Koodo Community

Community

Better the rest

Being as you guys have some of the best prices around, I don't think it would be much effort to make data sharable at your guys great rates ! For example, I have 2gb of data and I have my gf account under my name. Maybe if you just at a charge of 10$ ( something small but still reasonable ) I could simple share the data.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I wouldn't pay a fee to share the data.
Ivan wrote:

well free would be better, but lets be realistic here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Why would it be unrealistic to have this for free? It's not like I'm getting data I'm not paying for anyway.
Ivan wrote:

well seeing as how none of the other companies offer this without the fee, so even though it would be a nice free option, I guess I can look from the business point as well.
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

That's where Koodo steps in as the innovator with 'no fee' data sharing.
Userlevel 5
Ive never been a big fan of Data sharing, or sharing in general to be honest. Unless your constantly tracking what everyone on the account is using, and being very careful it just sounds like a great way to go over your plan and rack up overages. Id rather have my own plan and just have family calling so I don't have to worry.
Userlevel 2
The problem with data sharing comes down to overages. If I have 3GB of data and my fiancee uses 2.5, that leaves me with .5gb. I'm always hitting at least 1GB if not 2GB. I would only support data sharing if the data amounts were increased(and even then I'm against that to a point).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

The problem with data sharing comes down to overages. If I have 3GB of data and my fiancee uses 2...

But you're assuming that only one person has data on their plan. Why isn't there a base amount of data on your fiancée's line if she's interested in using data?
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

The problem with data sharing comes down to overages. If I have 3GB of data and my fiancee uses 2...

Well that's how it works, doesn't it? One person has the data and then it's shared among the rest of the users on an account? Or am I completely mistaken on how it works?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

Both people have data and one person gets to use more if the other uses less. I have 2 GB right now and my wife has nothing because she can live without it. If there was data sharing I'd consider getting her a GB. She'd barely use any and I'd have the rest.
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. If both lines have access to data, then what's the point in "sharing"?
Userlevel 4
Myke wrote:

Kinda sounds like that recent Rogers share plan commercial that has been spamming my tv and youtube videos....ugh
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

What do you mean what's the point? I get to use the other person's unused data portion. My 2 GB + her 1GB in a shared pool as she doesn't need anything remotely close to that but I wouldn't mind having it. If this was possible, I'd sign her up for a more expensive plan = more revenue for Koodo. As it stands, she has a voice plan only and can live without the data.
Userlevel 6
Myke wrote:

Going with Ivan here. This would allow him to tap into his g/f's unused portion without going into overage himself, since it's all pooled together. If his g/f only uses 200 MB in a month, that leaves him with 2.8 GB to play with instead of his usual 2GB.
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

How is it pooled together if my data amount and her data amount are on separate lines?
Userlevel 6
Myke wrote:

Overages wouldn't kick in until the sum of both lines' useage would not exceed the sum of both lines' allowance. That is, if Ivan is at 2.5GB on his 2GB account, there would be no overage as long as his g/f stays under 0.5GB. And billing wouldn't matter because it would be for lines on a same account anyway. There's one variable that we're all forgetting though: overage rates that vary. They would need to come up with something like a unified overage rate for the whole account, not for separate lines.
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

It still doesn't make sense to me. How does the system divy up the data between the 2 lines? How does it determine who gets charged the overage rate? It seems far more complicated than it needs to be, which would also be another reason why Koodo doesn't do it.
Userlevel 6
Myke wrote:

The system wouldn't have to divy anything up Myke. Pooling the data together from both lines would simply make 3GB available to the whole account, instead of 2GB for one line and 1GB for the other one. And if there are overages, it doesn't matter who's at fault because it's all from one account (not line) anyway, I mean, the whole account is paid once by one person. I'm one not to determine if something's too complicated or feasible, I'll let the Koodo decision-makers be the judges on this one. I still support the idea though, because it's a shame letting unused data from one line go to waste while another line on the same account could use it.
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

Since there's no pooling option, this idea isn't feasable in Koodo's current system. This would mean that Koodo would have to program into their network and I doubt that they want to spend the time/money for an option that only a few would take advantage of. Someone would have to be responsible for the overages & with Koodo's current system, it's just not possible. Each line is charged it's own overages.
Userlevel 6
Myke wrote:

Well, maybe it's time to make some changes! Things cannot just stand still forever, like they're set in stone... Anyway, it's not like any one of us has any impact over this... hehehe
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

I'm all for change if it makes sense. Data sharing on Koodo doesn't make much sense. It may work for a bigger company, but I can't see it working for Koodo, especially since it would require a lot of recoding.
Userlevel 6
Myke wrote:

Well, it doesn't make sense [i]for you Myke, and it's okay like that! You're more than welcome to have a set opinion on this topic, I was not forcing it down your throat 😛 I'd still welcome pooled data for whole accounts, but hey, in the end, I can't decide for Koodo!
Myke wrote:

And where I have two lines it would work for me and if I think of adding a third then I would have no need for the big 3. I don't think it would involve much "programing" just the way it is tallied at the end of the month.