Koodo Community

Community

Charge for calls to Fongo numbers?

Userlevel 6
The other day, I got myself a Fongo number just to try this out. I phoned my cousin to try it and make sure it works and it sure did. I then asked him to call me back, and it worked again. I called it a day and went on with life. When my cousin received his latest bill (he's on Koodo postpaid), he noticed he was charged LD for that call to my Fongo number! What gives? He has the $25 Can-wide plan, and has never been charged for calling either my Koodo prepaid or my VoIP.ms landline. Are Fongo numbers any different? I was as puzzled as he was on this one. P.S.: It may be worth mentioning that my Fongo number is in the 819 area code, and his Koodo line is in the 418, both within Canada and far enough from the US border. Anybody noticing the same, or has an explanation?

37 replies

Sounds like you need to contact Foungo.
To elaborate further: http://www.fongo.com/calling/long-distance/ If you click on Canada, you'll see the rates. So it's not completely 100% free for Fongo, depending on the area code you're calling(or receiving from in your friend's case). But really, in the future, check with Fongo first or whatever 3rd party service.
Userlevel 2
Well, if the fongo numbers are canadian numbers, and you have unlimited nationwide minutes, it makes sense to assume koodo wound't charge you. I don't see why a Canadian fonego number should be any different then a call places to a bell, rogers, or landline number. Perhaps Koodo can comment on this...
mattjs wrote:

Well, if the fongo numbers are canadian numbers, and you have unlimited nationwide minutes, it ma...

MattJS Go back to what I said, your number may be 819-555-1234 in QC, but when you call out they may use another number under a Caller ID of: MattJs EXTRA ####, 819-555-1234 GoogleVoice does this as did a few other Voip companies, Now if you cousin's caller id says 819...I'd say fight it; otherwise you might need to see what phone number he truly got.
Userlevel 2
mattjs wrote:

Well, if the fongo numbers are canadian numbers, and you have unlimited nationwide minutes, it ma...

That's what I'm seeking clarification on. If the call is made to a canadian number, regardless of it's then relayed, it's still a call to a Canadian number. Example, my gf calls my work cell, it's a Canadian number but I'm away for business and have international forwarding to an international number. She still isn't charged any extra fees as her call is made so a canadian number, I'm subsequently charged the forwarding fees on my work line. If anyone knows exactly what the fonego relay situation is, please share. And I'm sure Koodo can comment on this as well, as they're the ones billing the call, they should have an idea of what's going on with these types of voip services...
Userlevel 6
mattjs wrote:

That is the part that puzzles me. You are in Canada. You have Can-wide plan. You call Can phone number. You get charged LD. Hmm.... Been browsing Fongo's website for the better part of the last half hour, and so far, nothing, sadly.
mattjs wrote:

Maybe try and contact themn.
Userlevel 6
CallerID looked just fine, no string of numbers, nothing. Now, he lives a place where Fongo charges $0.02/min to call, whereas I live in one of their "free" calling cities. However, HE was calling me, from his Koodo postpaid line. As such, the number he was calling (my Fongo's) shouldn't matter as long as he's calling a Canadian number from within Canada. Now, he won't fight the charges as it was only $0.90 (we tried for 2 minutes). But without suspecting, we could have gone to a full length conversation and be dinged with a nasty surprise, expecting free Canada-wide calling. I still don't understand the underlying issue. CallerID was fine, number worked both inbound/outbound, call quality was okay, really I couldn't fault it. But to see LD charges for those 2 minutes was, for lack of better words, puzzling coming from a Koodo Canada-wide plan.
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

CallerID looked just fine, no string of numbers, nothing. Now, he lives a place where Fongo ch...

Well as I said, if the caller id is fine...FIGHT IT! But at 90 cents, I would concur with your dropping the matter 😉
Userlevel 6

CallerID looked just fine, no string of numbers, nothing. Now, he lives a place where Fongo ch...

Well, in this case, we only used it for 2 minutes, so no big deal. But we could easily have been unsuspecting and assumed that his Canada-wide plan covered the call, and end up with something that hurts. [i]That is the issue, not the $0.90 themselves, hehe. I'm still Googling around to understand why this happened.

Well I had a similar US problem with GrandCentral when it started...got Verizon to fix it. Good luck
Userlevel 6

Thanx Geoff! I'll try to keep this thread updated as I find (or don't find) things!

koodo sucks
Userlevel 4

Totally worth necroposting. I love it!
Userlevel 6
Anybody around here know someone in the 873 area code? It's used in western Quebec as a complement to the 819 one, who was becoming crowded. I read about something routing of Fongo numbers (like mine, which is in the 819, to something else, like 873). According to Wiki, even 873 is fully recognized as a part of Quebec, and as such, should be included in the Canada-wide list of area codes. So, if anyone of you know anyone within the 873 area code, just give them a quick call and see if you get charged LD.
Userlevel 2

Anybody around here know someone in the 873 area code? It's used in western Quebec as a compleme...

Not 873, but I frequently call 819......a few are even voip lines, never been billed extra.
Userlevel 6

Anybody around here know someone in the 873 area code? It's used in western Quebec as a compleme...

Yeah same for me... My life doesn't depend on this though, I tried Fongo merely for fun, so no big deal. Still, I would have like to know why the LD charge... And that routing that Fongo supposedly does to 873... Might be related, I dunno!

This is a matter of $0.90, right?
Userlevel 6

Geoff, the amount doesn't matter, I don't mind paying $0.90 [i]at all. What matters is that we did NOT expect to pay long distance on that call since it was all done within Canada, and we could EASILY have been dinged with quite the bill if we had had a regular length conversation! This is where the concern is, not over $0.90. Maybe I wasn't clear or something.
Userlevel 6
Hey! I notice the thread has been marked as "Doesn't need answer" and that doesn't sound right. Koodo, you could at least check to see if area code 873 is indeed in your list of Canada-wide codes! Wiki says the 873 code is valid, so I expect it to be supported by Koodo too, but I'd like confirmation. So, what's the verdict Koodo... Supported, or not? Thanx!

Hey! I notice the thread has been marked as "Doesn't need answer" and that doesn't sound right. ...

TopperCNC, Perhaps that is the answer? Remember some can state "You clearly have some discrimination issues that you need to work out. What if I was black or Gay? I would take a really big offense to the term 'people like you'" and nothing gets done. The same party can insult others, but then again a Mobile Master can talk about private details of them employer and the military.
Userlevel 2

Hey! I notice the thread has been marked as "Doesn't need answer" and that doesn't sound right. ...

wait....what?
Userlevel 6

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljy1clBvxU1qajshho1_250.png

Tony Stark?
Userlevel 6

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/are-you-serious-face-seriously