Koodo Community
Question

Data Charges while in the USA when data roaming is off

• 10 September 2019
  • 9 replies

It seems like every time I go to the USA recently, I get tagged with a $10 data roaming fee. I have the data roaming on my phone turned off, I only send and receive text messages, no pictures either. Koodo used to have great customer service when this happened, but last time I wasted 20 minutes on hold and after that they refused to give me a credit.

Am I the only one having this issue, or is this part of some larger Telus scam to screw people over?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I saw you mentioned you sent text while in the US?

If so, you were charged for those outgoing texts. It is $10 for 100 texts.
I wish that were the case, they charged $10 for he SMS and $10 for the data even though the usage report says 0.00 MB used
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I wish that were the case, they charged $10 for he SMS and $10 for the data even though the usage report says 0.00 MB used
So it was $20 total? If you think your data charge was wrong you need to contact them directly and dispute. You could send messages to their Facebook or setup a call back through their digital assistant. You could ask them detail about the charge also.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
How did you turn data roaming on your phone?

Did you turn main data off too?

DId you turn your phone off and on while in the US at anytime?
I have the same issue since I switched from Fido to Koodo last april. I always set data roaming to Off but since I'm with Koodo, as soon as I crossed the border something use 20 KB of data. I went to Virginia for a week last spring, I got charged roaming fee when I entered the US and nothing the rest of the week. Same thing happen last month. Last week-end, I did not take any chance and I switched all data to Off as I was still in Montreal. Again, when I crossed the border it triggered the data roaming! Koodo tells me to manually force my phone on the Koodo network to overcome this problem. This mean I can't receive call on my phone while I'm out of the country... I find this unacceptable. There is something wrong with Koodo. They blame my phone but it was not doing this on Fido network. I have a Samsung S8.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have the same issue since I switched from Fido to Koodo last april. I always set data roaming to Off but since I'm with Koodo, as soon as I crossed the border something use 20 KB of data. I went to Virginia for a week last spring, I got charged roaming fee when I entered the US and nothing the rest of the week. Same thing happen last month. Last week-end, I did not take any chance and I switched all data to Off as I was still in Montreal. Again, when I crossed the border it triggered the data roaming! Koodo tells me to manually force my phone on the Koodo network to overcome this problem. This mean I can't receive call on my phone while I'm out of the country... I find this unacceptable. There is something wrong with Koodo. They blame my phone but it was not doing this on Fido network. I have a Samsung S8.
Since you have a couple of incidences to evaluate, have you contacted koodo to look further into this?
I called them the 2nd time I've been charged 10$ for roam data fee. I explained the lady at Koodo what happen and she credited me the 10$ and she told me to put my phone in airplane mode the next time I cross the border. She said she will put a note in my account so they would not credit me the 10$ if it happen again. Last week-end, I wanted to be reached on my phone in case of emergency so I didn't want to put it in airplane mode and I switch all data to off. Went I saw I got charged again, I called koodo and explained the whole thing again and all he could do his suggest me to force the Koodo network on my phone. I credited me the 10$ once again. The 20kB data use happen at the exact moment that the phone connects to a US network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's an inconvenient situation, but there's nothing difficult about chosing Koodo as your provider rather than an automatic one in your network preferences. No airplane mode required. You won't miss any calls in Canada, but you will NOT be able to do any roaming, accidental or otherwise. When you do want to roam, just switch back to automatic. Takes under 30 seconds. If you just want to deal with calls and texts, you can turn mobile data off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I saw you mentioned you sent text while in the US?

If so, you were charged for those outgoing texts. It is $10 for 100 texts.

AFAIK, it's $10 for the first text, then the next 99 until your billing date are free, and then the $10 cycle starts all over again. For light users, consider dropping Easy Roam. it can be cheaper to pay-by-the-unit for text and minutes rather than hitting the $10 jackpot instantly by answering a 2 minute call.