Koodo Community
Question

data charges

I do not have data plan on phone. I come home and use my wifi. 

I was using wifi and then 3 minutes  later I was charged for data and then a minute later I am not being charged but still on my wifi all this time. Why is this?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How is your phone setting?  
Is your data on/off?  Is your wifi assist on/off? 
You can access to data even if you don’t have a plan without data.

And what do you mean by “I was using wifi and then 3 minutes  later I was charged for data and then a minute later I am not ...”?  Where did you see this  change?

Data is off, wifi is on.

I come home from work and use my wifi at home.

My bill shows at 3:52pm data being used  .0034mb but no charge - I am home now using wifi.

At 3:55pm (still on wifi) I have used .0025mb and now I am charged $10.00

At 4:01pm used .0015mb - no charge . On wifi

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Data is off, wifi is on.

I come home from work and use my wifi at home.

My bill shows at 3:52pm data being used  .0034mb but no charge - I am home now using wifi.

At 3:55pm (still on wifi) I have used .0025mb and now I am charged $10.00

At 4:01pm used .0015mb - no charge . On wifi

Can you check your phone settings?  Those small amount could be some kind of data leakage on background. 

Settings >  Mobile data > data usage

Found a lot of apps that had permission to use mobile data even if it is turned off. So I restricted them.

It never use to be like this. I have had other cell phones before and never had any issues.

It seems that in the past couple of years all these companies are getting sneakier.

Here they charge $3/month for data block, with Virgin it's part of the plan. Not extra fee.

Will soon go back to Virgin

Thanks for your help Mayumi

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If your turned off Cellular/Mobile data in your phone, those “little amount” data usage could be from the network trying to refresh the connection. It shouldn’t be there.

I would suggest you contact Koodo directly and ask a rep to revert the charge. You could chat with a social media rep via facebook messaging https://www.facebook.com/Koodo or setup a callback with their digital assistant. You could also ask them about the datablock and see what they could do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Rmadej01

You mentioned you have a plan without data.  How much is it? Is it like $30 or $35 Talk &Text plan?

Koodo is offering prepaid plan too. And they have promo going on.  Some 

$30 plan give you unlimited talk & Texts and  500mb.  Plus bonus 500mb if you sign up for Auto top-up.

$40 plan including unlimited talk & Text and 1gb data. Plus bonus 500 mb if you sign up for Auto top up.

You can go back to Virgin. But there is more options to consider 😃

I have $35 talk and text.

So can I just switch to prepaid plan of $30.00

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have $35 talk and text.

So can I just switch to prepaid plan of $30.00

You need prepaid SIM card.

You can get it from Koodo. Or from Amazon or eBay ( check sellers reputation). Then activate it online. 

If you want to transfer/port your current number, then DO NOT cancel your service. Once you activate your prepaid, then you can port your number through self serve.

I would check all the options. Koodo's prepaid, virgin ( your original plan), virgin's prepaid and public mobile( I got it for my mother in law since 3G speed is ok for her😁). .. etc.

Or stay as is to keep postpaid/ monthly plan if you have a plan to buy a phone soon.

After checking all the options, then choose What is best for you.

Got ahold of koodo through messenger and got the issue resolved and was credited the 10.00 plus they added a feature to stop the problem