Koodo Community

Community

Data overage?

I got a warning 2 days ago saying I used up 75% of my data. Yesterday as I was leaving work I recieved a text saying I used up 90% of my data. So before i started driving home I put my iphone in driving mode. I turned it off once I got home 40 mins later and there were 40 text messages from koodo saying I used up all my data.
How did I use so much data while in driving mode. Doesn't koodo freeze data usage and send a text offering to add more data for a certain price. It looks like I now owe $70 for using 1.3gig while I wasn't even using my phone. 

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The shock free data is only for newer plans and you need to check in self-serve that it's enabled if you do have it. You might have had app or system updates or something to that effect. How much data do you have? You can use apple's built in data tracker to se but it doesn't reset monthly but it can give you a general idea if you hadn't manually reset it recently. You can download data tracking apps from the app store for the future at least to see what has been using how much data and when.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

The shock free data is only for newer plans and you need to check in self-serve that it's enabled...

Wasn't shock free data pushed to everyone in early December as part of the new crtc regulations?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

The shock free data is only for newer plans and you need to check in self-serve that it's enabled...

All plans come with SFD now.

40 Text messages sound like a lot?  What did the text messages say?
Goran wrote:

TO goran:
I have shock free data. When I look at my current bill cycle it shows a Data box with a pink circle showing 1370mb and below says $70 data. to the right of that is a box showing shock free data 4gb with a grey circle showing 4096mb/4096 in the middle of it. And to the right of that is another box that says 2gb with a grey circle with 2048mb/2048mb in the center of it.   I'll be irritated if I'm stuck with this extra $70 charge. I've since deleted any app that could have been using data. It might be possible that the pokerstars app may have been sucking up data. Thats the only new app I've gotten in the past month. Regardless I figured my data should have been stopped?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

That is weird that your data is not shutting off once you have reached your limit.

When you log into self serve and view your data usage, are you seeing the overage data being used?

EDIT: I see your reply to Goran.
You will need to caontact Koodo and have them investigate why your SFD is not working and to adjust your bill.

You can send them a private message on Facebook or twitter or call them *611 on yoru koodo cell.

In the mean time, just turn off your data manually in your settings
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Hey AP - looking at your account, it looks like notification preference may have been changed or not set up properly. You're being notified when you hit certain percentages of your bucket, but not blocked when you reach 100%. Follow the steps below to set your notification preferences:
To receive, turn off, or change alerts about your data usage, just check or uncheck the box at this Self Serve link (login needed):
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

@Ranjan
I thought everyone's settings were locked in for SFD

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Dennis, if that's your screenshot your number is in it
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

He got a nice number
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Shhhh.... dont call me

Goran wrote:

who do I gotta blow to get my data blocked when I hit my limit? I don't see that option anywhere in the link you posted ranjan. 
I'll copy and paste my options here cause I'm to stupid to know how to screen shot my computer screen. 
I almost posted my phone number too. 
Domestic alerts 

780-xxx-xxxx will get a text message when their data use reaches:

75%

90%

100%

Yes! Send 780-xxx-xxxx text messages as they reach their data limits.

International alertsCollapse

780-xxx-xxxx will get a text message when their data use reaches:

90%

100%

and...
when their additional data cost reaches:
$10

$50

$100

Yes! Send 780-xxx-xxxx text messages as they reach their data limits.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Yeah so bascially the same as mine.  I believe that all plans should look like this since everyone got moved over to shock free data
Goran wrote:

Yeah.  So where is the option to block data when limits are hit? 
Goran wrote:

And why do all my replies show up as duplicates on my end? I need a beer...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

THAT is a self-serve option, as long as you have a SFD plan. The settings for your data alerts and actions can all be modified in Self-serve. If you have an older plan which is not  a Shock-Free Data plan, you would need to upgrade. There should be an option to receive the alerts, and one to block the data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

The duplicates is an error that happens occasionally on the community.  I have removed them.

@David, that option is no longer available as I dont see it on my self serve.  Are you able to see it on yours?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

@Dennis, seems to have changed since I last looked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

@David, Does yours look similar to what AP81 and I see?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Data only stops if you are on a shock free plan, and if you disabled overage. In that case you should receive a text offering you more data.

As for what can be using that much data, check your phone... Koodo does not track what data is used for (they can't, legally). Might be a rogue app gobbling up your data, or maybe you set it to update apps etc using your data plan.
how do you disable overage?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ap81 wrote:

With koodo ShockFreeData, if you setup properly, you would be asked if you want overage data.
However, there is no automatic anti-overage function for talking minutes
ap81 wrote:

K so HOW EXACTLY DO YOU SET IT UP PROPERLY SO YOU DON'T GET CHARGED OVERAGES?  One of us has to be an idiot, it might be me be cause I can't find that option anywhere. I have all the boxes checked off like Denis posted. I get all the notification but now I'm stuck with a $70 bill cause my data went over by 1.3gb magically. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ap81 wrote:

You'd make sure your notifications are set as Dennis screen capped and others also explained. Then it'll block data at 100% and you reply yes to allow it to continue. So you're saying it was already set that way. It might have been a glitch. You could send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter and a rep could look into whether or not it was a glitch and if it should be working properly. You could likely get it credited then if you ask given what you're saying.
ap81 wrote:

My screen looks just like Dennis'. It's been that way for many moons. Probably since I got this plan last January. I've only received messages like the ones I posted. Nothing about buying more data. It must be a koodo glitch I guess? I'll take your advise Goran. 

Hey Ranjan, could you look at my account again and delete the $70 charge that I didn't approve,ask for or accept in any way? If not can you explain how this happened? I have my 2 toddlers as my witnesses.... I was driving when this was happening, not playing on my stupid phone accepting insane data fees in the hoop. 
I'll accept the fact that it could somehow be my fault that some app magically decided to use data at the worst possible time when I had no idea it was happening, BUT it should have been stopped on Koodo's end once my data plan was used up. I have shock free data and I'm a little bit in shock.