Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Billing

I thought the shock proof data was so that you don't go over on your data? My daughter's phone shows an extra $65.00 on the bill which I don't believe I should have to pay. It should have been cut off when she hit her limit. I tried to call but I don't have an hour to sit and wait on the phone while I'm at work.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It usuallly has to be setup first to block data at 100% IIRC. Also if it was setup, it's possible that your daughter got the text message saying if you wish to continue past 100% reply yes. Can you confirm if that was the case as well? You can see in usage under the data usage graph "change data alerts." Then the box should be checked to receive notifications. The self-serve has been modified recently so it's possible that that will not lock it down but just send a 100% notification. Let me find out.
Goran wrote:

It usuallly has to be setup first to block data at 100% IIRC. Also if it was setup, it's possible...

Hi Goran, when we purchased the phones, I insisted that the data on her phone blocked once she reached the limit.  She was with me when when we got both of our phones.  She did not realize that it would cost extra so I'm hoping we can do something about the extra $65.00  I have called her now and explained to her but the charge is already on my account.  This is one of the reasons I came to Koodo so that there would be data overages, and why I asked and was told yes about the the block at 100% in the first place.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

It usuallly has to be setup first to block data at 100% IIRC. Also if it was setup, it's possible...

@ Robyn, shock free data is indeed meant to be without any surprises. And you are right, lots of people like the feature. It stops people from going over their data spend and end up with something they didn't expect. Data is indeed stopped and a text message states that there is no more data left for the month. Because customers wanted the flexibility of having the option to either leave things as is and wait till the next bill cycle, or purchase additional data there is also an option to purchase more data. It clearly states the price, customers actively have to agree and a confirmation text is also sent. On jan 8th it looks like that is what happened. More data was purchased. Here is the text that was sent:

Then when additional data ran out more was purchased once again a few days later. I hope this helps explain what happened and hopefully prevents anything unexpected in the future.  
Goran wrote:

I think $65.00 is extreme when she didn't realize there was going to be an additional cost.  Can you please remove the $65.00 additional fee? I have spoken to her and she understands now that when she says that text. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

The text of the message from koodo reads as follows: (specific numbers will vary depending on the plan)
Koodo: You've used 100% of your 2048MB of data. To help manage your costs, your data has been temporarily turned off until 2016-11-24. To turn your data back on, respond "Yes" to get 100MB of data for $5. Or, visit koododatatopup.zenithss.com for more data options.
To get to $65, she must have received and replied to this text 13 times.
Goran wrote:

I talked to her, she said if she knew I was going to be charged any additional money she would never have done it.  I'm a single parent and on a budget so needless to say, this additional $65 is going to hurt.  Can you work with me on this please?  If you check, I am never late paying my bills since I started with Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Possibly your daughter needs to take greater responsibility for the overage. She could provide services to neighbours, or get a part-time job to earn enough cash to repay this sum. Or possibly her phone needs to be dropped to a cheaper talk & text only or a Vacation hold plan for a while.
Goran wrote:

As a  single mom of 5, your daughter cannot claim "I didn't know".  Get tough, make her earn the money, or just cut off her phone for a couple months.  You are responsible for the overages.  Period.  Maybe you should put her on a pay-as-you-go type of plan...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Exactly although the OP probably learned their lesson as this thread is over a year old now.
Goran wrote:

Duh...  maybe you can help me with why I'm here then...  lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

And that would be?
Goran wrote:

My son's phone got cut off, and I need to change the payment options.  I cannot find a number to talk to a person!  I cannot remember my account or password, so that does not help me one bit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Go to the login screen for postpaid or prepaid depending which you are on and you'll see beside the input boxes "forgot password" you'll give your email address and they will send you an email to reset your password. Once you reset your password you'll be able to get into your self serve account and change your payment method. Start here https://www.koodomobile.com/ And tap the menu in the top left corner of the screen to get to prepaid or postpaid login.
Goran wrote:

So....  what number can I call?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

http://bfy.tw/9K9T
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

611 from your phone
Goran wrote:

Contact info at bottom of this page whether it be calling/Facebook or Twitter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It does get cut off and a text is sent to ask if you want to pay more money to keep using data. If she says yes and agrees to pay for more data then the connection is enabled again until that data amount agreed along is used and then again another text is sent and so on. So you may want to talk to your daughter and check out her texts to find the ones from Koodo that she agreed to so she could use more data.