Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Charged for airtime overage on unlimited plan??

I have about had it with Koodo. I have had nothing but problems with them, and I have only been with them for three months!!

Last month, I had issues regarding the amount of minutes in my plan, and Koodo recommended that I switch to the unlimited plan to avoid any other errors. Okay, fine. My cycle started on March 12th, and on March 22nd, I upgraded to the unlimited plan. I previously had the $40/month 500 minute plan, and from the 12th to the 22nd, I did not even come close to going over that limit. The 500 minutes on my plan were for the entire month, not to be divided weeke-by-week or day-by-day

On my current bill (March 12th to April 11th), I am being charged $61.00 in overage airtime fees!! This is ridiculous! I upgraded to the unlimited plan (like Koodo said to) to avoid this happening again!

My other phone is currently with Fido, and I upgraded to their unlimited plan as well, and I had zero overage charges. Just the standard plan that I had upgraded to, like it should be.

How do I go about disputing these charges? Koodo has been overcharging me at every single turn, and I'm fed up with it.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Stephanie, When did you make the change? Typically minutes are divided in the portion of time you had the plan. So if you had the 500 minute plan for 2 weeks, then you would of had 250 minutes. If you made 400 minutes of calls during the first two weeks, then you would of been charged for 150 extra minutes
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Stephanie, When did you make the change? Typically minutes are divided in the portion of time ...

It is would HAVE, not what you wrote.
The minutes should not be divided, as I do not pay for 125 minutes per week, I pay for 500 minutes for the whole month, to use whenever I may need them. I was not charged these outrageous fees with Fido (which I can prove), so why on earth would Koodo charge them? To drive away customers??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Stephanie Carolyn wrote:

The minutes should not be divided, as I do not pay for 125 minutes per week, I pay for 500 minute...

All carriers do this. It is called proration. Because you only kept the plan for 10 days you only pay, and get usage for 10 days.

This is all said in Koodo's Service Terms:
"If you change your rate plan or features during your billing cycle, the corresponding charges will be applied for the portion of the month during which the new rate plan or feature was active on your account."

Same goes with Fido:
http://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/partial-prorated-charges
Stephanie Carolyn wrote:

The minutes should not be divided, as I do not pay for 125 minutes per week, I pay for 500 minute...

So, by me doing what I was told to do and changing my plan, and by giving them $15 more every single month, they are taking advantage of the fact that I changed the plan and charging me even more?? What a horrible, horrible thing to do.

As for with Fido, I changed my plan well into the month, and had used more minutes than with my Koodo account, and still didn't get these charges.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Stephanie Carolyn wrote:

They aren't taking advantage as your aren't paying the full $40 for the month. Because of this, you don't get the full usage amounts for the month either.

With Fido, you may have used more minutes but had them covered in the partial amount you had remaining. As shown above, Fido preforms the same practice of proration.
Stephanie Carolyn wrote:

So if I am only using 10 days of my $40 plan, then I should be charged the $13.33, as that is equal to the days that I used, not this $61 crap. I was also charged a $10 upgrade fee in addition to the overage fees. This is ridiculous! They are charging me to give them more money!!
Userlevel 6
Stephanie Carolyn wrote:

I obviously can't see your invoice, but if you switched plans 10 days in and used MORE than the 10 day divided portion BEFORE you switched, you will be charged overages. You will only be charged 10 days worth of your monthly fee for that plan, but you also only get 10 days worth of the monthly airtime for that plan. TL:DR You don't get to use 500 mins in the first ten days, you only get to use the divided portion of the 500 minute total, which is why you only get charged a portion of your monthly charge..... Unless you go over. Let's say it's 20 minutes. If you used 10 minutes before you switched, then you won't incur any extra charges. If you used 30 mins, you will. All carriers are the same in this regard.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Stephanie Carolyn wrote:

You would have been charged $13.33 for the days on the plan, then $61 for the usage that you went over on. You shouldn't have gotten charged $10 for upgrading unless you got a Koodo rep to do it for you.