Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Erronously charged for Data

I have been charged $10 for data usage (2.6MB), but my phone's "Mobile data" is turned off, and has been since I got my phone. Are there any more details available on the data that was used? Date maybe?

10 replies

Userlevel 4
When you look at the data usage in Self Serve, it can give you approximite times when it was used. Generally, if you are charged for data use, the data is not, in fact, turned off.
Userlevel 1
You can use your Self Serve apps on your mobile or PC to check your Data usage for given period.
maybe its data with pic or video in sms ?
Userlevel 6
Is it possible your data is not turned off? From the network I mean.
RudyW wrote:

Is it possible your data is not turned off? From the network I mean.

It is not turned off at the network...I keep it turned off on my phone. (Samsung S3, Settings -> Data Usage -> Mobile Data always unchecked)
Thanks for the responses...I was able to find the dates and amounts of data. Still don;t know how it happened, as my "mobile data" is and has always been turned off on my phone.
Userlevel 7
Data is usually enabled during the initial setup of the phone so it's possible that either the rep or you, in store (or if you got it online/shipped in) were setting up Google, email, checking the browser, or the weather. Check to make sure the GPS feature is off to. I hear it can leak out some data too.
Jonathan I wrote:

Data is usually enabled during the initial setup of the phone so it's possible that either the re...

Thanks, and I agree this could be a likely reason. However, I have owned my phone for ~8 months now...data was turned on initially, but I have not had any data since. It just appeared on my latest bill.
Userlevel 5
If you want to avoid data charges all together - I suggest getting a data block add-on on your phone. This means that you won't be allowed access to data when WiFi is not available. However if this is selected, you won't be able to send or receive picture messages as that requires a data connection.
John Lee wrote:

If you want to avoid data charges all together - I suggest getting a data block add-on on your ph...

Yeah, I discussed this when I first got the phone. I figured if I left the Mobile Data unchecked, I would be OK...then if I ever did want some data, I could make that decision. Hasn't been a problem until now. Thanks.