Koodo Community
Question

charge for data block with picture message. I have no data on my phone and never had for years

• 13 September 2020
  • 13 replies

My last bill has a 3.00 charge for data block with picture message.

I have never had a data plan of any kind on my phone.

What is this charge for when I have a 0 data plan?

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Check your self serve account to make sure that this was not added by mistake. If there is a data block add on, remove it. If there isn’t one, contact koodo chat for explanation and reversal of charge.  Good luck!

Userlevel 5

My last bill has a 3.00 charge for data block with picture message.

I have never had a data plan of any kind on my phone.

What is this charge for when I have a 0 data plan?

This is because you have the add-on for data block with picture message. There was a recent increase in the cost of this service. https://community.koodomobile.com/plans-add-ons-66722/why-is-my-no-data-charge-increasing-does-it-cost-you-more-to-supply-the-service-but-wait-i-m-paying-you-to-not-supply-the-service-how-can-it-cost-you-more-7799921

If you don’t want the service anymore, you can simply remove it on your Self Serve account. 

Userlevel 7

Forgot to add: As a 2nd line of defense (against inadvertent use of mobile data), you should disable ‘Mobile Data’ on your phone (Setting, Network, Mobile Data).

I have  flip phone and my plan does not have any data. It is a very old plan.

How can I get inadvertent data with no data plan at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You shouldn’t have an issue with a flip phone using data, so you can just remove the add-on.

How much are you playing for your plan? You could consider moving over to prepaid, they offer 150 minutes /unlimited texting for $15 or unlimited calling/texting for $25… just a suggestion.

Userlevel 7

Just a reminder. If you do not have the data block ‘add on’ on you self serve account, contact koodo to provide an explanation and reverse the charges. Please update the community members afterwards so that they can benefit from your experience.

Sophia

My plan is from 2012 and never had data. I have an LG flip phone.

I get 300 anytime free minutes and after 6 and weekends are free.

When not in use, it is turned off as only used occasionally or for emergencies.

All incoming calls are free as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Dutchman, you might want to check out Public Mobile. They charge $13 (with auto renewal) for 150 outgoing Canada wide minutes, unlimited incoming and additional minutes are just 1ct/minute.

Or their $23 (again with auto renewal) offers truly unlimited calling (both incoming and outgoing).

I mean if you are happy with your current plan you should stay (and you haven’t mentioned how much you pay for it), but we’re just trying to help you get the most and pay the least :grinning:

Just an update.

They have removed the data block and issued me a credit for the $3.00.

Now to see what is available as an option to what I have now.

Thanks to all for your help and stay safe

I have the identical problem.  It seems, with the price change to the “Data Block with Picture Message” add-on, that some ‘extra’ accounts received the increase without the service.  I have disabled the add-on, but  how do I contact “Koodo” for a credit?  I have been circling the site for quite a while now and cannot find any link to make the request.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Easiest way is send them a private message on Facebook or Twitter.

Just to emphasize though: Koodo did not place the add-on to “extra” random accounts for a quick buck… every customer did that themselves.

However you should be able to get your $3 back if you ask, and you already removed the add-on so you shouldn’t get any further charges. Make sure you disable data on your phone so you won’t get unexpected data charges!

No.  I finally figured it out.  It’s been a few years and phones ago, but it was added by customer service at the time as a free service because my account had no data and I got charged for an MMS.  I have always turned data off on any phone since then.

I see there was a previous $2.00 fee for the service that I’ve never been charged, so I never noticed it.  Now where do I ask to get the charge back?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You would need to schedule a callback via the assitant.