Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Definitive explanation of "rounding up to 10K" for data usage requested

The Koodo web site says data usage is rounded up to 10K. But they don't specify when the rounding occurs. I'm guessing that not every TCP/IP packet gets rounded up. But I still don't know when the rounding occurs. Could someone provide a definitive answer? Thanks.

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Soon as you reach 1024MB of data use (assuming you're on a 1 GB price plan). Soon as your data limit hits 1025MB a data charge will apply for an additional $10 for an addtional 1024MB of data use.
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Soon as you reach 1024MB of data use (assuming you're on a 1 GB price plan). Soon as your data li...

Thanks, but that's not what I was asking about.
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Soon as you reach 1024MB of data use (assuming you're on a 1 GB price plan). Soon as your data li...

Iam asking contact I up grade Samsung said I will get 1000 MBA more where is that
Rocky Balboa wrote:

What is meant zerthat is my question awnse
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Please start a new thread, Mohinder.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Ndola, Usually providers don't specify EXACTLY how they calculate data used, but I take it you are worried how fast your data will be used up... if you have other motives for your enquiry I suggest you contact Koodo Legal direct 😉 As I mentioned in the other thread 8 months ago, I am always pleasantly surprised how little data is used when I'm not in WiFi (I'm on prepaid too). I'm convinced that Koodo is fair in their calculations, sometimes rounding up but also down. I was very worried too when I signed up, because Telus rounds up at 1KB and Koodo at 10KB. I have been with both and never noticed any difference, if anything Koodo seems to use up my data slower! I hope you'll get a definite answer, but I doubt very much you'll get it, as I said I don't think carriers are obligated to show the inside of their kitchen - they just have an obligation to serve good food 😃
Userlevel 4
Sophia wrote:

Hi Ndola, Usually providers don't specify EXACTLY how they calculate data used, but I take it ...

The best analogy about this issue. Ever. Now I'm hungry. But yes, Koodo won't go into that much detail about how it works, just what can be done to minimize any data use.
Sophia wrote:

Hi Ndola, Usually providers don't specify EXACTLY how they calculate data used, but I take it ...

Sophia, thanks for your comment. The issue (for me) is that I am going to be doing some non-typical stuff with my phone, and I don't want to find out too late that their rounding affects my particular usage in a bad way. Koodo may choose to no give a definitive answer, but the answer should be available. Presumably they have some computer program which calculates the usage, and that program has to have some set of rules built in which do the calculations. They may find it inconvenient to go and look up exactly what is going on, but they certainly could. The new CRTC "fairness" and "openness" rules should, I would hope, force telecommunication companies to be specific about how they calculate usage. Koodo is already being a bit generous to itself by rounding up (and really, what possible justification is there for doing that, other than to increase revenue?), so while customers can decide whether they want to live with that or not, they should know "what" and "when" amounts are being rounded up. Cheers.
Sophia wrote:

I would like to see this question get answered.  It's 4 years old and nobody has an answer?

The maximum transmission unit (MTU) for Ethernet is 1500 bytes.  If Koodo rounded up every packet to 10k they'd be charging us for nearly double the data we are actually using (and I wouldn't put it past them!).

Say they round up to nearest 10kB with no time period specified is completely useless information!  They're saying, "We'll do whatever we want; just trust us".  I've had four phones on a Koodo plan for five years and am basically satisfied, but silly wording like this insults my intelligence and makes me want to switch.

There's little point in switching, though.  The three national cell phone companies in Canada leave us with essentially no choice.  They don't care about customer service -- look at Koodo, charging you if you want to talk to an actual human being, what a way to avoid giving people service even when you're handing them $200 to $300 per month.  And they just laugh at the idea of people switching services because half the time you'll just be switching to another service the same company owns (e.g., Telus/Koodo or Fido/Rogers), or else you'll get frustrated with the other one over some issue that they handled better and be back someday.  They have a captive audience.  In markets where there is real competition, like Europe, things are a lot different.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

The answer has been given in this thread, and that is Koodo nor any other provider has chosen to disclose their methods of calculation. Sadly, we live in Canada. If this becomes a major objection to life here, our only option left is to move to Europe. Sadly, that is probably as official as it gets (though I am NOT an official representative and DON'T speak for Koodo).
Sophia wrote:

I saw your answer. I wasn't challenging you, but Koodo. I thought that was obvious; sorry you didn't realise that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

No no Angelo, I did realize that... I just tried to point out that 4 years from that post, things have not changed. As the lack of Koodo participation in this thread seems to prove 🙂