Koodo Community

Community

Solved

False advertising re: unlimited long distance with Canada.

How can Koodo claim to have unlimited long distance in Canada when I just got a bill for $50 for long distance calls. I took a trip to Fort St. John from my home on Vancouver Island and used the phone freely, assuming that my Koodo account gave me free long distance within Canada. When I got the bill I called support and they explained that there really is no such thing as long distance in Canada as far as Koodo is concerned, the whole country is a local call, and your limit of 50 minutes of local air time is the controlling factor. I had assumed that calls from anywhere outside of my local area on Vancouver Island would be long distance and free of charge. How can Koodo claim to give free long distance when in fact they don't? What I have is really an account that gives 50 minutes of calling, period. After that you pay 40 cents a minute. I call that false advertising. Bernie

16 replies

Userlevel 3
Instead of being limited to 50 minutes local calling your plan is limited to 50 minutes within Canada calling. I consider this a big improvement from even just a few years ago. Some of Koodo's plans have unlimited calling but it seems that you are not on one of those plans. You could always change your plan in self serve. Of course it will cost more per month.
Userlevel 7
What they advertise with "unlimited Canadian LD" is the calls you make don't get charged LD if they're within Canada but you are still subject to a bucket of minutes per month (if your plan isn't unlimited airtime). It's a small but important notice to make. Perhaps they'll cut you a break since you didn't know? You could consider moving to the $29 plan, as it has 4x the amount of minutes and it has evenings/weekends unlimited at 5pm, which is very good value versus the old 50 minute plans.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Most cellphone companies give you a certain number of local minutes per month. This covers calling within your local calling area. On top of that, these companies also charge you extra for every long distance minute that you use, unless you buy a package to cover long distance charges, which, at least in the past, gave you a limited number of long distance minutes to use. Koodo's long distance minutes are unlimited in that no matter how many long distance calls you make you will never be charged for a long distance call. Unlimited long distance does not mean that you can call as much as you want as long as you make sure it's a long distance call.
Unlimited Long Distance refers to not paying Long Distance charges. You still have to follow your airtime usage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think it's suppose to be no long distance instead of unlimited long distance
Userlevel 6
It's not unlimited long distance unless you are on an unlimited plan. It's no long distance charges for the minutes you have available. There is a difference.
Chris Petersens wrote:

It's not unlimited long distance unless you are on an unlimited plan. It's no long distance charg...

It's always been listed as "unlimited long distance" where unlimited is no charges for Canadian calls.
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

It's not unlimited long distance unless you are on an unlimited plan. It's no long distance charg...

Tomatoe/tomato. 🙂 But I get what you mean.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think it's only confusing because only the elders among us remember the dark ages 5-10 years ago when there was such a thing as "limited long distance".
Userlevel 3
Based on what you are stating it's not false advertising. Based on your post it's you not understanding your plan. I'd suggest logging into yourself serve and check out your price plan details. All Koodo's price plan included Canadian long distance but airtime charges are applicable.
Userlevel 1
Not only that Rocky, because Koodo also allows you to call WITHOUT using any available minutes after 5pm (my plan) and free weekend time periods. I signed up for this plan when it was an add on. And the detailed info I got from the Koodo agent was the same as my written Koodo Contract.
Userlevel 3
Moto G wrote:

Not only that Rocky, because Koodo also allows you to call WITHOUT using any available minutes af...

The older expired plans only include local minutes as well. Any long distance you were charged pay per use. So I guess it all boils down to which price plan it is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Moto G wrote:

Not only that Rocky, because Koodo also allows you to call WITHOUT using any available minutes af...

I don't believe the 50 minute plans ever included unlimited evenings and weekends. That typically started with the 100 minute plans.
Userlevel 1
Moto G wrote:

Since the olden days I've updated to 6G Canada Wide. My point is I have never paid long distance or minutes overages charges, because I stayed within USAGE LIMITS which has always been written in the contract and verbally expressed by Koodo Sales Staff.
Userlevel 5
Technically, you didn't pay anything for long distance. You payed for additional minutes, just like you would have if you called your neighbor for 4 hours.
Userlevel 2
It seems you have misunderstood the terms of your plan. Why would you think that your plan would limit you to 50 mins. while in your home area code, but give you unfettered talk time outside of your area code? It seems counter-intuitive.