Koodo Community
Solved

Data Usage and Bill

So, I was getting increased Data Usage on my phone. I even got the text alerts. I took precautions and restricted data on any apps that may have been problematic. My phone says I’m fine and I’ve only used a few MB. But Koodo says I’ve already used 90% of my monthly data. Somehow I managed to use over 1000MB at 5:11 PM on the 29th. I have no idea how that happened, and I’m panicking because there’s no customer service number that lets me talk to a person about this.

icon

Best answer by nim4165 1 October 2020, 16:00

Is this a new increase of data usage compared to recent weeks/months. Can it be explained by an installation of a ‘Heavy’ new application which uses high amounts of data (during use or in the background).

If none of the above applies to your case, ask for a callback via Koodo Chat  www.koodomobile.com/chat  Type #helpss 

Explain you situation to the rep and seek advice

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Is this a new increase of data usage compared to recent weeks/months. Can it be explained by an installation of a ‘Heavy’ new application which uses high amounts of data (during use or in the background).

If none of the above applies to your case, ask for a callback via Koodo Chat  www.koodomobile.com/chat  Type #helpss 

Explain you situation to the rep and seek advice

Could be. I’m not sure if the app in question (Happy Color) is known for high data consumption. I greatly reduced my playtime and turned off background data prior to the day in question. I just deleted it today, just to be safe.

Userlevel 7

Google it and find if other users experience a similar increased in data usage

I tried that. There was nothing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What phone do you have?

Both android and iphone should have a data usage meter for each app in their settings.

Android you can set it to match your billing cycle and set internal warning even prior to Koodo’s texts.  With iphone it is more manual and you need to reset it at the end of each billing period.

Also make sure you dont have wifi assist turned on.  This allows the phone to use wifi and data at the same time.

Samsung Android.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Here’s how to check data consumption on Sasmsung : https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Data-Usage-on-Samsung-Galaxy

I already know how to do that. I mentioned that in the first comment. My phone said my data usage was fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I already know how to do that. I mentioned that in the first comment. My phone said my data usage was fine.

Are you saying your data usage meter in your phone does not align with your self serve data usage?

Can you post a screen shot of your phone’s data usage?

Can you also post a screen shot of your self serve data usage?

Found the problem. My landlady had to get the modem fixed. I put the new password on my computer, but not my phone. So my phone wasn't using the Wi-Fi even though I thought it was.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Found the problem. My landlady had to get the modem fixed. I put the new password on my computer, but not my phone. So my phone wasn't using the Wi-Fi even though I thought it was.

If what you said and then confirmed was indeed correct then in this case, your data usage in your phone’s setting should have matched the data usage in Self serve.

You said in your original post your phone’s data usage is fine.  Then you re-iterated it when we asked again that you know how to do that and that it was fine and that you stated this previously (and in a somewhat curt manner).

If this was indeed accurate, you may have other underlying issues.

Seems the Koodo bill resets on the 28th while my phone resets at the end of the month. Seems dumb if you ask me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Seems the Koodo bill resets on the 28th while my phone resets at the end of the month. Seems dumb if you ask me.

If you are using android, you are able to set your data usage meter to match your billing cycle.  it is on the Data usage screen.  Having it align with your billing cycle will be much more helpful.