Koodo Community
Solved

Confusion and/or Changing rate plan with tab bonus

• 21 November 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

I recently upgraded to the new Pixel 5 at a BestBuy kiosk (in Alberta), coming from an old PM-to-Koodo plan and a BYOD Samsung Galaxy S7. I’m rusty and a little confused on the Tab levels and specifically trying to answer i) What is my current Tab level; ii) what rate plan could I change (read:downgrade) to so that I remain on an eligible Tab?

The latter is important to me because I felt like the BB rep was not forthright with me and upcharged me to a plan I didn’t necessarily need or want. I was previously on a $40/mo 11GB plan (6GB + 5GB Freedom promo counteroffer). I was told my only choice was to select a $50/mo plan to get the phone with $0 down. That plan is also showing up as $60/mo on Self Serve. The rep told me a $10/mo discount would appear automatically without giving this to me in writing, and nothing of the sorts is showing up on Self Serve. I am not interested in paying extra if I don't need to, and I was told this was the only plan I could select despite arguing I didn’t care about more data and would prefer to pay less than that as long as I could to qualify for the $0 down offer. I understand I need to get on a tab to get the phone with $0 upfront, but I'm trying to find out if the rep was dishonest by telling me this was my only option.

As far I as I understand, and whether I’ve been misled or not, I’m on the hook for at least a month until I can change to another rate plan in the next billing cycle. So for that I’m trying to understand what plan or price point I can downgrade to to remain eligible for my tab bonus, and what tab level would that be? If I can get an answer on the $50 vs $60 amount on Self Serve too, that would be stellar.

I hope that was clear enough, thank you any and all for your help!

P.S. Just found out I have to wait 90 days to pay off my tab balance? Why is that?

icon

Best answer by rikkster 21 November 2020, 23:30

@JayDog Okay, so it sounds like you’re an existing Koodo customer upgrading your Galaxy S7 to the Pixel 5. (I misread the Freedom part, thank you for clarifying this). Since the $40/mo 11GB plan is not an in-market plan, the BB rep chose a plan that is a near match to the data allotment you had previously.

Purchasing outright might have been the better option as this would have allowed you to keep your existing $40/mo 11GB plan. Since both phones use a nanoSIM card, it would just be a matter of removing the SIM card from the S7 and inserting it in the Pixel 5.

The $45 plan gives you 4GB of data, you did mention that you did not need as much data, so this plan should fit the bill. 

The 90-day restriction seems somewhat fair. Koodo can’t possibly know that you or I will stay the course based on just our word alone.

Thank you for sharing your documentation and the BB location. This may prove helpful should an official Koodo rep decide to look into this matter. I’m still not aware of the $10/month discount. Perhaps this is an in-store discount in your area, as Mayumi suggested. Keep us posted on your findings.

View original

10 replies

Badge +4

Plans start from $45/month for the Pixel 5, ($0 down, Tab Plus). The $45 plan includes 2GB of data plus a promotional 2 GB of data - 4 GB total.  I’m not aware of a $10/month discount.

Given your previous plan with Freedom, I think the BB rep was trying to match data allotments with either the $50 or $60 plans. Tab Plus is the only tab option for the Pixel 5 if you’re looking for $0 down.

Google Pixel 5 - Tab Plus

Koodo Mobile | Plans

I think the 90-day restriction is in place to curtail carrier hopping. If you decide to pay off your tab balance or make a plan change after 90 days, you’ll have to pay the remainder of the Tab Bonus; $420 (after 90 days, approx. $367.50). The Tab Bonus is built-in to the Tab and reduces the cost of the phone.

Koodo | Tab Bonus

Does your Customer Service Agreement (CSA) show you which plan you signed up for? Wondering if there’s a discrepancy between the CSA and self-serve.

Viewing and downloading your Customer Service Agreements

Which Best Buy location did you visit? (This may be of interest to an official Koodo rep)

Userlevel 1

@rikkster Thank you for the Tab Plus clarification!

To clarify the carrier thing, I wasn’t on Freedom. I was formerly on Public, migrated over to Koodo with a $40/mo 6GB plan and recently called customer service to get a 5GB retention bonus when Freedom was offering  people to switch from Koodo/Telus to Freedom with a $35/11GB promotional offer (Western Canada specific offer). I stayed with Koodo and had a new $40/mo 11GB plan.

As for the 90-day thing; I’m not looking to hop carrier but only pay off my tab to reduce my monthly bill. I saved the money to buy the phone outright but took advantage of the promos. This link - https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/everything-you-need-to-know-about-tab states I need to wait 90 days without offering an explanation as to why so I don’t understand why I can’t just go and pay my tab outright immediately. I understand I need to stay with Koodo for the 2 years and within a Tab Plus plan to keep from paying my tab credit. Thank you!

Lastly, the CSA only gives me the below information about my plan. Also attached my Self Serve Rate Plan info. The plan says $60/mo + 17.92 tab charge. I was told it would be $50 +$17.92 after some unspecified $10/mo promo (ends after 2 years). I asked the rep to please have this in writing and they only wrote it with pen on my CSA copy so there’s not much of a trail and my only alternative is to wait & see my next bill I guess?

It’s a great plan mind you, but I’m more interested in keeping my bill down as now I'm paying an extra $10 (+ $17.92) which negates some of the savings I got in the promo. This is where I don’t understand if the CSR mislead me into a higher priced plan than I didn’t need and didn’t offer any other options for me to select. This was at the Shawnessy Towne Centre in Calgary, AB.

Thanks again for your help @rikkster and the community!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The credit normally doesn’t show up in the CSA. It only shows in the billing area. I would suggest you download the PDF bill. Normally the page 3 (or 4) had the summary and information of it.

Regarding the plan change, Tab Plus and Tab Mid start at $45 as of now BUT be careful with it. Some credit might drop if you change your plan. You could lose the $10/month in some cases. I would suggest you contact a Koodo rep directly to confirm if you had the intention to do so. .

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Tab plus plans start from $45/month for the Pixel 5 if you want $0 down as Rikkster said.  

So, they could recommend you $45/mo plan.  But, I’m also thinking it’s because you had  11GB of data in your previous  plan, they wanted you have a plan with similar data allotment since data overage is so expensive ( over $20 for 1GB!).                                                                                        I guess they should ask you how much data you need every month before they pick a plan for you. But, your current plan is better than current promo plans that Koodo is offering. (price and data amount wise). I also wasn’t aware of a $10/month discount. So, those plan and discounts were in store promotion...?

What is your data usage like every month?                            If you don’t need 12GB, 11GB or even 6GB… then you could downgrade your plan within Tab plus plans.   (You don’t need to pay off your tab to change your plan within same Tab size )

Userlevel 1

@Dinh I haven’t had a billing cycle yet, this is fresh  upgrade/plan as of yesterday, so I’ll have to check once I get a bill. And yes, after reading other questions on the forum I’m aware that I may lose out on some benefits and Tab bonus if I switch to a different Tab level. It’s not my intention to change level but mostly reduce my monthly bill with a cheaper Tab Plus plan.

@Mayumi Perhaps it was an in-store promotion/discount but it’s hard for me to verify unless I go back into the store for clarification.  Could an in-store discount be the reason why it may not show up on Self Serve or the CSA? My data usage is currently very low since I’m working from home, but pre-COVID my usage was closer to 6GB. 

I’m going to call in for some more information regarding the 90-day Tab payment thing, as well as trying to get some certainty around the unmarked promos I received from the CSR at BestBuy.

Badge +4

@JayDog Okay, so it sounds like you’re an existing Koodo customer upgrading your Galaxy S7 to the Pixel 5. (I misread the Freedom part, thank you for clarifying this). Since the $40/mo 11GB plan is not an in-market plan, the BB rep chose a plan that is a near match to the data allotment you had previously.

Purchasing outright might have been the better option as this would have allowed you to keep your existing $40/mo 11GB plan. Since both phones use a nanoSIM card, it would just be a matter of removing the SIM card from the S7 and inserting it in the Pixel 5.

The $45 plan gives you 4GB of data, you did mention that you did not need as much data, so this plan should fit the bill. 

The 90-day restriction seems somewhat fair. Koodo can’t possibly know that you or I will stay the course based on just our word alone.

Thank you for sharing your documentation and the BB location. This may prove helpful should an official Koodo rep decide to look into this matter. I’m still not aware of the $10/month discount. Perhaps this is an in-store discount in your area, as Mayumi suggested. Keep us posted on your findings.

Userlevel 1

@rikkster thank you for your reply. I may have come out ahead in the long run if I had stuck with my plan but I was enticed by the $200 gift card I also received from BB. That being said; if the plan I was signed up for is truly $50 (rate plan) + $17.92 (tab) then I end up saving $100 to $200 off the phone’s price after the 2 year tab bonus is ‘paid’ off (100 or 200 if I would have bought outright from Google vs Koodo).

I’m waiting for a callback to discuss the rate plan I was offered vs what is in my CSA/rate plan page and will provide a follow-up. Thanks everyone for your help!

Userlevel 1

@rikkster So the $10/mo promo is some sort of in-store or loyalty discount and is noted on the CSR end so the system shows that i have a $10/mo discount for 24 months. That gives me peace of mind and answers that question.

The other follow-up question I had was about paying off my tab balance after the 90 days. The CSR told me I couldn’t do so without having to then pay off my Tab Bonus/Credit. The alternative was to put some sort of partial deposit which seems odd. Another user on the forum asked this same question 2 months ago and was told that that shouldn’t be the case and should be able to pay off the tab balance in full without a penalty on the remaining bonus/credit. I was wondering if you would also have information or a clear answer on this. I just want to pay off my Tab Balance and then stay on the plan as-is until the tab bonus runs its course.

Thanks again for your help!

Badge +4

You’re welcome and I’m glad to hear the $10/mo promo has been resolved.

In the other post, the customer was not too concerned about waiting 90 days to pay the Tab off in full. A little different from your question, where you wanted to know why you couldn’t pay the Tab off in full before the 90-day period had elapsed.

In that case, yes, you should be able to pay off the Tab in full after 90 days without penalty, provided you do not cancel, upgrade or change to an ineligible rate plan before 24 months.

An excerpt from; Everything you need to know about the Tab. “You have the option to pay off your Tab balance in full before it reaches $0, but before you can pay off your Tab Balance, you'll need to wait for at least 90 days after you sign up for a Tab. If you pay off your Tab balance but still have a remaining Tab Bonus balance, it will continue to go down each month until it reaches $0 after 24 months”.

This is a similar response to what the Koodo rep said in the other post. 

Tab Bonus and paying off Tab early

An interesting read by Mobile Syrup on why Koodo had to make changes to their Tab system.

Mobile Syrup | Koodo

Userlevel 1

@rikkster  thanks for that link! 

@Mayumi

@Dinh

Thank you all for your time and help! I think I'm good to go now and you've answered all my questions!