Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Data charges on my mothers phone. She never used data because I've never turned it on for her. How can I stop this from happening?

I got my mother a phone so that she could join the new century and get rid of the house phone.She uses it for calling, texting, and facebook. I didn't put a data plan on the phone because she wouldn't have known what to do with it anyway. Well, I received the bill and I owe for data. This was surprising because I had set the data usage to OFF. It has never been ON ever. I really don't want to pay for the data charges. Please help.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
How's she using Facebook? It typically updates in the background. If she doesn't need Picture messaging, I'd recommend putting a Data Block on her line that way it'll be impossible to use Data unless on Wi-Fi.
Facebook is only used at home on Wi-Fi. All settings are, and have been, set to data off. Is a Data Block separate from these phone settings?
Userlevel 6
David Lang wrote:

Facebook is only used at home on Wi-Fi. All settings are, and have been, set to data off. Is a Da...

Yes it's on Self Serve in the Add-ons section.
David Lang wrote:

Facebook is only used at home on Wi-Fi. All settings are, and have been, set to data off. Is a Da...

If you do the data block you will not be able to receive or send text with pics.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David Lang wrote:

Please stay with your own topic, Cynthia: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/why_am_i_getting_data_charges This thread is a year old and you have got your own anyway 🙂
Just remove the APN settings, or change the apn settings to sp.koodo.com.xxx that way she will never be able to use mobile data, whether or not it is inadvertently turned on. (And, in the rare case that you would need to use data, you can just change back to sp.koodo.com)