Koodo Community

Community

Solved

data usage

on first two days of ownig my first smart phone ( a nexus 4), my data usage was 197 Mb - and the breakdown said the biggest one was 180Mb for google services then15.8 mb on google play store, then some other smaller ones for facebook email etc. I panicked that I was about to use my 500 mb a month up in three dyas and turned the mobile data switch of but still, how could that much be used when I just got phone - even thigs id dint' touch were o there like google magazine

5 replies

Userlevel 2
These are updates from applications. When you have mobile data turned on, applications can update themselves unless you set the option to update while only on wifi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

These are updates from applications. When you have mobile data turned on, applications can update...

I use wifi whenever I'm home. It's where I do all my OS updates, app downloads, music downloads and streaming. If you use data for that you'll never have enough data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is how you turn on wifi only auto-updates. Open Google Play Store Tap on Menu and go the Setting Check the “Auto-update apps “ Check the “Update Over Wi-Fi only” too
Great tip Robert. I don't want to block data, due to needing it for MMS, but thats all I want to use it for. Are there any other settings that should be turned off? I take it your tip is good for "all apps" globally, but should you go through each app for hidden settings? Thanks
Userlevel 2
Todd Ouellette wrote:

Great tip Robert. I don't want to block data, due to needing it for MMS, but thats all I want to ...

You could do that.