Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Beware of new corporate policy.


Went to a Koodo kiosk today, and was treated like a nobody, and not the loyal customer that I have been for years. I was refused service for not having a "valid" drivers license.. I work 5 minutes from my house, and haven't had to drive for years. 

I provided my drivers license, but was told that because it expired, I cannot make any changes with my account, cannot replace my phone, unless I paid $4-500 for a phone outright.

Keep in mind, I have never been asked for ID in the past few years when trying to make changes to my account, or replace a phone. So here I am stuck with a phone that has a battery life of a couple hours, and Koodo refuses to do anything because I do not have a valid DL..

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Kevin,

There are multiple other ID's that can be used instead of a drivers license. Take a look at the list here:
http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/before-you-purchase/do-you-perform-a-credit-c...

The policy has been in place for many years now and it only in place to protect you. Anyone could walk up and say they are you. Without being able to validate who you are, Koodo has no way of telling who you are. Just like any other thing.
Why are you linking this? I have been a customer for years, never required ID, and my "expired" DL was not enough to get assistance today. The Koodo rep I had on the phone said it was poor practice, and apologized. Just because my DL is past expiry, does not mean I have changed identities, I am still the same person.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kevin Braaksma wrote:

Why are you linking this? I have been a customer for years, never required ID, and my "expired" D...

However, an expired Driver's Licence is not considered valid. You have no reason to keep it current, and it could very well be in possession of someone else. The number of expired ID used, by individuals other than the original ID holder, to obtain items or access to which they are not entitled is staggering. 
 
Kevin Braaksma wrote:

Why are you linking this? I have been a customer for years, never required ID, and my "expired" D...

You are aware that there is a picture on them, are you not?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kevin Braaksma wrote:

Why are you linking this? I have been a customer for years, never required ID, and my "expired" D...

No, I didn't know that. 
/s

Kevin Braaksma wrote:

Why are you linking this? I have been a customer for years, never required ID, and my "expired" D...

Still the same guy who has been a customer for years without issue, still the same guy on my ID. Still the same guy on my Valid HC, still the same guy with my BC, and SIN..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo has been tightening down on security measures of late. I've also always to provide id in person when getting a phone, both at Koodo and Bestbuy. You should know that there are limits to expired id being considered valid. For example, in Ontario it is one year. How long was yours expired for and which province do you reside in? You really should keep your IDs up to date regardless of whether or not you generally get by without in case you run into situations where you will need to show some ID. You may still be the same person, but it's still not considered valid ID after x period of time. Now, I do find it odd because if you can access your account online and get a phone then, or via the phone with your pin, then why not as well in person, but thems the breaks.
Ontario, 2 years, and the government gets enough of my money, not going to give them more to satisfy Koodo.

CS suggested I just buy it online, or go to a third party retailer, or get someone with a valid DL added to my account. This is just silly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Then you don't have a valid ID and nowhere is allowed to accept it. Sure stick it to Big Bad Queens Park for 15 dollars a year or 7 for the identity card in lieu of a driver's license. Sympathy is now zero. Then exercise your alternate options.
Goran wrote:

Then you don't have a valid ID and nowhere is allowed to accept it. Sure stick it to Big Bad Quee...

Thanks buddy! What a good tool you are.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Then you don't have a valid ID and nowhere is allowed to accept it. Sure stick it to Big Bad Quee...

I'm not your buddy, guy!

Userlevel 7
Kevin,

I am sure you would be chanting a different tune if someone had just taken over your account because they let them make any changes they want without any ID.

You have the option of getting an Ontario Photo Card for the extremely reasonable price of 35$ for 5 years, or less then 0.02$ per day. You have your options, use them. You might as well get an ID card so you can avoid the hassle in the future.

In the past 5 years, Koodo has always required ID to make changes to an account in person. Perhaps last time you had to go to a kiosk your drivers license was valid.
Mathieu wrote:

Kevin,

I am sure you would be chanting a different tune if someone had just taken over your acco...

Yea, because that has happened. I have no use for it, this has been the only issue. I have never had to show ID in the past 5 years, let alone a valid DL.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Kevin,

I am sure you would be chanting a different tune if someone had just taken over your acco...

You say that you have no use for it, but chances are you will need a government-issued photo ID again at some point.
Userlevel 7
Kevin Braaksma wrote:

Terrorists win!

How does that have anything to do with this? Koodo is just trying to confirm you are who you say you are.

The same thing happens at all phone carriers, at all banks, and even at the post office when picking up a parcel.
Kevin Braaksma wrote:

Terrorists win!

Never had to show ID with Koodo, had lost my wallet, bank solved it with security questions, my proof of address, and expired drivers license worked out just fine to pick up a parcel.
Userlevel 6
Kevin Braaksma wrote:

Terrorists win!

Update your driver's license, not for Koodo but for yourself. If you get pulled over it won't be such a merry christmas
Kevin Braaksma wrote:

Terrorists win!

I no longer drive, Cameron. I work 5 minutes walk from home.
Userlevel 6
Pure and simple, you need to a valid piece of photo ID.  Doesn't matter if you don't like the rules, you have to live by them. 

You mentioned the Ontario HC.  If a store takes that as ID, it's a $25k fine to the individual and a much larger fine to the store. 

Reply