Koodo Community
Solved

Data charges

Userlevel 1
I received a bill with 200$ of data overage charges.
Friday I changed to a new phone and plan with more data.
Saturday evening within a 15 minute window I received numerous texts from Koodo regarding data usage. They were not in a logical order and came through in rapid succession. They started by saying I had used 50% of 600+mb of data, then 90% of 600+mb of data then 90% of 100mb of data, then 50% of 100mb of data, then 50% of 100mb of data then 90% of 100 mb of data, etc. Never once did they state I had reached 100%.. I was never asked to approve/request more data or overage.
A quick search of my history shows I rarely go over 100mb in a day and I've never gone over my 1gb in a month. This bill is showing I suddenly used 3400+mb in a single day, Saturday. It also shows the usage as even amounts of 90.00mb and 10.00mb over and over during that 15 min window. Usually my data shows more random numbers such as 38.61mb or 10.56mb. Sunday it shows no usage, no charges. Monday and Tuesday shows usage but no charges.
I was SHOCKED as I thought shock free data meant it would be paused, I would be notified of reaching 100% and I would have to approve for more data.
I tried contacting Koodo. The virtual assistant of course couldn't help and I requested a callback. The time for the call back came and went. It's been 2hrs and 10mins since by scheduled callback time. I've cancelled it and requested a new time for tomorrow. Hopefully I will get one. Any advice?
icon

Best answer by Alexandra_Koodo 28 June 2019, 21:58

Hello there! We'd love to help you out. We'd like to investigate what happened with the notifications. To better understand the situation we will need to check some account details. When you get a chance please send us a private message on Facebook so we could look into the issue with you https://m.me/Koodo
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi,
Regarding the callback issue, did you receive a text before call back time? I would suggest you check if you accidentally blocked Koodo number 1 (866) 995-6636. If you blocked it, text and call might not go through. You could also send message to their facebook https://www.facebook.com/Koodo and chat with an agent there.

About the data overage: What was the detail breakdown of the $200? I would check it in the detail PDF bill. Was it because you changed your plan in the middle of a billing cycle or was it because of the overage?. You could also check your notification and see if your notification was setup properly.

By CRTC regulation, they could not charge you more than $50 for data overage without your consent https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/limit.htm However, if you changed your plan in the middle of a cycle, your data limit might be reduced and you were charged extra because of that. Anyway, You could try to talk to an agent and see what they could do for you.
Userlevel 1
Thank you.

The number is not blocked. I did not receive a text. I will see if it happens again in the morning.
Can I contact through facebook if I do not have a facebook account?
When I changed my plan, we increased the data. Not because I needed more, it was just because of a promotion.
The details I posted were from the bill. It shows $7 charges over and over, sometimes multiple times a minute and only within the 15 minute window I had described.
Oddly, the text history doesn't show any texts sent or received that day either. It's as if there is some kind of mix up.
They definitely didn't receive consent from me for anything.
Thank you for the detailed response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You could create a dummy facebook account for the sake of contacting them, if you would like to do so.

If you had some difficulty in receiving callbacks, you could also try to setup a callback to a different number and see if that number can receive the call.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thank you.

The number is not blocked. I did not receive a text. I will see if it happens again in the morning.
Can I contact through facebook if I do not have a facebook account?
When I changed my plan, we increased the data. Not because I needed more, it was just because of a promotion.
The details I posted were from the bill. It shows $7 charges over and over, sometimes multiple times a minute and only within the 15 minute window I had described.
Oddly, the text history doesn't show any texts sent or received that day either. It's as if there is some kind of mix up.
They definitely didn't receive consent from me for anything.
Thank you for the detailed response.

If you didn't receive a text, then there's a problem with the number you entered for a callback. Or the system may have failed you. Not impossible, but so far it's user error when that happens
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Does it say that text alert/message at 50%, 90%, and 100%& pause?
Userlevel 1
Yes. They are all selected however, there is no 100% option. So I guess that explains why no 100% text but I thought before it goes into pay per use, It is supposed to be paused and I’m supposed to be asked.
it also says I’m supposed to receive texts for pay-per-use when it reaches $25, $50, $75, $100. I received nothing. Nor did I authorize pay per use. At no time was my data paused either. And my settings says it should be.
the remaining days in the billing cycle we’re not charged for data usage. If it was over data the one day, should it not have been over data until the new billing cycle?
Userlevel 1
I have a screenshot of the call back request and my number is correct
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Can you post screenshot of data alert setting without phone number?
It should looks like this.
Also, do you remember that you did unchecked 100% notification &pause in the past?

Userlevel 3
Hello there! We'd love to help you out. We'd like to investigate what happened with the notifications. To better understand the situation we will need to check some account details. When you get a chance please send us a private message on Facebook so we could look into the issue with you https://m.me/Koodo
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A screenshot of your bill regarding the plan change and the resulting overages would be helpful too.

I really do think that DInh is right with the charges being proration of your data bucket when you changed plans mid cycle.

What was the data on your old and new plan? How much data was used during that billing cycle. What is your billing cycle and when did you change your plan?
Userlevel 1
All sorted thanks. Got a callback today. They aren’t sure what happened but it’s been sorted anyway.