Koodo Community

Community

Solved

data usage charges when cellular is turned off

I have an iPhone 4, and the cellular data is turned OFF, but for the last two billing periods I've gotten a notice saying I've used 50% of my data plan. This month I looked into it on the self-serve site, and see that SOMETHING is happening every hour starting at 1:11, then 2:11, etc. How can there be ANY data usage showing when cellular is off?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Lisa.

This is actually weird. How do you close your cellular data? 
Settings-General-Cellular-toggle switch to OFF

Userlevel 5
Did you upgrade to ios 9 recently?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Could ios 9 be causing this?
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

iPhone 4 can't go past 7.1.2
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

haha oops!

No upgrades recently, certainly not to ios 9.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do you regularly reset your usage data statistics to see which app is accessing data?
no, my husband uses the phone for texting and for playing Solitaire. He checks his FB on it when at home and connected to Wifi. Beyond the rare phone call, that's all the phone gets used for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa Specht wrote:

no, my husband uses the phone for texting and for playing Solitaire. He checks his FB on it when ...

If you dont use data or send picture messages you can call Koodo to disable Data in the account.

Or if you do, you can disable regular data only by chaging the APN settings if they are editable on your iphone

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa Specht wrote:

no, my husband uses the phone for texting and for playing Solitaire. He checks his FB on it when ...

It sounds like turning off the data is not actually turning off the Data.  You may also need to take the phone into the Apple Store to get it checked out if you want a actual fix instead of the work-arounds I mentioned above