Koodo Community

Community

Bring back per-second billing!

Per-second billing was one of the greatest advantages of choosing Koodo. i remember when i was young, watching a Fido commercial with a taxi, and the lady pointed out something along the lines that the taxi ride was about 20 seconds or so. The ending remark was something like "a 20-second call is a 20-second call", with the Fido dogs and logo. Koodo adopted this in March 2008 since day 1, to provide real value to customers. They also set the standard in the industry for value plans. Later that year, in November, Fido and Solo bent to match Koodo's plans. All providers became much the same, with little to tell the difference between one and another. Fido and Solo were Koodo's mirrors. In 2011, Koodo changed the mobile industry by introducing Canada-wide calling. Along with retaining per-second billings, these plans provided tremendous value. Fido and Virgin (which replaced Bell's Solo) also mimicked the plans. But since Fido had only one or two Canada-wide plans, and Virgin still billed by the minute, Koodo was leading the pack… …until now. Koodo's new plans are simply the old plans, but with a $5/month increase for two calling features. That would have been okay, instead of charging more for the features separately, but Koodo found another way to gouge their customers: per-minute billing. They also removed 50 minutes from the $30/month (previously $25) plan, which used to have 150 minutes. At a time when Internet is the main demand, while talk and text cost virtually nothing to provide, Koodo is gouging. Please reintroduce per-second calling, even with the new plans. Per-second billing adds customer loyalty, and saves an average of 25% of minutes compared to per-minute billing. Customers need a reason to choose Koodo over the competition. Canada-wide calling and per-second billing make a good marriage. Please don't divorce them! If you, the customer, want to save money with per-second billing, please click the "+1" button above. Thank you very much.

770 replies

Userlevel 3
I don't think they are taking away per-second from you. It's only if you change plans.
EmilX wrote:

I don't think they are taking away per-second from you. It's only if you change plans.

i'm leaving Koodo out of principle, regardless of whether or not i get grandfathered. We're in 2012 and the Big 3 have gouged us for long enough. Charge per second, not per minute!
Userlevel 3
EmilX wrote:

Easy Alex,:-) It's a freaking cellphone not your life.:-) Unless your cellphone becomes your life which is good for no one. Can yo actually put a dollar value on per second billing? What do you think it's worth to the average user? I doubt it's more than $2-$3. Any guesses?
EmilX wrote:

No, it's not "my life". Technology does passionate me, but it doesn't define me. Yes, you can put a dollar value on per-second billing. If, say, i use 100 minutes with per-second billing, i would have used 25% less airtime compared to per-minute billing. The problem is, per-minute billing means i'll use approximately 133 minutes instead. If these 133 minutes are all used before 17h, this would mean $14.85 in overages on the new $25 and $30 plans! For people outside of City Koodo coverage, Koodo doesn't add up to real value that much anymore.
EmilX wrote:

lol he is telling you to "relax"
EmilX wrote:

I agree, Alex. It is 2012, this technology has been available for awhile, and quite frankly, Canadian customers are known to be some of the least vocal in the world. It's time to speak up and get what we want. Europe has far, far better cellphone plans than us. The companies across the pond know that they can get away with this inequality for only so long, and until we push hard enough, they will not budge. But let's be civil about it, and do it respectfully and with dignity. If you disagree with something and don't speak up for yourself, you have chosen not to speak up for yourself. Freedom is not taken away from you, but is given away with your permission. And it's hard to appreciate freedom if you've always had it, and never had to fight for it. Maybe the people in Europe still have the memories of fighting for their freedom, while we have forgotten to a larger degree. But that's just some of my musings...
EmilX, I'm afraid EVERYBODY loses per second billing, at least according to a comment made by the Koodo Rep Marc Prud'homme on Facebook, responding to a young lady asking if her plan changes automatically : "It does change, I work for them. But still, we were almost the only ones who charged by the second. You still get no contract, all the flexibility and canada wide plans plus you get Voicemail and call display in every plan now! Koodo still owns this! :)"
freddyboy45 wrote:

EmilX, I'm afraid EVERYBODY loses per second billing, at least according to a comment made by the...

Oops, I was wrong. Posted by Koodo on FB : "Guys, just be entirely clear....if you are on an existing plan that has per second billing you will NOT lose it. You will keep everything the way it was."
I must now re research to find another provider.only FIDO left.. per second billing is very attractive but now have to think again. planded to move to koodo about 2 month later when my contract end with other.
happy.... wrote:

I must now re research to find another provider.only FIDO left.. per second billing is very a...

Wind mobile is an amazing deal, better than Koodo any day and if you live in an area where they provide service hey! Have a nice day 🙂
Please invite your friends, too, to click on the "+1" button on this page. Also, click on the sad face when you write a comment in this thread.
Per minute billing, a decrease in the number of minutes in the former $25 plan and constant issues with my Self Serve Account have me with one foot out the door already. Very disappointed Koodo.
Userlevel 7
M.Ster wrote:

Per minute billing, a decrease in the number of minutes in the former $25 plan and constant issue...

this is not affecting your current plan whatsoever so please stop being dramatic.
M.Ster wrote:

Per minute billing, a decrease in the number of minutes in the former $25 plan and constant issue...

ok if u work for koodo i think u need to switch jobs.. we as the customer dont appreciate your rudeness. thank you.
M.Ster wrote:

Koodo is starting to go downhill. They advertise as providing value for the customer yet secretly make these seemingly minor adjustments that hurt the customer not help them.
Why would Koodo take away persecond billing and the 15 dollar plan BIG mistake this was the MAIN reson Im getting Koodo now though... I dunno they REALLY SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN AWAY THESE things 😞
No Per-Second Billing, No $15 plan, and No Galaxy Nexus (Or even a release date). I am seriously thinking about switching carriers. I don't know what they are thinking but Koodo needs to do some re-planning.
WHAT?? The reason I chose Koodo over Fido was two-fold. One was their phone selection. The other was the fact that Koodo had per-second billing, just like Fido. Wait, but after reading freddyboy45's second comment, does that mean that it doesn't affect existing customers, but only those who have just signed up?
Userlevel 7
account.energy wrote:

WHAT?? The reason I chose Koodo over Fido was two-fold. One was their phone selection. The other ...

no, it does not affect current customers. it only affects new customers. any customers on the old plans will keep per sec billing. if you change to one of the new plans, then you lose per sec billing. koodo will not force you to switch
Badge +4
Oddly enough, no one from Koodo Mobile has dared to comment on this subject. Any official representatives from KM care to set the record straight, once and for all? Hope this doesn't affect those that are currently subscribed to the $35 Canada-wide Plan - I see that this package has now risen to $40! Any explanation regarding this price increase - are existing customers exempt?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Oddly enough, no one from Koodo Mobile has dared to comment on this subject. Any official represe...

Yes Rikkster, any existing customers can keep their plan as always. Changes are only effective if you decide to change plans. We try to be as innovative as possible in terms of our offerings. You saw us eliminate long distance last August. We then started asking customers what else would appeal to them. And most suggested that including the 2 most crucial add-ons as part of their plan is what they wanted. Of course we can't keep giving everything away, otherwise we would quickly go broke. So, we had to make some adjustments in order to meet both our customers' and our business' needs. We will never be able to please everyone that we know.
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Oddly enough, no one from Koodo Mobile has dared to comment on this subject. Any official represe...

Thought I'd ask... Thank you.
rikkster wrote:

The fact they try to get around the $5 increase by saying it doesn't change for old customers is BS. The fact is, one of the main reasons people go with Koodo is the flexibility to change month to month or if they go on sebattical or holiday for an extended period. People have the flexiblity to set their plan to the minimum $15 plan (now it's $20) and then back up to whatever they are used to. So eventually almost everybody will be forced to change to the new plan no matter what BS Koodo tries to feed us. And people who are on the $15 plan don't necessarily want VM and CD. Make that a separate $5 option for BOTH instead of forcing clients to take it. That's what got Koodo where they are - the fact they were innovators and lead the change towards being the only value oriented pay for what you use cell phone provider. Now they are becoming arrogant and starting to gouge...
For those who are already with Koodo, I guess this isn't a big deal. But for someone who was really excited to switch to Koodo this summer (when my Rogers contract expired), I'm extremely disappointed, and will have to look elsewhere. One of the reasons is the end to per second billing, which is a very big deal, because it saves you about 25% of your minutes (as Alex commented). But they're also taking away 50 minutes from the former $25 plan (now $30 plan). That's another huge deal, because those 50 minutes will now cost me $22.50/month extra at the new $0.45/min rate. Call display and voicemail being force fed is no added bonus. Who needs it when you can just text someone (which is a lot cheaper than having to use your minutes to leave and check mesages). Huge disappointment. Koodo is scaring away potential customers. Not a smart business move.
ALTERNATIVE to Koodo's new plans and pricing... VIRGIN MOBILE!!!!! For $35/month, VIRGIN MOBILE offers the following CANADA WIDE plan: * 200 anytime minutes * unlimited incoming calls * unlimited evenings & weekends from 5pm * unlimited Canada, US & International text and picture messaging * unlimited BBM Koodo no longer "owns it", as the rep said.