Koodo Community
Solved

Bill charges??

• 3 September 2019
  • 7 replies

I was charged 20$ for accidental roaming, I was in Niagara falls, but went online to self-serve to cancel roaming, got charged 20$ on top of my bill

First, roaming to US should be 8$, and I don't think I was charged something for updating my plan online as that's listed as free

I couldn't find an email to contact, and I couldn't figure out the chat bot - I don't want to be charged for calling koodo to dispute this charge - why was I charged and how can I dispute this?
icon

Best answer by Dennis 3 September 2019, 21:30

I guess I got charged as pay-per-use, but how am I supposed to not get roaming charges - turn my phone off during the entire time??

I thought it made sense to cancel the roaming add-on and that would stop all roaming, instead of just jacking up the price to pay per use since the roaming add on is free, that doesn't seem intuitive to me

Removing the Easy Roam option does not turn off roaming. Easy Roam is just a billing function to minimize roaming costs. To turn off roaming, you need to turn on Airplane Mode or turn off the phone. In other words, you want to prevent the phone from connecting to a non-koodo network. You can also control your roaming by not sending Texts (incoming is free) or talking on your phone, and have data roaming (or regular data) switched off when connected to a foreign Network.

Also, when in Canada, you could also change your network setting from Automatic to Koodo so it will only connect with the Koodo network and prevent connection to a roaming network.
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
How do you cancel roaming on self serve? Maybe you turned off easy-roam and then you were on pay-per-use roaming instead?

When you log into self serve and then download your pdf ebill, what exactly does it say the charges are for?

And you are correct, there is no cost to charge your plan on self serve. But lets see what's on your detailed bill to see whats going on
Thank you for taking the time to answer!

I realized when I turned my data off, I was still being seen as roaming through texting and calling! I knew from my previous travels that I had the roaming add on, and I didn't want to get charged for being in Niagara falls, so I took the roaming off (removed the easy roam add on)
The charges are two - one 10$ for "Roaming Txt Msg - Sent" and another 10$ for "US 1X Data Roaming" but the data used in US was minimal as I tried to turn off roaming when I realized that I was being tagged as US (though I had to use my data to access the koodo site to do that unfortunately, but I didn't know how else I could avoid a roaming charge!)
I guess I got charged as pay-per-use, but how am I supposed to not get roaming charges - turn my phone off during the entire time??

I thought it made sense to cancel the roaming add-on and that would stop all roaming, instead of just jacking up the price to pay per use since the roaming add on is free, that doesn't seem intuitive to me
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Removing the Easy Roam option does not turn off roaming. Easy Roam is just a billing function to minimize roaming costs. To turn off roaming, you need to turn on Airplane Mode or turn off the phone. In other words, you want to prevent the phone from connecting to a non-koodo network. You can also control your roaming by not sending Texts (incoming is free) or talking on your phone, and have data roaming (or regular data) switched off when connected to a foreign Network.

Also, when in Canada, you could also change your network setting from Automatic to Koodo so it will only connect with the Koodo network and prevent connection to a roaming network.
thank you, that's very helpful!
Userlevel 4
@gracesjlee I think if I were you, I would call in and explain that you were on the Canadian side and see if they will reverse the charges for you. Then next time you can you can do the switch from automatic to Koodo like Dennis pointed out.
Userlevel 3
Hey, @gracesjlee ! Did you get a chance to discuss with us over the phone or send a message via Facebook/Twitter? We can check the account for the current charges and to make sure that it won't happen again you can follow the steps Dennis suggested and switch the carrier mode to manual. 😃