Koodo Community
Solved

Data overage for 1 KB of data

I recently signed up for Koodo on the $25/month plan that has unlimited talk/text, but no data. Figured no data would be fine since I’m on Wifi all the time these days (as I’m sure most of us are).

However, during the initial setup of my new phone, between the time of booting the phone and connecting to my Wifi network, cellular data was on and managed to use a minuscule amount of data -- according to my phone, around 4 KB. According to Koodo, however, 1 KB (or 0.0010 MB).

I figured I’d be hit with the data overage, but based on some sleuthing through the forums here, Koodo has a limit of either 250 KB (based on this and this) or 25 KB (based on this) before charging for data.

Evidently, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

And based on reading other posts in the forum, I can only assume that my only recourse is to DM Koodo on Facebook or Twitter to see if I can get this charge reversed. Unless it can be resolved by a rep here?

Either way, I just wanted to put it out there that Koodo seems more than happy to charge for a single KB of data overage.

icon

Best answer by Cristian Koodo 28 March 2021, 16:36

@Arch and @swizzlem12 : I adjusted the amount owing on your new bill, the info will be updated within few minutes in your Self Serve account (www.koodo.com/self-serve).

You have a plan with no data, so it is highly recommended to turn cellular data off whether you have WiFi turned on, or not.

@Arch You are right about that 250 kbs add-on, it was attached to some older plans, but the new plan we have now on the website does not include it. There might be a pending data charge for your next bill, I will come back on April 28th on your account to see if it will actually be billed, and if it will, then I will adjust it.

Thank you!

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s possible to get help here if your email you used for the forum is the same as your self-serve. I can flag a rep to assist you. Otherwise yes a DM via FB/Twitter would be the most convenient option for oyu to get this reversed.

literally same…. 13$ for 0.0049 mb of data? that’s not even a google search!! Would love to know how to get this reversed, will call in the morning if necessary. After being brand loyal for 8 years this is sad sad sad 

@Goran Yes, I did sign up for this community account with my self serve email. So if you can flag a rep, I would be most appreciative, thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I've flagged a rep for you 

Badge +4

@Arch  & @swizzlem12 250 KB is indeed the data usage limit. In both instances, data usage is well below the 250 KB limit. A rep should be able to sort this out for you both.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@Arch and @swizzlem12 : I adjusted the amount owing on your new bill, the info will be updated within few minutes in your Self Serve account (www.koodo.com/self-serve).

You have a plan with no data, so it is highly recommended to turn cellular data off whether you have WiFi turned on, or not.

@Arch You are right about that 250 kbs add-on, it was attached to some older plans, but the new plan we have now on the website does not include it. There might be a pending data charge for your next bill, I will come back on April 28th on your account to see if it will actually be billed, and if it will, then I will adjust it.

Thank you!

@Cristian Koodo Awesome, thanks so much! 

Yeah, I made sure to turn off cellular data as soon as I could. I’ve had it off ever since, but I definitely still see some pending data charges for similarly small amounts of data (1-2 KB) for my next bill. Even though there isn’t any registered data use on my device.

I hope this doesn’t turn into a monthly affair of “whack-a-data”…

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Archand @swizzlem12 : I adjusted the amount owing on your new bill, the info will be updated within few minutes in your Self Serve account (www.koodo.com/self-serve).

@ArchYou are right about that 250 kbs add-on, it was attached to some older plans, but the new plan we have now on the website does not include it. There might be a pending data charge for your next bill, I will come back on April 28th on your account to see if it will actually be billed, and if it will, then I will adjust it.

Thank you!

Wait!   You removed 250kb of data?  
We have been asking Koodo to increase that amount to 10mb or even 5mb to prevent data leakage charge. 
But you removed it completely? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm really sad with the direction Koodo is heading. The Mobile Masters have long lobbied for the 250kb to be upped to at least 1 to 5mb, and now even the smallest amount of leeway is gone, effectively forcing people to add the data block (paid).

Personally I would not recommend this plan to anyone. Public Mobile is still offering Canada wide calling for $23 and they even chuck in 1gb of data with that.

I'm really appalled by company greed, come on Koodo, do the right thing. Reinstate this margin and up it a little, that would please everyone!

Userlevel 6

I'm really sad with the direction Koodo is heading. The Mobile Masters have long lobbied for the 250kb to be upped to at least 1 to 5mb, and now even the smallest amount of leeway is gone, effectively forcing people to add the data block (paid).

Personally I would not recommend this plan to anyone. Public Mobile is still offering Canada wide calling for $23 and they even chuck in 1gb of data with that.

I'm really appalled by company greed, come on Koodo, do the right thing. Reinstate this margin and up it a little, that would please everyone!

It is almost like they don't want customers.

Badge +4

This is news to me too. I’m guessing that because this was a non-data plan, someone made the executive decision to dispense with the 250 KB buffer. Regardless of whether one has data or not, the 250 KB limit was never an add-on and intended as an overage buffer of sorts on all plans.

250 KB of data is a meagre amount of data by today’s standards particularly when you take into consideration the advent of faster mobile data download speeds. This is one of the reasons we’ve lobbied to increase this data amount. Five or ten megabytes should be more than adequate.

The other point is that since all new phones are shipped from the manufacturer with data pre-enabled, the absence of a data buffer is once again a step backward, a waste of time and valuable resources (having to summon reps to correct the problem) and unfair to unsuspecting customers.

I’m glad to hear the charges have been adjusted accordingly.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just wanted to close out this story (on a positive note).

As you might remember, my April bill (i.e. my now current bill) was already showing some data leakage. Indeed, when I finally got the bill at the end of the period, it was showing the $13 data overage for just under 5 KB of usage. But, credit where credit is due, either @Cristian Koodo or someone else on the Koodo team has already adjusted that overage away (at least as of today). Thank you, #1.

More importantly, however, it seems like the 250 KB add-on/limit has been added to my account (based on the “Data 250KB $0 SFD” add-on that showed up when viewing my rate plan sometime during April). Hopefully, this should save both myself and Koodo the trouble of disputing these data overages every month (but it’s worth noting that I haven’t seen any more data leakage since the start of the month). Thank you, #2.

Overall, I’d say the situation has been more than adequately resolved, in my opinion. Cheers!