Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Billing Question- If I send a snapchat to the US from Canada, do I get charged for that?

I have an additional usage charge of $5 and I am trying to figure out why.
Additional usage charge
Data and SMS $5
When I expand the data it shows all the days of the month with zero beside them all?
When I download the bill to see details, I see
Roaming Txt Msg - Sent $5.00
I have not been outside Canada but I have a feeling it is because I have been playing with snapchat back and forth to someone in Florida ?
Its not the $5, I just want to know what I am getting charged for

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Snapchat strictly uses data, and it's irrelevant where the other person is. If you have not gone over your data, then that's not it. Have you been close to the border? It's possible that it locked onto an American cell tower.
Nowhere near the border, and I never use anywhere near the data limit as I have a warning setup.
The only clue I get is
Roaming Txt Msg - Sent $5.00 Total used 9 (Msg)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Paul.

That's most likely a text you sent while roaming. If it has been registered as roaming, then you must've been near the border. There's no way snapchat will use "roaming text"
I think you may be right
I called Koodo and they said its a roaming charge for texting. But I have not been out of Canada. The only thing is I moved near Lake Ontario, literally right by the water. I am going to watch it and see if its registering some of my texts as being in the US? Anyway, they waived the charges for now. Thanks for you help
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
paultremblay123 . wrote:

I think you may be right
I called Koodo and they said its a roaming charge for texting. But I hav...

You can check where the nearest Canadian cellular towers to your location are placed on this website. There is no equivalent for the USA.  Radio waves carry well across water, so you may be 'closer' to the US tower, as far as the radio transmission is concerned.

You can set your phone's carrier settings to connect to Koodo only instead of automatically choosing, if you wish. Far simpler that requesting an adjustment with any frequency.

paultremblay123 . wrote:

I think you may be right
I called Koodo and they said its a roaming charge for texting. But I hav...

David, I think you got it.
I am 60m from Scarborough town center and 57 across the lake.
I set my phone up to use Koodo first, its a bit cryptic on the Samsung Sg4
Under "select automatically"
Oops, I have a very weak signal now and I get unable to connect when I go back into select automatically" 
It worked eventually, I will play with this. I have it set to select Koodo first now
I think this is likely the problem.