Feedback
$50 connection fee that was not explained?? | Koodo Community
Koodo Community
Question

$50 connection fee that was not explained??

• 12 September 2021
  • 4 replies

I wanted to switch to Koodo from TELUS with a BYOD plan, but I couldn’t register for a self serve account online through digital assist because I’m not a Koodo customer. I requested a call and spoke to someone who made several errors on my profile details (spelling of last name, spelling of email address, unit added to my address when there’s no unit). 

She never said anything about a connection charge, but started by registering me for an account which I couldn’t do online. Then she went on to ask me about plans, etc. which I didn’t need because I’d already decided, but sure.

When I finally got my confirmation email after she had to correct the spelling error in my email address, I noticed the errors in my name and mailing address address and pointed them out to her. She rushed me off the phone and told me I could “change all that by logging into self serve.” 

So we ended the call, I was able to log into self serve now that I had an account. But when I went to the profile section it was just a blank blue square. So I had to schedule another call back to get someone to fix that tomorrow.

Then I looked at the invoice in email and saw that there is a $50 connection fee ??? That was NEVER explained to me and I would have much preferred to set things up myself online but was not presented with that option. I’m honestly not going to switch to Koodo if they’re going to charge me for this so I really hope they remove it. Such a disappointing start.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The connection fee is automatically charged if you ask a rep to help you to get a plan or you go to the store. If you wanted it to be $0, you would have to buy from directly yourself from the online webstore.

Anyway, if you are new customer (I assumed you are within 15 days of purchase), you can always ask for refund & get your money back https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/returning-or-exchanging-your-koodo-phone

They never said anything about a fee. And there was not an option for me to buy online. I wasn’t buying a phone, just a plan, and didn’t know how it worked with switching carriers so just called to clarify that. Then the person started asking for a bunch of information to set up an account, and said NOTHING about a charge. 

Honestly she wasted an hour of my time setting up my account incorrectly and they don’t have any payment information for me so I’m not paying the charge and I’m not completing the activation unless it’s reversed. This is absurd and not transparent in any way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That'll require speaking with a Rep directly. I'd suggest sending a private message to Koodo via Facebook messenger or dm via Twitter to get it sorted out

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

They never said anything about a fee. And there was not an option for me to buy online. I wasn’t buying a phone, just a plan, and didn’t know how it worked with switching carriers so just called to clarify that. Then the person started asking for a bunch of information to set up an account, and said NOTHING about a charge. 

Honestly she wasted an hour of my time setting up my account incorrectly and they don’t have any payment information for me so I’m not paying the charge and I’m not completing the activation unless it’s reversed. This is absurd and not transparent in any way.

Not paying the bill would result in problem with your credit profile and collection agency might contact you later. I would suggest you not to do that. If you don’t want to pay, as I mentioned earlier, you can always ask for refund from Koodo. Go here www.koodo.com/chat and type “I want to cancel”.

Connection fee has been a painful part of new postpaid service registration. It happened to all carriers. Some do waive the fee if you do it online. Anyway, you could complain with rep when you talk to them and see what they could do. Hopefully they could help. This is the customer forum, we couldn’t help you to reverse the charge.