Koodo Community
Question

Bill Charges for Extra Data

• 18 September 2020
  • 11 replies

Hey all,

I recently upgraded my plan to a $45.00 plan to get 1 GB of monthly data.

Thing is, I had to pay twice for an extra 100 MB during the month. 

In the past, it was $5.00 per every 100 MB, and that’s what the text says when I’m given the options. However, looks like I’m being charged $10.00 every time now since I upgraded my plan, for the same amount of data?

Hoping someone from customer service can help as I’ve been waiting on the line for over an hour.

If I’m getting charged twice for the same amount of extra data, then that’s not right.

Thanks

11 replies

Userlevel 7

You did not specify if you are on a Prepaid or Postpaid plan. I just verified that a 100MB add-on for a Prepaid plan costs $10. Not sure what it would cost on a Postpaid plan.  Good luck getting help to clarify, and if relevant, to resolve the issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

All newer plans have a data overage rate of 100 dollars per gigabyte. I'd upgrade your plan to something else unless you really only need 1gb normally?

I’m on a postpaid plan. Koodo usually texts the options to me ($5 for extra 100 MB. Reply Y….)

Have the previous bills to prove it, too.

I don’t mind the overage rate, as I’m not a big data person, but this is a noticeable difference...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sadly, overage fees depend on the plan that you have. Some of the older plans had really nice overages, nowadays Koodo seems to offer larger data plans but lousy overage rates.

If you are not a big data person, have you considered a prepaid plan? Both Koodo prepaid but especially Public Mobile offer some great options in that regard. Be aware though that you will also lose some “postpaid privileges”, such as the Tab, international roaming (outside North America) and a few other perks… but I thought I’d mention it all the same :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Actually, looking at Koodo's plans, currently the $45 plan offers 2gb of data. I believe you can just update your plan, there are no additional requirements. That might solve your problem right there....

Actually, looking at Koodo's plans, currently the $45 plan offers 2gb of data. I believe you can just update your plan, there are no additional requirements. That might solve your problem right there....

Thanks, Sophia. Unfortunately the plan is a special when you’re using it on a tab, which I don’t need right now. :(

All good. I’ll just be more tight with the data.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks, Sophia. Unfortunately the plan is a special when you’re using it on a tab, which I don’t need right now. :(

It doesn't specify that it's for new activations and tab upgrades only like the 5gb bonus ones say. Are you sure? Did you try and it wouldn't let you get it?

It doesn't specify that it's for new activations and tab upgrades only like the 5gb bonus ones say. Are you sure? Did you try and it wouldn't let you get it?

Yup. I’d have to put forward some extra money for a “future phone” on that tab. List of available plans just for me go from 35, to 45 (1 GB), then jumps to $60 and $75.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I honestly think that getting that plan is as easy as contacting Koodo if you can't select it in self serve. There is no mention of upgrade/tab requirements and you'd get an extra gig with no effort at all. Go for it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I strongly agree with Goran and Sophia.   $45 plan doesn't say that it's for new activations and tab upgrades only.  So, you should be able to switch to it.  It's same $45 and you get extra 1GB.

Contact them and ask them to do switch your plan to new $45,  2gb plan.  Tell them there is no mention about new activation or upgrade. So, they should honor that. Also,tell them you can't switch through self serve to prevent to get "plan change" charge.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m on a postpaid plan. Koodo usually texts the options to me ($5 for extra 100 MB. Reply Y….)

Have the previous bills to prove it, too.

I don’t mind the overage rate, as I’m not a big data person, but this is a noticeable difference...

If you dont want to change your plan, the Shock free data text should also give other options for 300mb and 1GB of data too

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/shock-free-data

If you login to your self serve you can see what your plan is along with the overage rate.  Depending on how old your plan is, a different overage rate will apply.