  The first message is "Enter PIN (gives pin #) to complete your BeyondVR subscription". The next message immediately after that is NOT AN ENTERED PIN. It's a message saying "Welcome to Beyond VR. You can access your account..." Blah blah blah. If we activated it ourselves, would there not be a message where we entered the pin? You see the message where he said "STOP" so why no entered pin?

If you're not actually going to be helpful and are just going to point out useless facts because you're bored or because you "drink and think you know stuff", please stop being condescending and wasting people's time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Dude, move the goalposts all you like, but YOU'RE the one who suggested that ending up in the spam filter was somehow inherent proof of its legitimacy or lack thereof. 

Well now you have more proof. Moving on.

And I don't mean to be argumentative so I apologize for that. It's just really frustrating to have Kodoo not be helpful and then get no help from anyone else either. You feel like you're getting taken for a ride.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi there! 

Thanks for the report! 

Infomedia is a third party vendor through which specific online purchases can be completed, such as games and apps.

Carriers only simplify the billing process by allowing the purchases to be charged on the mobile services bill.

An app purchase should have the following steps, before getting a confirmation message to confirm the subscription/ purchase confirmation: 

One navigates to a website or app where attempts to purchase a game, app or service, and is presented with the option to pay with their mobile phone, the a consent must be given once the confirmation message is received, as stated above.

If you consider this may be a spam and you never navigated for such an online purchase, we would kindly recommend to contact our privacy department:  privacy@koodomobile.com

Regards,

Flo

Thank you! Seems like very deliberate steps need to be taken for access to be granted which I and I'm sure everyone else would remember doing. I'll contact the email you provided. Cheers

Hi All, 

I just had the exact same thing happen to me and am a Telus customer. This thread came up in my Google search of the issue so I thought I would respond in case users of other providers have  had this happen to them as well. Like the other users here, charges with no information other than (infomedia.co.uk - had to call Telus for them to find that for me) were appearing on my mobility bill. 

Like the other users, I can confirm that no steps were taken on my part to accept any such services nor do I own any apps with in-app purchase capabilities on my phone. I also never received any texts, spam or otherwise related to such charges - this was done completely without my knowledge or consent. 

I’ve informed Telus and they seem to be aware of the scam but had asked me to reach out to Infomedia for more information (victim blaming lol). Can anyone let me know if/how this scam was resolved through Koodo? 

Thanks

I have on my current bill also 1 event as "In-App" purchases for $4.99. Had to ask to go to retention as I had read the above comments, gone through texts, emails, apps, playstores, phone usage. I have done tech support for almost 5y so not tech illerate and have not been able to make any connections to this company that Koodo  directs you to I got the same speeil and told to contact infomedia.co.uk. along with a beyond VR app. I have nothing in my history or library or text or email including spam of anything related. 

Please comment if you have had any success in finding a solution with Koodo on this matter. Only $4.99 but if its happening to many ppl should this not be a bigger concern. And not having the buck passed to customers to have to figure out. Hiding behind privacy policy. If your the one giving kood to inquire or investigate why wouldn't you if there is scams happening. Look forward to info.

Contact customer service and email privacy@koodomobile.com to let them know. It’s a known scam. It’s not really privacy issue per se, but they are scamming Telus/Koodo customers so they would probably like to know. 

You’ll need to contact infomedia.co.uk to let them know they need to cancel any subscriptions for Beyond VR to your phone. It’s a total scam what Beyond VR are doing, the company doesn’t exist. So let Infomedia know before any more charges happen to your account. 

When I let Infomedia know, the tried to put me in touch with Beyond VR who sent me an email in broken English asking for all of my bank account information, LOL! So yeah, needless to say don’t send them your bank info. 

Does anyone know if texting STOP BEYONDVR to 5415 actually stops the charges? It’s happening on my sons phone (6 weekly charges over the last month and a half) but he says he isn’t receiving any text messages saying he’s being charged. I’m wondering if he just send the text without  receiving the text if it will stop the charges.