Koodo Community

Community

Better Data


Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What I'm about to propose hasn't really been done by anyone. I think that Koodo can earn a lot of goodwill and grow its brand by implementing something like this. I've seen it stated before that most people with a data plan don't go over their limit. Increased usage of mobile data does add load to the network and naturally there are overage charges. What about giving us credits? What if I use only about 1 GB per month and my limit is 2 GB? Here are a few ways this can be implemented: 1. Simply roll-over (bank) any unused data into the next billing period. If I had 1 GB of unused data then my next month would allow for 3 GB total. In this case your data allowance would build over time. 2. Giving us the option to "convert" unused data after a certain period of time into service credits or in-store purchases would also be a bonus (at let's say $2/GB, and allow for one conversion every 3 months). 3. Share all data on the account. If my wife never uses her data, it makes no sense for us to put her on the $60 plan, even if she likes the other features. If her data could become my extra data, we would have an incentive to get get her the more expensive plan. 4. Average data use for two months at a time (like Teksavvy Solutions does with their traditional Internet service). If my cap is 2 GB/mo., then my 2 month cap is 4 GB. Using 3 GB in the first month and 1 GB in the second would not result in an additional charge. These would be more positive ways to enforce a network fair usage policy than simply charging for extra use. If there is a punishment for one extreme, maybe there should be a reward for the other. I'm happy with my current plan, but I think that this would help Koodo stand out against competition. Look at Wind Mobile. They offer killer deals (at the cost of ARPU) to get people to switch. What I propose should only minimally impact Koodo's ARPU (option 3 would actually increase it). I've had Wind and its network was satisfactory to me. I switched to Koodo because of a "perfect storm" of promotions .gift cards, PC Points, seasonal promo plans). Implementing any of these strategies would make Koodo competitive outside of the holiday season. I wouldn't have joined the Koodo community at any other time.

52 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The whole load on the system is a complete load, check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyuIiG4c4Go&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It can't be a complete load. Bandwidth is finite.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

It can't be a complete load. Bandwidth is finite.

It's a load of bulls**t is what I was saying lol
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

It can't be a complete load. Bandwidth is finite.

No silly cartoons, just the facts: [b]Downlink performance of HSPA Evolution: increasing load [i]Rapid growth in HSPA data traffic in most established WCDMA networks generates considerable load in the HSPA downlink; this corresponds to larger data volumes per cell (and higher utilization). Source: http://www.ericsson.com/ericsson/corpinfo/publications/review/2009_01/files/HSPA.pdf
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

It can't be a complete load. Bandwidth is finite.

Makes sense. If more customers access the network, the more it loads the network. Otherwise, we wouldn't need more towers. If system load was non existent, I could supply all of my neighbours with fast and free internet through a powerful router.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

It can't be a complete load. Bandwidth is finite.

Former FCC Chairman admits data caps aren't about preventing network congestion http://t.co/nF0XkZVr
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

It can't be a complete load. Bandwidth is finite.

Precisely, data caps are designed to meter usage and generate revenue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

It can't be a complete load. Bandwidth is finite.

Exactly & they should go back to unlimited data for 1 given price. They can do it but they want to squeeze every penny they can when they were already making a huge amount when the Internet first came out & was the pay 1 price. Them charging data this way isn't going to really change the habits of users so it isn't going to load the system that much more than it already is.
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

It can't be a complete load. Bandwidth is finite.

Nothing will change that until people become less dependant on data (unlikely to occur). When people talked less and less, what happened to minutes? We got unlimited, and Canada-wide! You would have never believed that just 5 years ago! But since people use less airtime and more data, they give more of what people want less, and less of what people want more, in order to generate extra revenue. The day data consumption goes below a certain threshold, they'll bring back unlimited data, just like they now give us unlimited airtime.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

It can't be a complete load. Bandwidth is finite.

well put but we will never see data usage decrease, we are dependent upon it. We will however see unlimited data in Canada as soon as Wind expands to a respectable point. That is if the new owners of Wind keep offering unlimited data & don't change the structure of the provided service.
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

It can't be a complete load. Bandwidth is finite.

I see data usage increasing myself (per user who *want* data), but let's not forget a very large portion of subscribers are scared beyond belief about being charged for data. Just look at all the "data charges" related posts on this forum. It's all about people wanting to make 100% sure they won't spend a penny on data, and I respect that. But as you add to the pool of subscribers, many of them don't want data and won't include it in their plans. What this does is take down the % of data per line per month. That is where my implied decrease comes from. I know both you and I, Kid Android, will continue to be happy to use our data, but not every subscriber does. When that % gets below a certain set threshold, carriers will then see data is not the hot ticket anymore, and will then try to offer a bit more, for a bit less (until we get to unlimited), to try and reignite consumer demand. It's a stretch, but I'm only speculating 🙂 And as for Wind, thanx to Quebecor and its high spectrum bids, we residents of Quebec are treated to shitty mobile plans from Videotron. They're seriously not competitive at all. Province-wide minutes? Who are you kidding, implying people in Quebec don't call the ROC? A load of bull... I certainly do! Anyways, Wind needs to be present in every province. Not because I'm a fan, simply because it puts just a little more pressure on EL Tabadors's figure-4 leglock 🙂
Userlevel 1
Ivan wrote:

It can't be a complete load. Bandwidth is finite.

www.openmedia.ca for the truth about the internet.
Userlevel 7
Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insurance give you money back because you didn't claim an accident during the month? No. Do you car payments go down if you stop using your car? It is NOT reasonable at all to ask for money/credit/bonuses, etc just because you don't use your whole plan. The fact is, that plan SAVES you money instead of having everything separate. Not gonna use all your data? Get a base plan + data add-on but it will cost you more than a voice+data plan. You just can't have it both ways. Save money on a voice+data plan plus save even more when you don't use your plan? No... 3. Don't want to pay $60 because you don't think you will use data? Then get the $50 plan... Same thing but with no data... Problem solved 4. This just wouldn't even make sense at ALL. If you use 3GB one month, you will pay X amount for the overage. Koodo is going to bill you before the second month is over. Okay and lets say the 2nd month you use 1GB... Koodo would have to then credit you the overage? This would create HUGE confusion amoung customers (this is a FOR SURE. Look at proration alone. simple concept.) and Koodo's system might not even be able to do that. These really seem like unrealistic ideas, IMHO.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

Didn't you recently berate Timo for what you perceived to be a rude reply to a question? Isn't this ironic? Please check your attitude at the door. I expect some manners from a Mobile Master. And your opinion really doesn't sound humble when you attack me (and others) like that. You don't seem to be able to just disagree with someone here, you have to put them down. That's why I (and many others) usually don't participate in most online forums. And if I want a problem solved, I'll post a question, not an idea.
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

Lol. You're the only one who seems to have a problem with my post. I got stared by others who clearly agree with me. Also, I love that you have no points to counter mine. You actually think THIS is attacking you because my points actually make sense and the only thing that you might POSSIBLY take offence to is the "ridiculous" part. You REALLY need to learn the difference between a disagreement and someone "attacking" you. I appreciate your concern though:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

I typed out a ten paragraph response, which I deleted because you do not deserve to be debated with when you take that tone. Please keep your sarcasm to yourself.
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

I'm sorry, the mobile master is the only one here making logical sense. Look at going to a restaurant as an example. Do you expect.to only pay.for half a.meal If you can only eat half? Not at all, why should you get a rebate for using only half.of your data?
Userlevel 6
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

Well, I agree that something like this has never been seen anywhere else before, we can all agree on that. However, suggesting it doesn't make the person stupid or irrelevant. Koodo has historically been about bringing in new ideas, and this is just that, a new idea. I agree with Ahmad in the sense that we buy buckets of data+voice+txts and we pay for the whole whether we use it or not. That is a given, and this is the way it works with everything else in life. However, I also agree with ile2010 that it would be a good idea! Although highly unlikely to happen, I like it and if Koodo brought something like this, people would shed a different look at how they shop for cellphone plans. Simply suggesting it doesn't make it automatically bad...
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

ile2010 - I think these are brilliant ideas! Directed to the Mobile Master; the sarcasm and condescending attitude isn’t necessary, neither is the constant capitalization of words you wish to emphasize, try underlining. We know how to read. If you don’t know how to form objective commentary, please keep your comments to yourself. Thank you. Anyone can come up with any number of scenarios to disprove an idea and most of these rebuttals have nothing to do with the topic at hand. To compare car insurance claims and whether or not you will receive money for not claiming an accident or car payments that don’t stop if you stop using the vehicle and half-eaten meals is ludicrous and here's why. The sky is the limit, mobile wireless providers can configure their rates and services any way they see fit in order to remain profitable and competitive. Most if not all wireless providers include this statement in their fine print; [i]"rates are subject to change without notice", this should be an indicator in itself. If the wireless provider sees these ideas as a viable and lucrative venture, then I really can’t see any reason why that would stop them from moving forward and implementing these ideas. Incidentally, by not making a claim in the first place, your premiums don’t rise and some insurance companies offer rate reductions or monetary incentives for those with excellent driving records. The car payment analogy is a given and a contractual obligation. True, car payments won’t stop, but if I’m seriously injured on the job, I have the peace of mind knowing that my car insurance company will look after my car payments. Koodo doesn't have any sort of contract per se, you can leave without penalty. Lastly, if half way through my meal I find something in my food, rest assured I will be demanding a full refund and so would you.
Userlevel 1
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

Ahmad, you are WRONG. When you do not have any accidents or tickets, you pay less and less depending on the category you fall into. If we go towards an insurance logic then yes, if you do not use all of your data, then your "premiums" should be lowered every year or every so many categories you fall into....
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

rikkster, my reference to eating only half of a meal you order doesn't include the provision that there was something in your food. It is meant AS written, if you only can eat half (Meaning you are too full to eat it all!!!) then you wouldn't expect to half the price for that meal.
Userlevel 1
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

Yeah, but if you go to the restaurant and only eat half your meal, guess what, you get a "DOGGY BAG" and bring it back home to eat next time you are hungry saving on the cost of your next meal. I cannot believe the comparisons I am reading on this post... They are nowhere near what bandwith and bandwith SPEEDS are...
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

either way we are talking about monthly usage, which as a common sense standard dictates you have x MBs or Gigs per month to use. if you don't use it all up you don't pay extra.because you are within your agreed upon limit. If you go over you have overage fees. industry standards here folks, it's a nice idea, but will never happen. Trust me, i work in the telecommunications industry and as much as i don't agree with certain practices within the industry, i understand them.
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

Actually the answer to your questions is YES. If you have less accidents, your insurance DOES go down over time (vs a new driver with no record). If your commute is 100 kms one way and mine is 10 kms 1 way, my insurance is cheaper. If you don't drive to work AT ALL (pleasure use only) then you do experience a discount on your insurance. In effect, yes you do get money back if you don't drive your car at all as well. If we each pay 500/month in car payment and you put on 5,000 k/month and I let mine sit, at the end of the 5 year payment plan my car will be worth way more than yours. What he is suggesting is similar to the pay-as-you-go rollover minutes, and its not unheard of in mobile. Perhaps you should re-think your "argument" next time and use examples you understand.
Ahmad wrote:

Number 2 is actually ridiculous the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. Does your car insura...

Comparing car insurance to sell phone monthly service does not make sense... one is mandatory calculated annually base on age and driving history... and still insurance companies regularly look for incentive to keep their customers and get more... the other is optional and anything that is optional should definitively have incentive to keep the customers in and attract more, it's simple common sense.... I never had a cell phone until 3 years ago and believe me, I would have no problem cancelling everything and going back to living without one... which I am seriously considering, I find the cost for adequate service to be way too high in Canada compare to what it is in the USA and many other places...

Reply