Koodo Community

data charges

• 19 September 2020
  • 4 replies

I have spoken to a customer service rep. and was so disappointed with the answer. Al though not his problem i guess… I brought up to him that my husband and I had both gotten an extra $10.00 data charge on our bill, and was told it was because we went over.. I told him we do not turn on our data unless we need to view a mms that was sent to us in our text, and he said that is where it occurred cause  data gets used in the background when turned on… I said oh my god, we have to turn on the data to get the picture messages so how is this our fault it gets used, and we have been with koodo for several yrs now and never had this happened until a few months ago, and it was always on my husbands account and i didn’t know where it came from now it is happening on  mine.. 

You tell us it is unlimited talk, text and picture messaging.. so why do we even have to turn the data on to get the pictures in our text messages… not happy at all.. he also told me to get data blocker for an extra $3.00 month.. so i think this is as my husband says a ploy to get people to pay more after a certain amount of yrs as customers cause we get texts saying add data plans to our accounts…

:rage::rage::disappointed:

nim4165 1 year ago

Consider assessing your average data usage over the last couple of months and, if required,  adjusting your plan accordingly. Unfortunately,  if you prefer to keep using your MMS (which requires data usage) you may increase your plan’s allowable data to cover your data usage or pay for the $3/month add-on that will allow you to keep using MMS and block all other data usage. It does suck to start paying for a service that was given to you for free before.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately it is quite the catch 22. Best you can do is require updates over WiFi and manually not allow apps to use data. It costs practically  nothing to ensure data is blocked so its a money grab but its your options unfortunately: do your best via settings and only enable data when on WiFi or pay the 3 a month to get mms.

Userlevel 7

Consider assessing your average data usage over the last couple of months and, if required,  adjusting your plan accordingly. Unfortunately,  if you prefer to keep using your MMS (which requires data usage) you may increase your plan’s allowable data to cover your data usage or pay for the $3/month add-on that will allow you to keep using MMS and block all other data usage. It does suck to start paying for a service that was given to you for free before.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

"it occurred cause  data gets used in the background when turned on… I said oh my god, we have to turn on the data to get the picture messages so how is this our fault it gets used, "

I agree, it's not your fault. And it's not Koodo's fault neither. It's a phones and many apps that design to access to your data whenever they can.

Koodo raised this add-on's price in around  2016/2017 from free to $2. We all mobile masters against it.. But, they did.   

But, I have seen many posts that showing some/many  customers didn't get this charge increased back then.  So I believe they didn't apply  it for many old customers who has low data usage or some condition(?)

Either way they decided to increase to all customers this time.  You have option to keep it, so you don't need worry about any data leakage when you access MMS.  Or remove the add-on and set up your phone/apps not access to data when you use MMS.

We can also make some suggestions what would be the best for you. It's all depends on what's your usage like and needs/wants.

The facts are that Koodo appears to be set up to monetize elder abuse. They don’t care. They charge 130$ for a gigabyte of data in 2021. That’s criminal in my eyes. The only people that fall for this stuff are our grandparents. They’re abusing the elderly for a quick cash infusion.

There are numerous alternative services available that do not have these predatory measures. I almost signed up for Koodo today and realized how absolutely horrendous their data overage fees are and I’m now at the point where I’ll never give these scumbags a cent of my money and I will be going very far out of my way to shame this company.

They know that people like me will never sign up for their products, so they just advertise to the elderly, focus on the demographics that they can SCAM. Because yes, charging 130$ for a gigabyte of data in 2021 is a SCAM.