Koodo Community
Solved

Data Block Fee Increased

• 14 September 2020
  • 26 replies

Why did the data block fee increase from $2.00/month to $3.00/month? No notice that it was increasing...

icon

Best answer by Bernard Koodo 14 September 2020, 20:04

@ginagee As per Mayumi above an email was also sent to the email address we have on file. The below was the content included:

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Check your last month PDF Ebill. I know the notification wasn’t  on the front of page. But they said the notification on the bill, and also email was sent out.

See this post:
https://community.koodomobile.com/billing-66726/data-block-price-increase-7799904?postid=19864521#post19864521

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@ginagee As per Mayumi above an email was also sent to the email address we have on file. The below was the content included:

Thank you! 

I just went back and looked at my August bill and found the notice at the bottom.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you! 

I just went back and looked at my August bill and found the notice at the bottom.

It would be better this kind of notification was placed on the top.

Userlevel 7

Use this increase as an opportunity to avoid paying for this service. You can avoid using and paying for koodo’s Data Block altogether by setting your cell phone and disable ‘Mobile Data’. Once you disable ‘Mobile Data’ on your phone you can remove the ‘Block Data’ add on using your self serve account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Use this increase as an opportunity to avoid paying for this service. You can avoid using and paying for koodo’s Data Block altogether by setting your cell phone and disable ‘Mobile Data’. Once you disable ‘Mobile Data’ on your phone you can remove the ‘Block Data’ add on using your self serve account.

Well, if customers disable Mobile (cellular) data, they wouldn’t be able to send/receive MMS (photo messaging). It could be an issue later.

Userlevel 7

I assume that customers who chose the add on in the first place, were not interested in such features like photo messaging. Can a customer that currently have koodo’s Data Block add-on enabled, use photo messaging?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I assume that customers who chose the add on in the first place, were not interested in such features like photo messaging. Can a customer that currently have koodo’s Data Block add-on enabled, use photo messaging?

Many customers are actually sending/receiving photos via MMS. The original purpose of the block was to do that - blocking all data except MMS. Otherwise, they could tell customer to disable mobile data (simple and easy).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just a note: Disabling data won't prevent 100% of data leakage and usage from apps update on the background...etc.  And when they enable data for MMS, leakage could happen.

Some(many) people still getting charge for data usage because of it.        It depends on what phone people have and they have to set up their phone to prevent any data usage.

Userlevel 7

So mobile data block still allows ‘light’ users to use SMS but does not allow use of MMS (with associated media). My point is that ‘light’ users who do not normally use data-heavy apps, can use their phone setting to block use of mobile data in any application. Obviously, people who wish to use text+ media/data applications like MMS should consider paying for the add-on.

Badge +4

When sending or receiving an MMS message, data is needed. With an open data connection, some apps take advantage of this, (e.g. location service updates, push notifications, etc.) resulting in data charges. The data block, as Dinh explained, solves this issue by allowing MMS messages to be sent and received without incurring charges for data usage.

Userlevel 7

Are you telling me that somebody using  a basic phone (a flip phone) for talk and SMS only needs to worry about data charges (due to your system location services updates) and requires YOUR $ add-on to block this data ‘leaks’. If this is true, some regulatory agency like the CRTC needs to be involved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Go ahead, involve. But fact is that everyone before you is correct: that was the reason of the data block: to allow customers to send MMS messages without using data (or at least without being charged for it). The fact that Koodo chose to charge money for it and now increase that fee is not making anyone happy for sure, but as has been pointed out many times, there are alternatives so I doubt very much the CRTC will be interested in the slightest.

I don’t recall anyone mentioning a flip phone, which is an entirely different situation altogether.

Userlevel 7

The point I was trying to make is that customers who disable mobile data at their phone, should not see data charges due to koodo network activities (e.g. system location services updates per @rikkster ). Paying for data ‘leaks’ due to the way you operate, are already paid by the customer via the monthly fees. If you are charging customers, who block their Mobile Data, extra for your data ‘leaks’ via mobile data charges, it must be of interest to one of the agency that regulates koodo’s operation. The flip phone was mentioned by a customer who pays for her old father’s phone and was surprised to see the new $3 charge for his flip phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You are brand new to Koodo and this community, so you might not be aware that the data block has always been a (voluntary) add-on. It was never put in place by Koodo and they have no way of knowing whether the customer has a flip phone and thus not even needing this add-on.

Now we could definitely argue about the way they introduced this new fee/increase (depending on how long ago the customer added this feature), but it has always been the choice of the customer to have this data block, as a convenience and service to them. It’s just that Koodo started charging for it lately.

Userlevel 7

My last comment on this subject.  Being new does not mean that I am dumb. Now that the data block add-on is not free, why should a customer who makes a very basic use of his/her phone (calls, SMS) and uses no apps requiring data, have to worry (and pay mobile data charges) about system operational data ‘leaks’ that should have been covered by the monthly fees?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That is why they have the ability to remove this data block add-on, if it doesn’t apply to them. We have even seen that Koodo has reversed the charge when the customer contacted them saying they have no need for this add-on (but probably added it years ago “just because” and it was free at the time).

They still have all the options open such as to pay the $3 (if they still want it), remove the add-on (if not needed) or go with another plan (prepaid, which doesn’t need a data block). I truly don’t understand what the issue is here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Data leaks happened  when you open up your data for MMS. Phone these days  already loaded with many apps and trying to update on the background.   Data block add-on prevent extra charge caused by them. 

This is just one example of my OS using data on back ground. Im restricted many apps to use data on background. But,even calendar, weather, files... so many apps are trying to use data.   Add-on prevent to get charge for it. If you don't need it, then you don't have to use it. Just make sure adjust phone setting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The point I was trying to make is that customers who disable mobile data at their phone, should not see data charges due to koodo network activities (e.g. system location services updates per @rikkster ). Paying for data ‘leaks’ due to the way you operate, are already paid by the customer via the monthly fees. If you are charging customers, who block their Mobile Data, extra for your data ‘leaks’ via mobile data charges, it must be of interest to one of the agency that regulates koodo’s operation. The flip phone was mentioned by a customer who pays for her old father’s phone and was surprised to see the new $3 charge for his flip phone.

Yes, they shouldn’t see anything data charge if they disable mobile data in the phone. If customers see any little amount (under 0.10MB) in the data usage, Koodo will likely credit customers back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@nim4165 We are not the OEMs of the phones that create the issue. Despite this, we have taken several steps to protect customers.  All plans do come with a built-in 250kb data buffer, more than enough to account for accidental “leakages”. Anything past that is controllable by users. Ensuring they take proper steps to minimize data flow on their devices.  Some people still want to be able to send pictures to friends and family which does require the “data pipe” to be open. For those the service we offer is data block. Allows sending pictures without having to worry about using data. 

Badge +4

I think your dispute is with phone manufacturers and app developers, not with Koodo. Some apps request location services in the background. Many apps allow for background data usage, (see Mayumi’s screenshot). Apps using mobile data in the foreground/background is technically out of Koodo’s control. Disabling mobile data is not enough. 

Disabling mobile data AND apps that use mobile data in the background is one way to minimize data usage and even then, a trickle of data can still get through when sending/receiving an MMS message. The data block ultimately solves this issue. 

Userlevel 7

Finally got an answer from @Bernard Koodo ‘All plans do come with a built-in 250kb data buffer, more than enough to account for accidental “leakages”’ Thank y’all

Here’s my question: if I signed up when Data block was free and it has now increased from $2 to $3, how did it get from “free” to $2 without me being notified OR INVOICED at that time?  I’ve always had Data turned OFF on the phone and since I travel internationally (or did until this year!) never wanted to take the chance that I might get dinged for some gynormous data consumption (having read the horror stories of some folks suddenly getting hundred or even thousand dollar bills).  Seems strange for Koodo to “grandfather” the free block when they started charging $2 but then get the old cash register running at the $3/month level.  

Bernard Koodo…. any comment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Here’s my question: if I signed up when Data block was free and it has now increased from $2 to $3, how did it get from “free” to $2 without me being notified OR INVOICED at that time?  I’ve always had Data turned OFF on the phone and since I travel internationally (or did until this year!) never wanted to take the chance that I might get dinged for some gynormous data consumption (having read the horror stories of some folks suddenly getting hundred or even thousand dollar bills).  Seems strange for Koodo to “grandfather” the free block when they started charging $2 but then get the old cash register running at the $3/month level.  

Bernard Koodo…. any comment?

I'm not Bernard...  but..

When they increased this datablock add-on fee from free to $2, it was much easier to control setting up your phone to prevent data leakage. 

If you already had this add-on,then I believe Koodo didn't increase it as a "grandfathered". But If you didn't have it before increase, or removed it once but wanted re-aply, then they charged you $2/mo for it.

Now, phone technology is so much different than back then. When you buy a phone, it already loaded with so many apps. It's not so easy to prevent data leakage anymore.  Every time you use/open data when you send MMS, so many apps try to access/grab your data and leakage happenes. And it's not Koodo fault. 

That's why I believe they decided to increase the fee to $3. And it's for evey customers including customers who had "free" data block this time.

You still have choice to remove it if you don't want it especially you have an old phone or you can control data leakage.  This is just my two cents. ( I know there is no more cents 😁)

Well I sort of figured out that was the explanation but I wanted them to tell me directly so I could make the point that not everyone looks at their monthly bill and so would never see the “almost hidden” small print at the end.  I receive my bill by text message and since I never go over on minutes and texts are unlimited there is never a reason to look at the monthly in detail.   And, like some others have mentioned, I never received an email about the change neither.  Thus...no notice about the change in policy.  I have had data turned “OFF” on my phone (iPhone 8) since I got it and just went through and turned OFF all of the apps under “System Services” as well.  I’ve been waiting for the “30 minute call back” for over an hour now.

Thanks for your quick response: