Koodo Community
Question

Excessive Data Usage

• 18 October 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi. I noticed on one of my accounts (…….3452) that there was a data charge for 3.8 GB on October 16. This does not make sense as my daughter was only on the app for 6 min and could not have used this much data. This must be a mistake and I would appreciate your help in getting this data usage removed from my account. Screenshots attached. 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And that's 3.8GB on your phone for the 6 minute time period of the day only and not for the month to date? It says current period on the last screencap. I do see the day on the first cap but I'm not sure if it changes or what. That's a burst of 85mbps for 6 minutes straight. It is a lot if it wasn't downloading a large video or something. Depends on what the app was used for. This is your phone recording the data use rather than Koodo’s software recording it for view in self-serve.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“huge data usage in 5 minutes!!” See another surprised parent after an app consumed 5.5Gb in 5 minutes

here is the data usage on Koodo account showing big spike

It shows that VSCO was on for 6 min that day, but there’s no way it could have used almost 4GB of data in that 6 min, must be a glitch somewhere

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

4G LTE Max data rate: 12 Mbps

6 minutes = 360 seconds

360s x 12Mbps = 4,320Mb= 4.32GB

Unfortunately, it is possible.

You need to establish rules to minimize data usage of data-intensive media apps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

VSCO is a HQ photo application. Therefore it is possible that it has used alot of data in a short amount of time. I’m not sure what this app might’ve been used for to total for that amount of data but it definitely happened and it can’t be a bug. Very unfortunate but not impossible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It shows that VSCO was on for 6 min that day, but there’s no way it could have used almost 4GB of data in that 6 min, must be a glitch somewhere

It shows 6mins of screentime but The app could be running in the background.  if anything, your screenshots shows that your iphone confirmed that VSCO used 3.8GB worth of data.  Because it is legitimately data that was used by your phone, there is nothing Koodo can do or should do.  Your complaint should be to the makers of the VSCO app.