Koodo Community

Community

Data add-ons

Userlevel 6
Data add-ons with Koodo...
Currently, Koodo offers add-ons for long distance and overseas calling, yet Virgin Mobile offers data add-ons (which can be added without requiring a base plan change).
Virgin Mobile offers:
  1. 200 MB add-on for $7 (not so attractive, but anyone can add this anytime)
  2. 1 GB add-on for $20 (cannot be combined with loyalty data add-ons, but anyone can add this)
  3. 1 GB add-on for $2 (loyalty add-on, I think requires at least 1 GB in base plan, but can't confirm)
  4. 2 GB add-on for $5 (loyalty add-on, requires base plan of at least 2 GB, cannot be combined with the 1 GB for $2)
It's possible that they offer other add-ons, and these can change anytime (and customers who have them can keep them as long as their base plan meets the requirements, if any).
I'm using QC plans as an example since that's what I have access to.
This means the $35 QC base plan with unlimited talk/SMS/1GB data offered by Koodo would translate to +$2 on Virgin = $37 and you have unlimited talk/text/2GB data total. Bump that up on a silver/gold/platinum (like a tab small/medium/large).
Would be cool if Koodo Mobile were to offer something like this. It'd be a great way of keeping existing customers happy.

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Shock free data plans have a 100mb and 1gb add-on option once you reach your data limit.
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

Shock free data plans have a 100mb and 1gb add-on option once you reach your data limit.

But you can only add them whenever you reach your data limit, and only for the rest of the billing cycle, right? Would be sweet to have data add-ons to keep long term, like $2-5 for 1 or 2 GB add-on for loyal customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Right!

Koodo does not seem like a loyalty brand based on their offerings.  Public does discounts for years of service.  I would like to see a PM style loyalty offering
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Koodo also offers $10 for 300MB. With the link to the "site" to add these add ons you may be able to add them before you reach 100%. Haven't tried because i dont actually need the extra data atm. I remember a few months back someone had a 500MB add on for $5 so it is possible. https://community.koodomobile.com/koo...
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

A PM style loyalty offering where long-term customers are automatically rewarded with pre-calculated discounts is not a bad thing.
500 MB add-on for $3 is not too shabby.
Perhaps we can see more scenario-specific perks? Say Koodo were to offer a 1GB data add-on for $0 for those porting in from Rogers/Fido/Bell/Virgin/Freedom/Vidéotron/Chatr? Could bring over a lot more customers to the Koodo brand. I know PM has a special deal for those porting in from Freedom.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

But then "loyal customers" get the short end of the stick
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

Since Koodo does offer post-paid, loyalty could in theory match the new acquisition offer exclusive to certain port-in conditions...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

So, what's in it for me, titaniumtux?

(I'm a shareholder)

Userlevel 4
Dennis wrote:

@David
When Koodo Customers will start to leave for Virgin, Fido or even its sister company Public Mobile then you should ask @titaniumtux what's in it for me as a shareholder.
Userlevel 4
Dennis wrote:

@David
When Koodo Customers will start to leave for Virgin, Fido or even its sister company Public Mobile then you should ask @titaniumtux what's in it for me as a shareholder.
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

@David
Gaining and retaining market share is good for shareholders.
I understand that carriers collect more when subscribers go on more expensive plans or incur overage charges, but eventually they'll get sick of their carrier and start exploring alternatives (even if not all alternatives are much better), and port out, and probably never return...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Until there's a trend that develops that shows a noticeable trend of customer leaving (fact based numbers), a stakeholder would not want the company to devalue it's product until there is evidence that it is needed to retain marketshare, or a strong belief that the strategy will increase marketshare and increase profits.  The latter is definitely a risk when the status quo is currently desirable.  This is why you see new entrants rock the boat more in this regard compared to incumbants
Userlevel 4
Dennis wrote:

@Dennis

I agree with you. Especially with your last statement. Our sister company Public Mobile really "rock the boat" recently. They have gained so many new Users lately almost crashing their on line Customer Service Department.

Thanks goodness for those who want to save some buck, PM don't have to worry about devaluating their brand. That is where their strength is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

@titaniumtux:
Two Polish brothers arrive in America after a life time of poverty. With the little money they saved up they decided to open a business selling watermellons.
With a total of 1000.00 they decided to buy a used truck valued at 900.00. With the remaining hundred they buy 100 watermelons.
Next day they decide to drive to their local city. They park the truck in front of a busy building and post a sign: Fresh Watermelons $1.00 each.
They sell out in one hour.
When they arrived home one of the brother's counts the money.  "Hey wait a minute we made no profit we have what we started with"
The other brother says, "I know what we did wrong"
What we do wrong?" asks  the brother
"We needed to buy a bigger truck"

source: http://www.jokebuddha.com/Watermelons#ixzz4mkK5ZVmO

These guys may have cornered the market, and even may have had 100% market share!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

@ Jan Hope
"When Koodo Customers will start to leave for Virgin, Fido or even its sister company Public Mobile then you should ask @titaniumtux what's in it for me as a shareholder."

Them leaving for Public Mobile does not bother me.  Koodo consistently ranks highest in Customer Satisfaction & has the least churn of the second-tier brands. Not too worried yet.

Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

@David: love the joke!

Jokes aside though, Koodo still earns a mark-up even on region-specific plans (for MB/SK/QC), and they still don't have 100% market share.
Koodo can offer far more competitive deals (port-in exclusive plans, loyalty data add-ons, etc.).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Without reviewing Koodo's financial records, I would be unable to determine Koodo's profit in MB, SK and QC. Can you share your insight?

Userlevel 4
Dennis wrote:

@titaniumtux

I love this Story, too.  No wonder they call him @David (Champion). He is a tough cookie.

The whole morale of this Story is that without increasing market share you can still make decent profit.

@David (Champion)
I am not promoting here Virgin, Fido or even Public Mobile what I am saying here is that there is still choice there for those who always looking for great savings and not necessary big name brands and maybe good ratings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

@Jan Hope said: "The whole morale of this Story is that without increasing market share you can still make decent profit."

No, the moral of the story is that even if you corner the market, you have to have sufficient markup on your product to make a profit.  Our Polish friends are actually in a deficit position, as they have not yet paid for the license,  insurance & gas for the truck, nor the cost to paint their (advertising) sign.

See how difficult it is to actually run a business?

Userlevel 4
Dennis wrote:

@David
To the certain degree I agree with you. But I wanted to make it as simple as possible. You can check my previous posts. I never insisted that Telus/Koodo/PM should have the same pricing. Everybody has different needs and wallets. 

We can debate it from a business or economical point of view but not here on this forum. Maybe somewhere at the restaurant with a coffee or in the park or any place convenient for debates. After all we are all users here that help other users to solve their problems not to teach them economy.
Userlevel 4
@titaniumtux

Different data add-ons would be a good idea from competitive point of view but even extending usage or allowing roll-over of this 1gb add-on option, once you have reached your data limit, to another billing cycle would be first good step in the right direction.
Userlevel 6
Jan Hope wrote:

@titaniumtux

Different dat...

Roll-over data wouldn't be a bad idea.
I know PC Mobile and Rogers wireless (for small business, not sure about consumer) do tiered data billing, meaning if you use 4 GB, you're on the 4 GB plan for that billing cycle. If you use 8 GB, you're on the 8 GB plan for that billing cycle, etc. It's good for those who would use different amounts of data from one month to the next, instead of agreeing to pay the carrier for a certain plan that they may exceed only half the time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jan Hope wrote:

@titaniumtux

Different dat...

Prepaid has roll over data and minutes 🙂
Userlevel 6
Jan Hope wrote:

@titaniumtux

Different dat...

I know that even not many prepaid brands do rollover data, so that's a cool feat. for Koodo's brand.
However, most people are on postpaid so they can put phones on a tab, get personalized and region-specific offers, etc.
Userlevel 4
Jan Hope wrote:

@titaniumtux

Different dat...

@Dennis
Actually we are all on Prepaid Plans ( that what is "prorated" means) but with credit or without (that what is "postpaid" means)